• Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive.

Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. His educational background alone is impressive. Some of his degrees include: BA in physics from Harvard and a PhD in astrophysics from Columbia University. He truly is a leader in astrophysical sciences, which shows his intelligence. He has written books, hosted a radio talk show and done research. Impressive!

• Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest and the most eloquent man alive.

Mr. Tyson has both intellect and the gift of explaining complex things in understandable terms. Some smart people can go on and on about a a particular complex topic, such as the solar system, and the listener comes away more confused and horribly bored by the talk. When Mr. Tyson explains something the listener comes away even smarter and also baffled by how such a complex subject, such as the solar system, can be so interesting.

• Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not only is Dr. Tyson extremely brilliant in the scientific world, he is a very eloquent speaker and seems to be able to relate to people on a level everyone can understand, making him a very effective teacher, advocate for the sciences, and a leader, really. He's got it all.

• Yes and No

Neil DT isn't the smartest man Alive, definitely not the smartest man in history(That would be Tesla), but, agreeing with most saying No, Im supporting the yes section, depending on where you are looking from, from a scientific angle, he did not contribute much, but from the teaching angle, he is the smartest person to do it! He might even make the next Einstein or Tesla due to his teachings.

• That Guy is good

His ability to respond to questions when asked in a short period of time is fascinating. I have watched Q&A and he nails it all the time. I mean all the time. The way his mind flushes out information is in my mind one of the smartest mind's around today.

• Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the Smartest Man Alive

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a black scientist. That is the main reason for the no votes. Many people in this world do not approve of black people doing science, let alone succeeding in science.

In the 1950s, the man most trumpeted in science was Albert Einstein. In the 1950s, he was considered the smartest man in the world.

In the 2000s, the most trumpeted man in science is Neil DeGrasse Tyson. In the 2000s, the man considered smartest in the world is.....Some other white guy no one's heard of.

Think about it, did Einstein have to apologize for being white. I think there may be a double standard in play here...

• Yolo Swagger Dagger

Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. Yes, I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson is the smartest man alive. His educational background alone is impressive. Some of his degrees include: BA in physics from Harvard and a PhD in astrophysics from Columbia University. He truly is a leader in astrophysical sciences, which shows his intelligence. He has written books, hosted a radio talk show and done research. Impressive!

• Not even close

I like him and he expains things in an interesting and casual manner. That being said, he has done no work or published anything to further science. Just being on TV with astrophysicist next to your name is enough for the average person, but true intellectuals judge you by your contributions and accomplishments.

• WHY is this even a question??...............

Holy WOW... This guy is an astrophysicist that has just been hyper up by media and now we are questioning him to be the smartest man alive?? He's smart, yes; but his conclusions are often very Bias/ONE SIDED, or outright false. He spreads lies and I think he knows it

• No no no

Ygyugufn6r if6ryvytt tt ttyvyfvytcytcgyj ytg gg gov vh hgjhfh cycry cy c yc rtcrt ty y yc gcc ghvtf yrt ftp yt trd dyt y ytfty gvjvty ytf tyf tft fft tft typ Neil is a retarded sizzle my nozzle fo rizzle i mean how can you even think he is the smartest if he is an ASTROLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• At any one time, deGrasse isn't the smartest man on the subway.

What are you people smoking? Astrophysics??? ASTROPHYSICS!!!!
    You are never the "smartest man in the world" when your field is astrophysics. That's like saying the smartest man alive is an astrologist.

• Pompous douche nozzle

Neil probably started this debate. I remember he was on Real Time with Bill Maher once (a fellow pompous douche nozzle) and he just came across as an idiot to me. Both in his behaviour and his opinions on topics he clearly had no clue about. So many ways to measure intelligence and I don't think this guy really comes close in any of them.

• No. No. No.

He is just well publicized. People who like to pretend like they are interested and educated in science don't know of any other scientists (except perhaps for Stephen Hawking and maybe Rober Penrose), and therefore conclude he must be the most intelligent, knowing nothing of his research and insights, the research and insights of others, or how original his statements are with respect to those of others. It's really quite annoying. I have little doubt that in their minds "Bill Nye the Science Guy" is the only peer Tyson has.

• No. No. No.

• Made up quotes and his defensive and flippant attitude in his defense of his made up quotes.

You can't be considered the smartest person in the world when you've not just misquoted people, but recounted quotes from people that were never said. I won't pontificate on the number and actual quotes he has used that have been proven to be in the range outright lies to dubious. The publication The Federalist has done a great job exposing this man as being untrustworthy to the point of buffoonery.

• Awareness is far more important

I know a few people with their third eye open. They are 100% accurate on my past and present and tell me loads of things that come in my future. Can see illness inside of me and how to fix it. On my scale , Neil is retarded compared to that. And I have even seen the universe as a hologram. So , could i claim i am more aware of reality than Neil? An inaswerable question for sure.

Can we compare the power of an enlightened being to a scientist. Working on different levels.

• Education and career field are not related to IQ in any way

Most arguments for this are based on NdT's education and career accomplishments. While NdT is highly educated and has a career in astrophysics, there are countless people with PhD's and/or working in that field with far less than genius IQ's. Education is simply a matter of having enough money to pay for the requisite years at university and the persistence to complete the assigned work. Modern education at all levels centers primarily around ability to retain and regurgitate the content provided by one's teachers. It involves very little independent thought or innovation. IQ measures intelligence, essentially by measuring one's ability to comprehend, retain, and apply difficult concepts. At higher levels this usually translates to being able to grasp the material to such a level that one is naturally taking the information to new places beyond others' capabilities for comprehension. As for career, astrophysics, while somewhat complex, is not all that difficult compared to more abstract subject matter, such as quantum physics, and again has little to do with actual intelligence. NdT has never gone on record with a public IQ test, and for all we know is likely to have an average to slightly above average IQ. He has never pioneered any groundbreaking research of his own and in many areas he shows rather limited comprehension compared to the true geniuses in his field. NdT's primary accomplishments center around charisma and ability to simplify complex subject matter and make it more accessible to the masses. Neither of these are indicators of a great intellect. They are indicators of a showman and a great teacher. Both of which are noble traits, but neither of which ha anything to do with intelligence. In my estimation NdT is light years away from true geniuses like Mr. Hawking, Mr. Ung-Yong, Mr. Hirata, and others.