Is Obama's claim that ISIS is not Islamic correct?

Asked by: abyteofbrain
  • ISIS and ISIL are an absurd, hyperbolic misrepresentation of Islam.

ISIS and ISIL are an absurd, extreme misrepresentation of Islam. There are many types of Muslims in the world and majority want peace. They DO NOT want to live in a caliphate ruled by ISIS and ISIL. This tells me that these two groups are indeed DESPERATE, POWER-OBSESSED misrepresentations of Islam.

The vast majority of Muslims in the world want to leave in peace and want to realize their dreams without ISIS/ISIL dictating how they should live. The vast majority of subscribers of Islam are just like you and me. ISIS/ISIL have nothing to offer but death and hate. Muslims and the great majority of people on the planet reject them as a lunatic fringe!

• I believe so

Islam is a religion of peace and no true Muslims wants to see innocents killed. Most if isises victims are Muslims. The kkk members are not true Christians and al queda members are not true muslims.Religion is a scape goat for extremist groups to get what they want. Maybe isis is a radical interpretation of Islam but it is bit true Islam.

• Islamic is to ISIS as Christianity is to the KKK.

Unless all Christians are coming together and saying the Klan, or Westboro Baptist, or the Crusades, or the Spanish Inquisition are Christian, you have no business calling ISIS Islamic. The Christian bible teaches that killing people is wrong yes? (except for all those inconvenient reasons you like to ignore, like wearing clothes of both linen and cotton) So does the Qu'ran, and in exactly the same way. Both books say some startlingly idiotic things, but I know my christian neighbor is no more or less likely to murder my atheist butt than my muslim neighbor is. Because neither of them are murderous jerks, even though their crazy books appear to make killing 'okay' to the uneducated reader.
    ISIS is a bunch of murderous, power-hungry psychopaths. Just like the perpetrators of southern lynchings, and of "God hates" signs, and torturing pagans in the 10th century.
    The same goes for me and mine, if it was reasonable to call Atheists a group (news flash: we're not). If Atheists, or rather people who claim to be Atheists, started killing Church goers tomorrow, I would disown and disavow them. They would be demoted to "murderous pricks", because when you do evil things, you don't get to call yourself what I call myself anymore. You are now apart. You have become something separate and orphaned and alone, solitary from whatever you choose to call yourself. You are not one of US anymore. Because WE hold ourselves accountable to a higher morality, and if you can't get with that, you're out. Bye Bye.
    I bet if you asked any Muslim on the street tomorrow if ISIS is Islamic, they'd tell you the same thing. "Those horrible people aren't part of US. They do not represent US. So if I am what is called Islamic, then no sir, they are not Islamic. They are nothing like me."

• Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace

Ever since the 1979 Iranian revolution, crazy misinterpretations of Islam have hijacked the meaning of Islam. They inspired Taliban and Al Qaeda, and later isis. Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace and tolerance and acceptance, but the whole sharia law movement has destroyed those. Sharia countries are very un accepting and unforgiving. Islam doesn't stand for this.

• Obama pulled a No True Scotsman fallacy.

He claimed that they aren't true Muslims because of the way they act, when their actions are consistent with the Qur'an. Shari'a law comes from the Qur'an, and Islam was previously ruled by the Caliphate. ISIS seeks to impose Shari'a law and re-impose said Caliphate. Obama's pulling the No True Scotsman fallacy either to avoid seeming islamophobic, to avoid inspiring islamophobia in others, or simply not to anger more Muslims.

• Perhaps they may partially not be

Islam does condone the killing of certain people. ISIS may contain non-Islamics, because they do things that seem to me to be out of the Islamic moral code. Yes, ISIS does seem to be following Islamic morals in general though, and they do claim to be Islamic. They are not (as a majority) terrorists, but they are instead radical Islamics.

• As an Englishman living in a secular society I am not immune to the bias. But I can see beyond.....

My observation is that most Jehadists hold a genuine belief and this accounts for their actions. The western world has become a largely irreligious entity and the so called freedoms we hold so dear are, in part, a facade. If you consider how society is organised and how moral standards appear to be in decline it is no wonder that the extreme opposing view will be to regard the West/USA as 'the Great Satan'. Drug and alcohol addiction paralyses much of the western world, prostitution, violence, corruption are all common place. Materialism brings with it shallowness and hypocrisy and I can comprehend the Jehadist viewpoint. This does not mean I agree with it, I'm a white professional Englishman, very conventional in most respects...So I prefer to see a more peaceful route to a new world order. The teachings of the Quran are, I'm sure, open to wide interpretation. An extreme interpretation does not mean that a believer in not Islamic.

• Not from a secular standpoint

From an observers standpoint, not from one of a muslim who has any knowledge of the quran, the answer has to be no. Obviously, if the teachings of the quran were to be considered, one could make the argument that they aren't "true" muslims because they don't adhere to the teachings of their proclaimed faith. But they are muslims because they claim to practice islam and follow the quran, and they can't be discounted as such simply because they're bad muslims. In the same way, christians cant write off other sects of christanity they disagree with as "not christian" because from a secular standpoint they all proclaim to be christian and follow the bible therefore they are. Its a true scotsman fallacy.

• The Qu'ran says they are..

It is only through intentional deception or extreme ignorance that people can claim ISIS is un-Islamic. What possesses people to toss around platitudes and false adjectives to protect an ideology that has butchered people for 1,400 years is a mystery to me. There exists the claim that Islam is a religion of peace, but no example of peace can be found in the life of Muhammad, or the first Islamic caliphate spread by the sword shortly after his death. We've witnessed 3 massive genocides and numerous conflicts around the world least we forget the proliferation of Islamic terrorism only to be told that the ideology isn't a factor in the actions of it's adherents. How many Islamic "charities" have to be shut down across the West for funding Jihad before admit the problem lies with ideology? How many Islamic clerics must preach Jihad against the infidels before we acknowledge the problem is in the foundations? I submit to you that if the Salvation Army were funding anything remotely similar to Jihad, the condemnations of Christianity would be manifest. The pre-9/11 mentality was a complete lack of understanding and utter ignorance of Islam and I submit to you that people that are still no more sufficiently studied on Islam uncritically and without question repeat mantras and have become accomplices to an all encompassing ideology that has existed before and surpassed the totalitarian ideologies of the 20th century. ISIS is the poster child for Islam in the 21st century.

• ISIS is pure Islam

Ignore the endless debates about the peaceful versus violent nature of Islam and take a long, hard look at the Islamic State. ISIS is Islam, exposed in all its cruelty and ugliness, unchanged since Muhammad.

The atrocities committed by ISIS are merely an extension of the atrocities committed by Islam’s prophet.

The true Five Pillars of Islam are: Slaughter, Intolerance, Oppression, Hatred, and Global Dominion, because Muhammad was a slaughterer, intolerant, oppressive, hateful, and drove his armies to destroy everything and everyone that stood in the way of his establishment of a world caliphate.

Muhammad said to the people of Mecca, “I have brought slaughter to you,” then he beheaded every Jewish male, young and old.

ISIS mutilates and crucifies men, women, and children because its prophet did. When ISIS hurled a homosexual man from a tower, and the crowd waiting below stoned him to death after they saw that he had survived, they were only following the example of their prophet who stoned homosexuals.

The only difference between 1,400 years of slaughter by Muslims, who follow the practices of Muhammad, and the carnage carried out today by ISIS is that today’s atrocities are broadcast throughout the world by social media.

Unexpectedly, social media has also made ISIS a blessing to the Muslim world, enabling Muslims to see the true face of Islam.

Hatred is what your religion requires of you, not just ritual washings. Slaughter is what your prophet demands of you, not just daily prayers. To follow Islam is to commit your life to jihad, to the destruction or subjugation of all non-Muslims in the name of the god of Islam.

But thanks to ISIS, you can free yourself from the lies of Hezbollah, Hamas, and Al-Jazeera, if you have the courage. They cannot protect you from a western conspiracy, because there is none. Your enemy is Islam, not America.

When you recognize that ISIS is Islam, you free yourself from the naiveté of world leaders who tell you that ISIS is an anomaly of Islam, leaders that, I am sorry to say, include US President Barack Obama, who told CNN’s Fareed Zakaria recently that, “There is an element growing out of Muslim communities in certain parts of the world that have perverted the religion, have embraced a nihilistic, violent, almost medieval interpretation of Islam.”

But it is those who deny that Islam is “nihilistic, violent, almost medieval” who have perverted the religion.

ISIS is Islam. Religion by the sword. Religion by intolerance and violence. Religion commanded by its prophet to conquer the world, behead apostates, mutilate thieves, crucify nonmuslims, and stone everyone that engages in sexual relations that disagree with Muslim laws and practices.

ISIS has torn the mask from Islam, giving the Muslim world a choice for the first time in fourteen centurie

ISIS must be stopped, yes. It is a threat to every nation’s security. More than that, it is a threat to the evolution of human consciousness.

• ISIS is pure Islam

• Quran and Hadiths.

I have read much of what the Hadiths and Quran say, I also am very careful in which hadiths I read. For sunni Muslims Bukhari and Muslim are the most authentic. You come across hadiths that say Muhammad was sent to fight the people until they say there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger. I also understand context must be applied but according to the Quran it is a clear book and provided the context for us, it is not open to debate. For instance in 9.29 where it says fight those who do not believe in Allah, muslim argue we take it out of context the problem is in the next verse 30 it tells us why we are to fight them. Jews made Ezra the son of God and Christians made Jesus the son of God. Case closed, Muslims are meant to fight any Christian who accepts Jesus as the divine Son of God. For the record I love Muslims I am Lebanese and grew up with Muslims but their religion is false and built upon hate, the more I learn about it the more I am convinced it is from Satan. I get accused of reading Jew or Christian sources but I only read Islamic sources, Ibn Kathir is the most accepted tafsir and read how violent his interpretations are. I thank God most Muslims don't follow Islam properly.

• Isis is an extremist Islamic group

Some of the quotations from the Quran support death to infidels and anyone who would criticize the words, works and deeds of their prophet, Mohammed. Isis has carried out these principles and has declared its intentions to establish a caliphate with sharia law. Some of the recent atrocities in Iraq and Syria have been doled out to other Muslims.