• For the record, I am an atheist.

"In Abrahamic contexts, sin is the act of violating God's will."
    - definition of a sin

I'm pretty sure that denying the existing of gods would be against the will of said gods.

Whether they exist or not is a different matter, because even if they did not exist, people attribute behavior and thoughts to their gods, and thus can give them a will, which in turn can be violated, no matter how imaginary that will may be.

• I think so.

I'm no Christian, but I think it is considered a sin to stand up and deny the existence of God. Of course, a benefit of not being a Christian is that I don't care if this is a sin or not.

In this same token, I can lust after others (which I do frequently and with relish) and not care that this lust is a sin. My not being Christian doesn't change the fact that it is considered a sin by the religion's established rules, it just means that I don't care what they label it as.

• This question makes no sense.

A sin is a religious term; And the answer of this depends entirely on what context your asking from. If you're asking a christian he'll reply that it is a sin, as dictated by the first three commandments. If you're asking an Atheist he'll just laugh at you because without a god there are no sins in a religious sense and that means it is a solid no. If you ask a Buddhist he'll say that it isn't because there is no literal god in Buddhism, it is a life philosophy.

This question makes absolutely no sense without a context. Since I'm a christian I answer that it is a sin to not believe in god but this varies person to person.

• Well, it wouldn't make sense.

And I've done my research on this. According to the bible, the christian god promotes free will amongst humans, which is why he doesn't prove his existence. However, if this is true, not believing wouldn't be a sin, it'd be common sense. I'd assume the Christian god judges based on character. According to the bible, those who are good of heart will be given heaven, not just people who believe in god.

The Quaran, the central religious text of Islam, is about truthfull ness and inner peace. Belief and faith are less important as inner well being.

Buddhism is similar to this, as it promotes inner peace.

There are many other religions out there, but they all agree that god is a all knowing and peaceful being. He is also a forgiving being. Someone doing something as simple as saying "I haven't seen god do anything, thus he doesn't exists" wouldn't guarantee eternal damnation.

• Sin does not exist, so definitely No!

Sin only exists if you believe in God, because a sin is a transgression against God's or divine law.
    If you don't believe in God, then for you there is no such thing as divine law, thus Sin cannot exist.

Only Theists can see themselves and others as Sinners!
    Those who disbelieve in God, also disbelieve in Sin.
    Atheists disbelieve in Sin, so they cannot see themselves as sinners and they cannot see any disbelief as sin.

Its only to Theists that disbelief in God is a Sin.

Factually, Sin cannot possibly exist.

• Seriously? What kind of God does that.

Torture for the rest of time because you had your own opinion in a limited life? If god does exist, I think everyone would be in his ' paradise ' considering nothing you can do this life can get you torture for the rest of time. A true loving god should know that.

• I don't think so.

If God is all-loving, which in my experiences has proven to be so, then he wouldn't be demanding worship, and he certainly wouldn't be condemning people to eternal torture for not doing so! Also, I seriously doubt that the self-esteem of an all-powerful entity relies on puny humans believing in him...

• The question makes total sense.

The question itself accepts the existence of a divine entity for argument's sake. If there were a God, would it be a sin not to believe in him/her?
    The answer is "No" in my opinion, because no matter which deity we're talking about here, if one does not believe in that deity, this person cannot be judged by the laws of that deity. "Sinning" means going against moral statutes established by some religion.
    If you believe in Christ, that means you do not consider yourself a sinner for not believing in Allah, for instance. You feel free of any sin. The same goes the other way round. So if you do not believe in a deity at all, the concept of sin doesn't exist.
    A sin would be to believe in God but then ACT in discordance and break his rules. Or be member of a church but not live according to its rules. Not believing in God takes you out of the equation, if you act accordingly and leave the society worshipping that deity.
    The ensuing question would be whether you would still be punished by God for not believing in him, but a SIN it is not. Easily enough, there are different words for that: a sinner is not a heathen.

SNP1 says2014-02-09T16:34:30.563
It depends on which religion this topic is talking about. Some religions would say yes, others would say no. If you are talking about everyone that answers personal belief, then mine would be no as no god(s) exist. No god(s) means no sin.
Comrade_Silly_Otter says2014-02-10T15:47:39.147
I hate these arguments because its so simple.

A true loving god lets everyone into ' Paradise '. Not torture for the rest of time.
Sagey says2014-02-11T11:18:50.063
Regardless of Religion:
If a God did give people Free Will, then it has allowed them to disbelieve in God, thus disbelief is God's fault for allowing disbelief.
If God wanted belief from those it gave "Free Will", God should give evidence that he/she/it exists, otherwise it is also God's fault that people disbelieve on the basis of no evidence for God. Because God did not give any evidence of itself.
Essentially if a God does exist, Atheism or non-belief in God is all God's fault in the first place.
1: Allowing Free Will to Disbelieve.
2: Not providing enough evidence of itself to convince those with Free Will to disbelieve that it exists.
Simple isn't it.
Atheism is thus, definitely, God's own Fault!
Thus it cannot be a Sin, because God is to Blame!