• For married couples, not wanting children is very selfish.

The Pope once stated while addressing the issue on whether or not it is selfish for married couples to decide not to have children that, "The choice to not have children is selfish. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished." What the Pope is saying is that children are a gift and that we should appreciate the life of a child and do what God intended married couples to do, as it states in the Bible in Genesis 1:28 "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." This clearly shows that married couples who choose not to have children are being very selfish and God clearly states this in the Bible.

• Extremely irresponsible and unfilial.

Raising children is our greatest duty towards our ancestors? Without human children, who will inherit the spirit of our ancestors, the ideals and values of our parents? To have the family's bloodline come to an end at your generation by not having children is one of the most shameful things you could do. Using your career, financial situation or whatnot to excuse yourself from this moral responsibility means that you're focusing on your own interests and not those of your family. That is selfish. 'There are three things which are unfilial, and to have no posterity is the greatest of them.' (Mencius 7.26)

• Yes it is

Not only are you egotistical and selfish, you're a devolution. It is evolutionary standard that people have children, we are PROGRAMMED to reproduce and you cannot deny that urge or you're a devolution.

If you do not want children, you are not an adult. Grow up, get a job, get married and have kids like a NORMAL HUMAN BEING. I am so sick of seeing people in their late 20s and early 30s, especially women who are childless and not married, it's just a sickening and sad sight to see that these people have no lives and just sit around self-indulging and being so inconsiderate. Welcome to the real world, now BE NORMAL.

• How is it selfish?

Sometimes it is dangerous for a woman to have a child, based upon that surely health is the priority over the danger to a woman. Okay, religions such as Islam encourage followers to be in a couple and have children, they accept it isn't always practical to have children due to money and safety. It is not selfish.

• As anyone why they want kids, they'll start with "I wanted"

People have kids because they want them, making their actions selfish. People who don't want kids care about themselves more, but are not technically selfish because that would require them putting themselves ahead of someone else. The most selfish people are actually the ones who have kids, because they could have adopted. Also, if someone knows they would not be a good parent they are doing the right thing by sparing any children from having a bad childhood and being a problem for society.

• Its not selfish

If you do not want a child that just means, maybe you don't want to live with the responsibility of taking care of a child. Or maybe you don't have a stable income to afford another human being. Some women don't want to deal with the pain of child birth. What ever the reason is, why someone doesn't want to have kids is their own personal reason. The worlds already over populated.

• No creating children Is selfish

The children didn't choose to be born and then need suffer and die. The children need to keep working hard forever or else they will suffer even more. And you can't give them everything they desire, or even what they need sometimes. And you only want children because you want it and the children didn't even ask for this curse of life. And the world is all ready filled with humans (circa 8 billion). You only make children for your own happiness.

• For married couples, wanting to have children is very selfish.

In response to your Bible quote, God may have said that. However, we are way past "replenishing the earth." At this point, we are KILLING it. The earth is overpopulated and humans live beyond their resources. To have MORE children is to deteriorate the earth faster and further exhaust our God-given resources. Why do you even want to have children? To adhere to your primal instincts? To leave behind your "mark" on this earth? Well, your carbon footprint's a pretty big mark alright. That's pretty selfish in my opinion.

• Just the opposite!

If I know I would be a bad parent, why force kids to suffer? I would never force a child to live with me if I didn't want it. The same goes for poor couples who can't afford to raise a kid. It is selfish to raise a kid in a horrible, abusive environment.

• No, no, and no!!

If someone chooses to not have children, then that's their decision and shouldn't be anyone else's business. It's very ignorant for people to call others selfish for not doing what society expects us to do. What is the woman is barren? Also, there are pregnancy complications that should be considered before jumping up and saying "I want children."
    What a woman does with her body is no one else's business. Don't judge!!

• No. What is selfish is to have children when you are not financially and emotionally ready.

There is nothing selfish about not wanting children. Maybe they are not financially stable. Maybe they are not emotionally ready. They in fact are unselfish because they know they are not capable of taking care of an innocent child. What IS selfish is to bring children to the world that you cannot financially and/or emotionally take care of as seen by the millions of children in the US on food stamps and other government assistance programs.

• How is it selfish?

This claim does not hold water. How are you being selfish by wanting the childfree lifestyle? Parenthood may be the norm, but it is not a necessity. People are capable of living happy and fulfilling lives without raising children and can contribute to humanity in other ways. Deciding to or not to be a parent is an individual choice.

• NO! - what is selfish is to have children and then be a bad parent.

I am biologically female and perfectly capable of conceiving, however I am a narcissist, I am selfish, I have aspergers and a malign streak. I don’t like children, I don’t like the way they smell, the way they make eye contact, demand things of you…the idea of a child craving your own nurturing hand revolts me more than pregnancy. I can state with certainty that I would not be a good parent. A child needs love, affection, commitment and patients and I could give it none of these things. I would be a dangerous parent – and personally, I think it would be incredibly selfish of me to have a child when I know this of myself.