• Think of the health care costs.

You may think it comes down to the personal liberty on the part of the person, and you would be right - except the rest of us have to pay for their health care costs, which happen to be one of the biggest fiscal problems the United States has at the moment.

• Yes, it is, we need to take drastic measures to fight it.

I used to think that the government had no business in combating and fighting against obesity, but now I think that there is a role for them to help. The fact is, obese people put a strain on all of our systems, so we need to take drastic measures to fight it.

• Yes, But Within Reason

All issues of public health are the government's business within reason. That's why the government exists. It's supposed to regulate things for the public good. However, the ways it goes about doing it sometimes is both absurd and stupid. Bloomberg's ban on soda sizes, for example, was extremely ill conceived.

Posted by: rpr
  • Government should help, but they should do it the right way

Most people in America are obese, which means they can't prevent this themselves. The government should step in and lend a hand to help because 3/4 of U.S. population are obese and can't seem to find a way to prevent/stop this themselves. They tend to choose cheaper, more convenient foods that are not natural or healthy, since money is a big problem these days. This is where the government should come in and raise awareness of the food people eat and perhaps raise the prices of the junk food and put the healthy ones for a reasonable price.

• I believe so.

Hear m out for a moment. Think about what Obesity is. A health problem correct? Currently health is being regulated by the Government. Obesity is now indirectly connected with it. People may believe it is a personal problem, but is it? People who are Obese, choose to be obese? Really? I highly doubt that. That's like the government shouldn't help people with arthritis. They don't want those things but they didn't really choose it. Not a good comparison because Obesity is caused by an excess of eating which was a personal choice. But what about those with arthritis that gained it with the help of cracking their knuckles. Food for thought. Get it?

• Because it does because there is not a pancake

Pancake is good with sirup and and and cheese boogers .Ugefugiweffrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeytttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttbvvvvv vvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvv vvv vv vvv vvvvvv vvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvv vv v v v v v vvvv v v v v

• Because it stupid

Jeiojfoiehwfoihf eioj iow jfoiewjoiewoijfoiewioioe iiojfeio wjfioj eoi wj iofjewi jio jof eij oiej foi oe joij foewij ooe oie jroi joieji eo oiewjoifjdihfpiu euih dui fniedhfm[[oei fjeisoj oifpjewiojoiejoiwsj oidwo [ow owij oiwjdskm cdifdjknvcjv ifojdoijfskh idhfiuspjjihd sihfjiodsjeioj c]. 9eyfi suhddnfundsnfsdifuoshuefh seuhf uishd fd fshdfhs jbdfjs ifse eius d nfsj dkfuishdf sojfnsd.

• Because it stupid

• It's the individual's choice.

Even though the individual can choose to be fit or obese, it is not of the government's controlling. I thought the ban in New York over supersized drinks was ridiculous. I personally eat healthy and it takes money out of my pocket very quickly. Eating healthy costs a lot more than eating at McDonald's for example. Some people also can't waste time working out. My mother who is an emergency nurse spends almost everyday at work and when she comes home, she can't workout or spend extra money on food. So it shouldn't be the government's business. Some people just can't do anything to help it.

• Personal choices with personal consequences.

My weight does not infringe on others' rights, regardless of whether I'm overweight, underweight, or healthy. For those who have health issues, they'll pay more because they'll have more problems. But would you force the mentally ill (depression, bipolar, etc.) to pay more because they won't just "snap out of it," or because their environment/attitude contained risk factors they should have avoided? They'll pay their own price, but the government does not have the right to interfere with personal choices unless they infringe on others' rights. (Incidentally, this is why drug laws should be abolished.)

• Money and image are not everything.

Our rights to our own personal appearance and weight do not outweigh the monetary cost of overweight people. If our world was not so involved with money and image then this would not be an issue. If the government gets involved that is not only an invasion of my rights, but also demonstrates how they care more about the money then citizens.

• No, it is the person's decision.

I used to be very overweight, but I made the decision to run, eat right, and get in shape. Now I have run two half marathons. The government isn't going to be able to change people. Only the people can change themselves. Just get out there and run like heck.

• Generally It Is Not

You only get one life, so who am I to judge how you should live it? Some people like being fat. Maybe someone wants to break the world record. I'm not planning on that personally, but I can see the appeal. As it is some cost-benefit analyses show the correlation with early death means obesity saves us overall on health care costs. But unlike the other side I'm not going to demand people all become obese just to save myself money. The only consideration should be that everyone is educated about health as children and we get total access to information on food ingredients and their effects through a website listed on every food item with the list of ingredients.

• It is the job of the private businesses and parents.

The government did not cause obesity. Even though they could have had prevented it, was not their responsibility and it should not be its responsibility to do so. If it does, then it should be look at as a deed not as the role. Obesity must be stopped by the parents. Yes, sometimes there are places that have very cheap products that obese families can afford- but you should choose more wisely