• Obesity is a disease

Obesity is a health issue that can lead to heart failure and diabetes. It can be treated with operations or medicine, so I would classify it as a disease. It is curable, but it plagues millions of Americans. It is an epidemic and it must be treated. It is self inflicted, and it can be fixed.

• Obesity is a disease

A disease is generally thought of as an abnormal state, or a condition that prevents the body from functioning properly.

Obesity is a disease because it impairs the functions of a normal body b/c excessive fat tissue causes the overproduction of molecules that can lead to abnormal food intake. Just as diabetes results from the body’s inability to regulate blood sugar, obesity results from the body’s inability to regulate energy balance.

• It is NOT

I have been obese all my life. I consider myself healthy. I eat healthy, I work out and I'm not lazy. The people who decide that its a disease can shove it. We are all different. I don't know why most jerks can't accept that. It's time to stop and move on to another important subject.

• A Genetic Condition but Not a Disease

Scientists, even today, do not classify obesity as a disease but, rather, as a factor that leads to diseases, such as diabetes. In other words, obesity is more of a path to diseases and not a disease but a condition that can be controlled. Genetics, of course, play a big role in obesity but so do the environmental experiences, including the diet the kid or adult chooses.

• No One Force Feeds an Adult

Obesity can be controlled with a well-balanced diet. If someone eats the same greasy diet of burgers, pizza and beer everyday, then of course obesity will be a problem. An obese person means something is out of whack in their body. Having the body's digestive system go crazy means something must be fixed before it is too late.

• No, obesity is more related to poor self-control and poor eating habits

I do not feel that obesity is a disease, but rather a condition brought about by poor eating habits and poor self-control. While obesity is, in some instances, a result of a genetic condition or side-effect from a different illness, it is usually caused by a lack of exercise combined with an unhealthy diet.

• No

It is an addiction. I am overweight, and I am/was addicted to food. Food is very addicting to many people, and with the inclusion of a soda, it can be extempore pleasurable. Why do I like sex? It feels good. Why do people like tobacco and alcohol? It feels good. Eating food feels good. It is an addiction.