Is over-specialization a problem that has disadvantaged humankind?

• Over-specialization is a problem that has disadvantaged mankind.

Overspecialization is a problem that has damaged mankind.Many times someone knows virtually everything about one topic and nothing at all about something else.Sooner or later the time will come when a problem will exist beyond a person's expertise and then they are in trouble because they don't know how to fix their problem.

• I Believe It Has

I believe over-specialization is a problem that has disadvantaged humankind. I believe humans are far too concerned with success. While specialization can be very important in fields such as medicine and science because of their complicated nuances, I believe it is very unnecessary in the field of humanities where people over use specializations for subjective topics.

• Yes, socially, and academically, it has

While the detractors are correct in stating that specialization is useful in and of itself as it has led to innovation and useful inquiry, I believe the author of this post is referring to the social phenomena associated with specialization, namely a heavy emphasis on the marketing of academia and liberal arts degrees in the United States, which has been encouraged by Congress' subsidizing of "higher education" institutions. Specifically, I agree with the previous poster that there is much overspecialization in the humanities, and there exists visible social and economic pressure to back that up. I believe education is intelligence plus character, and our current education system is horribly lacking in the latter of those two. All types of knowledge are useful to survive; if you want to be the best, be the best because you want to be, not because some 7th grade teacher tells you you have to be. If you don't want to be the best, who cares? Go do what pleases you, and better yet, you can do it well without being the best.

• No nigga damn

U a lame if u think yes. Lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel

• No, specialization is helpful.

In the past, when the world was a more simple place, it was important to know a little about a lot of general subjects. Nowadays, when the world has become much more complicated, it is important to specialize in order to become an expert in something. There is such an overwhelming flood of available information that it is impossible to know everything.

• It's led to innovation.

Nope. There's nothing at all wrong with over specialization. By allowing over specialization to happen, we have more people in tightly focused disciplines who are masters of their crafts and their professions. This leads to new research, new products, and new methods that we might not have otherwise seen in a world filled with generalists.

• It is not.

Over-specialization is not a problem that has disadvantaged humankind. In fact, it probably has the opposite effect and has greatly benefited mankind. This is because there are people who only focus on one thing and that allows them to make major leaps in their knowledge in that area and improving it.