Is online education as effective as traditional on-campus schooling?

• Yes, Online schooling can be very beneficial & here's why

*Student can wake up an hour later if needed= no running late, no falling asleep in class, no being late missing material.
    *At your own pace- If you are worse at science than math, you can take many minutes to practice science while in traditional, its something like 50 minutes of each class. Focus on worst subjects- improve performance
    *more time for research- do not have to wait to get home, many online schools supply you with technology
    *more time to study- less time wasted walking to & from class
    *No useless class fillers such as movies/review games/assemblies
    *No group projects that require you to do most of the work bc of lack of work from partners
    *less stress- no need to stay up until 4 am typing a paper due for english/whatever because you can focus your day on your heftiest work for that day
    *teaches student to be independent- no asking friends what hw is do, can just check online if forgot & cannot copy friends hw
    *student doesnt need to feel crappy all day working at school while sick, bc they are at home
    *not as many social distractions like drama to keep from doing work
    *if a student wants to cheat they WILL, online schooling makes it less tho because you have to do the work, not just copy from another person who did
    *depending on school, you can graduate early
    *ironically more close help with teachers because you can CALL them or email them and they answer quicker because their basis is online. Calling isnt that common in pub school plus you can only ask during that teachers class time not anytime during the day
    *more time for each student because public schools tend to have class sizes of 30 so less time for each student
    *good online schools require daily attendance and WILL call if you ditch
    *no social peer pressure that can be a problem for some kids & makes them anxious or distracted.
    *student cant doze off all day then ask friend- must manually do work/research
    Overall, as long as said student maintains social interactions and doesnt isolate themselves, and is able to keep up with their work as they would in traditional schooling, then Online schooling is very beneficial. Not for "lazy" people, because many public schools have lazy kids who just fall asleep then ask for their friends work. Lazy is not determined by school "type" but rather work ethic.

• helpful for working parents

I am a single mother to 4 children, if I was not able to take classes online, I would not have the time to go back to school and get my higher education. Between working full time and taking care of my family, there is no way that I can go sit in a class room to learn. With online I can learn from home and still care and provide for my family. I am so glad that I have the chance to a higher education so I can find a better job for myself and my family.

• Online education provides an excellent source for learning because each student can work at his or her own pace.

There are no distractions from other students and the lessons can be completed at a time that is convenient for the student. Online instructors are available to offer assistance if needed, so the student is not left to decipher the material on his own.

The lessons provided online are consistent for all students which corrects for the problem of one student getting a better teacher than another, as often happens in traditional schooling. Also, the cost of an online education is much less than what a traditional school would charge, making it available to those who may otherwise not be able to receive an education.

Posted by: TownWett
  • Online education is effective, and it can even help more students graduate high school.

Ordinarily, I would say I prefer on-campus schooling. However, I know of a school which has implemented an on-line program. There were several students who originally would have dropped out of high school. In the online class, they were not distracted by their friends, they were not caught up in school drama, and they were given a chance to succeed. Due to the success of this school, I believe online education is awesome!

Posted by: DizzyCasey
  • There are not Frat boys in the class

I have attended traditional, face-to-face, classes and without fail there is at least one frat guy, athlete, or someone hungover who has no real desire to be in class. They typically make comments that are out of context, misguided, and poor attempts to relive high school "cool." This distraction robe people of their chance to voice their own opinion. Often times the students with the most insight to give on a subject are not comfortable sharing their thoughts with a group of people where snide comments may follow.
    In the online forum, everyone has an equal voice. They are allowed to compose their thoughts and arguments before submitting them to the discussion, which results in more substance being added to the discussion. Eliminating the in class distractions of people who do not want to be there encourages learning and discussion.
    The self discipline of online learning is more in-line with the real world and career related tasks. Most people do not have supervisors or mangers giving step by step instructions. People are required to be meet deadlines and be responsible for participating.
    If you are self motivated, and can manage your own time online learning is for you. So long as you have the ability to learn on your own. This option requires you to search for answers and rely on your own intelligence to find answers to questions. Some people excel in this format, others need people demonstrating and lecturing material in order to grasp the content. d
    It really boils down to what kind of learner you are.
    There is no replacing the social aspect of a university campus. Everyone should experience the free learning environment. But that does not mean it is the best way to get a degree.

• Online education is as effective as traditional schooling, because it is just teaching in a different way.

Online education is as effective as traditional schooling, because students have to meet a certain grade criteria in order to get credit for the classes. Online schooling just offers a different means to get an education, and is a great way to do it for people who have children, or are trying to work and get a degree at the same time.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • It's actually pretty helpful

As a student with many health problems, Online Schooling gave me the opportunity to recover credits and catch up on material I needed whenever I would constantly miss school. On another note, I would work faster than half the entire class, so having the opening for a chance to work at my own pace was extremely beneficial.

• Yes it is more beneficial

It is more beneficial because students can study at their own pace, they don’t have other students that would a) slow them down if they work faster or b) be going too fast because they are behind in the subject.
    More time to study; no need to walk to class, all you need to do is go online on a computer or a type of device that can communicate with your teacher.
    Easy communication with your teacher in case you need help with something, i.E.) you can call them when you have a problem with a question.
    Easy way to research, instant access to the internet and puts less strain on your finger when you write, instead you type which is a) faster and b) more relaxing.
    Students have to pay attention during class because there is no one to help take notes for them in case they doze off or start spacing out.
    No peer’s to distract you with so that you can study intently and without any distractions.
    With online education, you get more opportunities to try new things that you wanted to try before or that you want to try because you are interested in and that it fascinates you.

• Online Education is better

Online education is as effective as traditional on- campus education because you still learn the same thing. It is also less money than going to a campus and it is more flexible. Online education is also a better option and choice for students who are not that out going or social.

• It is all in the Cicumstances

My father passed away and I haven't been able to focus. Does this make me lazy? No. It means I still am getting over something and I need a way to have a break while still complete schooling I am looking into this now and I hope that no one changes their opinion because of the people who say no.

• Its for lazy people

I work Full time graveyard (10pm-8am) Monday-Thursday, I go to the gym from 8:45am-9:45am, and commute to school (35min) everyday. I also work for the school 10 hours per week. Yet I have no problem making it to campus everyday. I am tired of hearing lazy a** people talk about how they don't have the time. Its called get the hell up off your lazy a** and go. I sit in a classroom and learn from a PROFESSIONAL teacher. I know people who did the online thing and all of their assignments were group projects. Their "Learning" was to just read out of a book that the teacher assigned. At a real campus, if you miss a day, then you miss out on crucial information. With Online degrees, there is no missing class. Which is exactly why online degrees were made for lazy people. Are degrading America. It is pathetic.

• IT IS NOT AS EFFECTIVE.

I took two online classes: World Geography and Spanish. I don't know where Greece is, and cannot count to 40 in Spanish, much less make multiple sentences. It is ridiculous the amount of information one can miss from online learning. After completing the online classes, with A+s might I add, I have had much more trouble than I should have with anything that had to do with Spanish or World Geography.

• From experience as a student, no.

I have taken both online courses and real-life ones, unlike most people on this thread. There is so much potential for distraction and cheating (open a new browser window...). I am at a top university in the US and never cheat, but I still feel as though I can understand the desire to. One is too distracted, and in a classroom setting you're forced to stay (rather than get up, as you can easily do with a computer and no supervision) and work and participate.

• They are able to ditch much more than they are able at real school.

Students that use the computer for a school might not want to learn that day and might take time off the computer. They are able to ditch much more than they are able at real school. Another thing is that not all students have access to a computer a home.

• On line education is not as effective as traditional on-campus schooling.

It all depends on your learning technique and ability to retain and comprehend the information that is provided for each assignment. I. for one, comprehend while in a classroom setting because my focus is not on things that are around me, but my lesson. I have a family, a husband and two teenagers that really need my attention when I am at home. If I was taking an online class, my focus would be on others things like making sure the kids complete their homework, doing the laundry, cooking, making sure that the house is nice and clean, tending to my husband, grocery shopping, and I can gone on. When I am at school, I am able to tune out all of my other task and focus on my lesson. I usually complete my homework assignments while at school so that I do not have to neglect my family's quality time. Besides, they need me and I need them!

• no way

if you want to see your child have a lonely life with no friends at all not even a teacher than something is wrong with you. your child won't have a social life and he/she wont take education seriously. yes traditional schools. boo online education. even traditional schools give you all the books to keep so i don't get it.

• They're pushing it on my Sixth Form... It's not working.

Whilst I'm online, I find myself getting distracted from the work I'm supposed to be doing (by taking part in online debates over it's effectiveness). Albeit anecdotal evidence and we can bang on about statistics all day, the bottom line is that online learning may be effective in some cases, but it's too accessible to distraction and has a long way to go to catch up with the tried and tested 'classroom' setting.

• Traditional is the way to go!

Traditional classroom settings provided the important social interaction between instructors and students. There is immediate feedback for problems and questions you may about material that is hard to understand. On a campus you have access to many help facilities, like writing centers, student service centers, library, and many nice instructors all eager to help you succeed.

• Learn more from hands on example and experience.

From my own experience, I have been more involved, stay more interested, and understand more information from being in a classroom setting rather than online courses. I like to see and experience examples and scenarios, that help me to understand concepts. I also like to ask questions and get immediate responses. I also like being in a classroom where other students can ask questions about something that I may have missed. In addition, I like to be in a classroom because the setting is typically ideal for concentrating and learning, and materials are usually available to aid in the learning process. At home, there is a limit on study materials that may be available, and there are many distractions (TV, kids, family demands, unexpected guests....)

• Online education is ineffective and a waste of time

I've always been more of a hands-on learner, so I never liked the idea of an online class. First, let me give you some background. I am a straight A student. I wasn't always a straight A student because in high school, I never bothered to do more than what it took to pass. Now, ten years after graduation, I care about my education. I work hard at learning the material and doing the best that I can. I always go to the professors for any kind of clarification. I finally got enrolled in an online course at my college, and found out online classes are worse than I thought. I feel so lost because there are far too many documents, far too many links to click for reading, posting, and commenting, and far too many mini assignments to keep track of. I am very organized, and I'm struggling with keeping it all straight. How would someone else do who is hardly organized at all?

But that is not the only complaint. I had to take a math class where both the professor and online had assignments. I learned far more from the professor because I received individualized feedback rather than a cut and paste answer that didn't even help. When I didn't use the right letter in my answer, it was marked wrong, even though the answer itself was right. My professor could show me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. I learn math in patterns. If something changes in the pattern, I get confused, don't know what to do, and I end up doing it wrong. The professor showed me how to tell the difference in patterns. The computer left me floundering with math jargon I didn't understand as my only means if figuring out problems. As if you couldn't tell, it wasn't enough.

Overall, I haven't had many experiences with online learning, but my experiences have been awful. I prefer having face to face access to the professor because having only emails to communicate makes me feel disconnected. I definitely don't feel like I learn even half as much from online classes as I do from traditional schooling.