• Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive.

Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. His educational background alone is impressive. Some of his degrees include: BA in physics from Harvard and a PhD in astrophysics from Columbia University. He truly is a leader in astrophysical sciences, which shows his intelligence. He has written books, hosted a radio talk show and done research. Impressive!

• Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest and the most eloquent man alive.

Mr. Tyson has both intellect and the gift of explaining complex things in understandable terms. Some smart people can go on and on about a a particular complex topic, such as the solar system, and the listener comes away more confused and horribly bored by the talk. When Mr. Tyson explains something the listener comes away even smarter and also baffled by how such a complex subject, such as the solar system, can be so interesting.

• Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not only is Dr. Tyson extremely brilliant in the scientific world, he is a very eloquent speaker and seems to be able to relate to people on a level everyone can understand, making him a very effective teacher, advocate for the sciences, and a leader, really. He's got it all.

• Yes and No

Neil DT isn't the smartest man Alive, definitely not the smartest man in history(That would be Tesla), but, agreeing with most saying No, Im supporting the yes section, depending on where you are looking from, from a scientific angle, he did not contribute much, but from the teaching angle, he is the smartest person to do it! He might even make the next Einstein or Tesla due to his teachings.

• That Guy is good

His ability to respond to questions when asked in a short period of time is fascinating. I have watched Q&A and he nails it all the time. I mean all the time. The way his mind flushes out information is in my mind one of the smartest mind's around today.

• Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the Smartest Man Alive

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a black scientist. That is the main reason for the no votes. Many people in this world do not approve of black people doing science, let alone succeeding in science.

In the 1950s, the man most trumpeted in science was Albert Einstein. In the 1950s, he was considered the smartest man in the world.

In the 2000s, the most trumpeted man in science is Neil DeGrasse Tyson. In the 2000s, the man considered smartest in the world is.....Some other white guy no one's heard of.

Think about it, did Einstein have to apologize for being white. I think there may be a double standard in play here...

• Yolo Swagger Dagger

Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. His educational background alone is impressive. Some of his degrees include: BA in physics from Harvard and a PhD in astrophysics from Columbia University. He truly is a leader in astrophysical sciences, which shows his intelligence. He has written books, hosted a radio talk show and done research. Impressive!

• Sounds Smart to People Who Never Learned Science

I think the information he gives is dumbed down for non-science majors. Every time I hear his explanations, they just sound like things I learned in high school or college classes. I just think he's better at explaining them than the text books, which really do need to be rewritten for better communication.

• Shakin my head till the damn thing falls off.

I wish I could go out and paraphrase scientist hard work and dedication and end up being thought of as the smartest skdjfidkxjkcck
    I CANT EVEN TYPE IT ahhhh. Thanks for making science so hip and groovy tyson. Gee golly your such a swell guy is white people could never do such a thing.

• Science Educator Not Does Not Mean Good Scientist

Neil Tyson has about 13 published papers in scientific journals. You can check on the Hayden Planetarium website. He's most famous for his books on popularizing science. You don't need to publish a lot of peer reviewed papers, but they're not going to publish "The Pluto Files".

Einstein wrote 4 papers that changed the world in 1905. So much so it's called "Annus mirabilis", the miracle year. Einstein was about 26 when he did this.

Neil Tyson was around 33 when he earned his Ph.D. In astrophysics.

Then, a decade later, Einstein published the General and Special Theories of Relativity, changing the world yet again. This is what he's most famous for.

Oh, and Einstein also proposed the nuclear bomb.

Currently, Neil Tyson has had 13 papers published, over four times as many as Einstein did when he was half his age, yet none of Neil's work is groundbreaking, and many were written with other scientists.

I read Carl Sagan published over 600 papers.

• No he insults my intelligence

Neil deGrasse Tyson may make his cadre of incurious liberal fans feel good about themselves and reaffirm their faith in a set of common beliefs, but he routinely does them a disservice by steadfastly refusing to challenge their dubious preconceptions. It is a tragedy that such an accomplished man of great talent and intellect feels that he has no greater calling in life than to validate and reinforce liberal chauvinisms.
    So Smartest man alive NO intelligent yes but his use of it is linear and unremarkable and only used to advance his over-inflated ego.

• Not even close

I like him and he expains things in an interesting and casual manner. That being said, he has done no work or published anything to further science. Just being on TV with astrophysicist next to your name is enough for the average person, but true intellectuals judge you by your contributions and accomplishments.

• WHY is this even a question??...............

Holy WOW... This guy is an astrophysicist that has just been hyper up by media and now we are questioning him to be the smartest man alive?? He's smart, yes; but his conclusions are often very Bias/ONE SIDED, or outright false. He spreads lies and I think he knows it

• No no no

Ygyugufn6r if6ryvytt tt ttyvyfvytcytcgyj ytg gg gov vh hgjhfh cycry cy c yc rtcrt ty y yc gcc ghvtf yrt ftp yt trd dyt y ytfty gvjvty ytf tyf tft fft tft typ Neil is a retarded sizzle my nozzle fo rizzle i mean how can you even think he is the smartest if he is an ASTROLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• At any one time, deGrasse isn't the smartest man on the subway.

What are you people smoking? Astrophysics??? ASTROPHYSICS!!!!
    You are never the "smartest man in the world" when your field is astrophysics. That's like saying the smartest man alive is an astrologist.

• Pompous douche nozzle

Neil probably started this debate. I remember he was on Real Time with Bill Maher once (a fellow pompous douche nozzle) and he just came across as an idiot to me. Both in his behaviour and his opinions on topics he clearly had no clue about. So many ways to measure intelligence and I don't think this guy really comes close in any of them.

• No. No. No.

He is just well publicized. People who like to pretend like they are interested and educated in science don't know of any other scientists (except perhaps for Stephen Hawking and maybe Rober Penrose), and therefore conclude he must be the most intelligent, knowing nothing of his research and insights, the research and insights of others, or how original his statements are with respect to those of others. It's really quite annoying. I have little doubt that in their minds "Bill Nye the Science Guy" is the only peer Tyson has.