Is online education as effective as traditional on-campus schooling?

• helpful for working parents

I am a single mother to 4 children, if I was not able to take classes online, I would not have the time to go back to school and get my higher education. Between working full time and taking care of my family, there is no way that I can go sit in a class room to learn. With online I can learn from home and still care and provide for my family. I am so glad that I have the chance to a higher education so I can find a better job for myself and my family.

• Online education is effective, and it can even help more students graduate high school.

Ordinarily, I would say I prefer on-campus schooling. However, I know of a school which has implemented an on-line program. There were several students who originally would have dropped out of high school. In the online class, they were not distracted by their friends, they were not caught up in school drama, and they were given a chance to succeed. Due to the success of this school, I believe online education is awesome!

Posted by: DizzyCasey
  • There are not Frat boys in the class

I have attended traditional, face-to-face, classes and without fail there is at least one frat guy, athlete, or someone hungover who has no real desire to be in class. They typically make comments that are out of context, misguided, and poor attempts to relive high school "cool." This distraction robe people of their chance to voice their own opinion. Often times the students with the most insight to give on a subject are not comfortable sharing their thoughts with a group of people where snide comments may follow.
    In the online forum, everyone has an equal voice. They are allowed to compose their thoughts and arguments before submitting them to the discussion, which results in more substance being added to the discussion. Eliminating the in class distractions of people who do not want to be there encourages learning and discussion.
    The self discipline of online learning is more in-line with the real world and career related tasks. Most people do not have supervisors or mangers giving step by step instructions. People are required to be meet deadlines and be responsible for participating.
    If you are self motivated, and can manage your own time online learning is for you. So long as you have the ability to learn on your own. This option requires you to search for answers and rely on your own intelligence to find answers to questions. Some people excel in this format, others need people demonstrating and lecturing material in order to grasp the content. d
    It really boils down to what kind of learner you are.
    There is no replacing the social aspect of a university campus. Everyone should experience the free learning environment. But that does not mean it is the best way to get a degree.

• Online education is as effective as traditional schooling, because it is just teaching in a different way.

Online education is as effective as traditional schooling, because students have to meet a certain grade criteria in order to get credit for the classes. Online schooling just offers a different means to get an education, and is a great way to do it for people who have children, or are trying to work and get a degree at the same time.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • Online education provides an excellent source for learning because each student can work at his or her own pace.

There are no distractions from other students and the lessons can be completed at a time that is convenient for the student. Online instructors are available to offer assistance if needed, so the student is not left to decipher the material on his own.

The lessons provided online are consistent for all students which corrects for the problem of one student getting a better teacher than another, as often happens in traditional schooling. Also, the cost of an online education is much less than what a traditional school would charge, making it available to those who may otherwise not be able to receive an education.

Posted by: TownWett
  • More effective and better oppertunities.

Online education is often more fast paced compared to on-campus schooling. Children don't have the luxury of zoning out, falling asleep, misbehaving, becoming distracted, etc. in an online environment. It's success is directly contributed to the amount of involvement necessary from the student. We are able to save money by hiring well-educated professionals to transcribe one specific lesson plan that will reach thousands of students nationwide. Charter schools are a great example of this. The students still attend a class like setting, but complete all lessons and objectives online while being supervised by a well-rounded educational professional who is skilled in most subjects. If we were able to continue the expansion of schools such as these, we would be able to school more children on an equal educational basis, hire less incompetent and poorly mannered teachers, and potentially create educational opportunities in otherwise underprivileged neighborhoods, societies, and cultures.

• The online experience is teaching self discipline

Online learning teaches us that we can learn the same material on our own. Not only that, we tend to use that same information daily. The distractions are limited as well as the projects require us to really induldge in our work. When it comes to real life experiences, a majority of online schools require us to do externships to recieve that real life experience. It also saves us time because some of us are not able to drop everything, move into a dorm and spend 9 hours a day in a classroom setting without falling asleep.

• I think online education is as effective as traditional on-campus schooling.

Depending on the way you learn online education can be even more beneficial than the traditional model. Online learning forces you to teach yourself subjects, which aides in comprehension and retention. However, some people need classroom atmospheres and learn best there. Ultimately it comes down to what is best for each student..

Posted by: LorenaH
  • Online Learning is Geared to Adults

Comparing online learning to traditional learning can be as effective as comparing apples to oranges. The reality is that the majority of people interested in online learning are adults who have real-life experiences in work and in families.

These people benefit more strongly from the high level of responsibility, technological know-how, and intense writing needs of the online platform. Sports, teacher guidance, an face-to-face correspondance is not a necessary platform of learning that the adult learner needs.

Most online learners already have experience in the field for which they are trying to garner a degree. Why should they leave their families at home, re-arrange their work schedules, and pay more in gasoline just to attend a traditional class? It's not necessary.

Another fact about online learning, though, is that just as not all traditional schools are structured the same way, neither are online institutions. I've taken college courses in all formats, and must say, that conversing with a Spanish instructor who lived and worked in Spain seemed much more beneficial to my education than attending a classe on-campus.

High school students may not receive the same benefits of online learning, and that fact cannot be too highly disputed. These kids need a liason from highly-gaurded life toward self-sufficiency. For that function, they would most benefit from the old brick schools we think of when contemplating college.

That's simply not as true for the adult, working population.

• Yes, online education can be as effective as traditional on-campus schooling.

Each and every student is different. Their brains function is different ways, and sometimes their concentration cannot be kept by traditional facilitated school. If online education works best for certain students and offers an option to learn more effectively, then I think that it should be embraced.

Posted by: Ch4ddMc
  • IT IS NOT AS EFFECTIVE.

I took two online classes: World Geography and Spanish. I don't know where Greece is, and cannot count to 40 in Spanish, much less make multiple sentences. It is ridiculous the amount of information one can miss from online learning. After completing the online classes, with A+s might I add, I have had much more trouble than I should have with anything that had to do with Spanish or World Geography.

• From experience as a student, no.

I have taken both online courses and real-life ones, unlike most people on this thread. There is so much potential for distraction and cheating (open a new browser window...). I am at a top university in the US and never cheat, but I still feel as though I can understand the desire to. One is too distracted, and in a classroom setting you're forced to stay (rather than get up, as you can easily do with a computer and no supervision) and work and participate.

• They are able to ditch much more than they are able at real school.

Students that use the computer for a school might not want to learn that day and might take time off the computer. They are able to ditch much more than they are able at real school. Another thing is that not all students have access to a computer a home.

• no way

if you want to see your child have a lonely life with no friends at all not even a teacher than something is wrong with you. your child won't have a social life and he/she wont take education seriously. yes traditional schools. boo online education. even traditional schools give you all the books to keep so i don't get it.

• On line education is not as effective as traditional on-campus schooling.

It all depends on your learning technique and ability to retain and comprehend the information that is provided for each assignment. I. for one, comprehend while in a classroom setting because my focus is not on things that are around me, but my lesson. I have a family, a husband and two teenagers that really need my attention when I am at home. If I was taking an online class, my focus would be on others things like making sure the kids complete their homework, doing the laundry, cooking, making sure that the house is nice and clean, tending to my husband, grocery shopping, and I can gone on. When I am at school, I am able to tune out all of my other task and focus on my lesson. I usually complete my homework assignments while at school so that I do not have to neglect my family's quality time. Besides, they need me and I need them!

• If the only aim is to obtain a piece of paper, or learn facts, there is surely no difference. I would not call that education, however.

Online instructors often do not have the credentials or experience of faculty who are hired to teach in-person. In online courses and schools, there are often there are very few to no opportunities to work on applied activities with experts (e.g. research). In my experience, online courses allow individuals to almost entirely ignore conflicting perspectives. In-person learning, requiring both oral discussion or debate and writing, will always require more diversity in problem solving and perspective-taking skills than an online course that requires only writing. However, I believe exposure to conflicting perspectives is one of the most important aspects to education; it promotes adaptive, critical-thinking and open-mindedness. The lesser one is encouraged to be open-minded, the more they'll struggle to learn how to see problems and issues from new perspectives, and provide novel solutions. Education is not only about regurgitation of facts, it's about learning to think critically and creatively. In-person courses are superior at that, even though I think also that in-person courses are weaker at promoting this than they should be.

• Its for lazy people

I work Full time graveyard (10pm-8am) Monday-Thursday, I go to the gym from 8:45am-9:45am, and commute to school (35min) everyday. I also work for the school 10 hours per week. Yet I have no problem making it to campus everyday. I am tired of hearing lazy a** people talk about how they don't have the time. Its called get the hell up off your lazy a** and go. I sit in a classroom and learn from a PROFESSIONAL teacher. I know people who did the online thing and all of their assignments were group projects. Their "Learning" was to just read out of a book that the teacher assigned. At a real campus, if you miss a day, then you miss out on crucial information. With Online degrees, there is no missing class. Which is exactly why online degrees were made for lazy people. Are degrading America. It is pathetic.

• They're pushing it on my Sixth Form... It's not working.

Whilst I'm online, I find myself getting distracted from the work I'm supposed to be doing (by taking part in online debates over it's effectiveness). Albeit anecdotal evidence and we can bang on about statistics all day, the bottom line is that online learning may be effective in some cases, but it's too accessible to distraction and has a long way to go to catch up with the tried and tested 'classroom' setting.

• Traditional is the way to go!

Traditional classroom settings provided the important social interaction between instructors and students. There is immediate feedback for problems and questions you may about material that is hard to understand. On a campus you have access to many help facilities, like writing centers, student service centers, library, and many nice instructors all eager to help you succeed.

• Learn more from hands on example and experience.

From my own experience, I have been more involved, stay more interested, and understand more information from being in a classroom setting rather than online courses. I like to see and experience examples and scenarios, that help me to understand concepts. I also like to ask questions and get immediate responses. I also like being in a classroom where other students can ask questions about something that I may have missed. In addition, I like to be in a classroom because the setting is typically ideal for concentrating and learning, and materials are usually available to aid in the learning process. At home, there is a limit on study materials that may be available, and there are many distractions (TV, kids, family demands, unexpected guests....)