Is music positive (yes) or negative (no) in its entirety (includes music videos, industry and effects on individuals)?

Asked by: 4ThePeepulation
  • This can very easily go either way

This question is similar to asking are people negative or positive in their entirety. Of course it all depends on which genre of music you are talking about and yes while there is music that is very negative, I think the general idea of music is supposed to be uplifting and inspiring.

• Yes, music allows for expression.

Yes, the music industry in its entirety is positive, because it allows people to express themselves. People find a great deal of inspiration and soul in music. Music also helps the people who produce it to earn a living and profit. People like music and people like producing it. This is a win-win situation.

• Music's not pitch perfect but is positive mainly in the bigger picture

This is a short explanation for my EPQ. Music can have a polarising effect in many aspects. In terms of health mainly positive, not only used as a type of mental and physical therapy but can change peoples moods mainly for the better. It has charitable sides such as singles specifically for good causes through the music itself ( X Factor single and BandAid) and music videos (Fall out Boy- I'm like a lawyer...). Finally for positives, it is a big contributor to the economy through festivals, sales and "music tourism".
    For negatives, it can have a negative effect on listeners who see the people as idols and will follow their example in lyrics and videos. Music has seemingly become sexualised and also has began encouraging drugs and alcohol. This music is now present all over the top 40 charts, with fears about how the is may effect people from parents growing. This is grouped with the controversies (such as the "Emo cult") and crazy publicity stunts, despite this, it does to me seem like societies evolved to the extent that things are becoming less and less taboo. Finally there are rivalries which become of enemies in music sometimes involving death (2pac and Notorious B.I.G). But overall I feel the benefits are stronger than the negatives in all, I would love to hear what everyone else has to say!

• Just wanted a no answer The music video video for “Smack my b****h up” received a lot of opposition from feminises groups like the US

Just wanted a no answerThe music video video for “Smack my b****h up” received a lot of opposition from feminises groups like the US NationalJust wanted a no answerThe music video video for “Smack my b****h up” received a lot of opposition from feminises groups like the US National really