• What's bad about it?

What's so bad about loving your country? Patriotism is a great thing, just depends on how you use it. Shouldn't you love the country that you live in? You should be happy about your country, and patriotism is all that really is. Heck, look at my username. I am a definite patriot. I love my country extremely. But, even though some people may use extreme patriotism to mock other countries or brag, it just depends on the extent. Most patriots are not rude, they just love where they live. Tell me, how is that a bad thing?

• Yes, but that doesn't mean blindness.

It doesn't mean blindly supporting every action America does and standing in silence but yes, be proud of your country and the individual progress that it has made is important. I oppose many things in America today...But I do not oppose America. I see so much progress, and some digression, but together as a collective whole, we are amazing.

• Being patriotic is a great thing.

It's important for people take take pride in their country. The country always deserves respect. Yes, you can disagree with the policies of others, but that does not mean you should hate your country. You were born there and you should love living there. Obviously you can move away, but the homeland still deserves respect and love.

• To a point, yes.

I am loyal to the original America and its principals as follows:
    "Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Amendment VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

No more. No less.

• Being proud of who you are!

American values, have taught us to this day that being an American is an honor! For those who are not American, they're is no need to get angry for this post. Now, patriotism is what started this country. Patriotism is what brings this country together. Without patriotism, America would explode in pandemonium, and everyone will feel indignant! Why do we celebrate these American holidays? Why do we stuff ourselves with turkey on Thanksgiving? Patriotism is what our founding fathers supported! Our country is a proud one. We are a nation that others look up to. Patriotism also explains that you are a true American citizen. So my answer is.....Yes.....Patriotism is a GREAT thing!

• Is patriotism A good thing?

Yes, but it must be tempered with understanding ... Guidance ... And the right motivation. I would wager that many fanatics around the world have considered themselves "patriots". Just because a person holds passionate views for their country doesn't mean they are a patriot. When views lead to misguided and/or illegal acts, by definition, the individual is a fanatic. This does not serve patriotism, or define a patriot. A true patriot will support & defend the interests of his or her country. They will acknowledge its authority. Last, but not least, they will avoid doing anything to harm it.

• Nothing wrong with it.

I can't believe people don't want to be proud of their country. For an example, if you fight for your country, you should be allowed to be proud of it. If you help make a community a better place to live, you would feel pride. The people opposing this are being ridiculous because when we say patriotism we don't mean it in the way they are describing it. Also addressing one of the other arguments, what is so bad about division? You need to make up your mind to as whether you want total equality, or culture. Because you can't have both.

• Moderation is Key: Like Everything Else in Life

There is nothing wrong with having pride in your country. Every country has aspects and accomplishments that its citizens can take pride in, and even celebrate. There is a difference between healthy patriotism and the extreme Fascist-like nationalism that many relate it to. Believing one's country has been selected by Divine Providence or ethnic/genetic superiority to stand atop of the rest of the world is something that is detrimental to societal progress. Having pride in one's place of birth (or wherever one may consider his or her home) is not something anyone should discourage.

• Patriotism. It is what has kept our nation intact.

When people say they are patriotic, they are not always talking about a nation. They are often talking about ideals that a country was founded on. I do not agree with a lot of what politicians in D.C are doing, but I am more patriotic than most people. I stand for the values and ideals that America was founded on. I do NOT stand for the destruction of those values by those in power today. They are taking what was good about America and destroying it in the name of safety and security. Just remember the quote by Ben Franklin. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

• Patriotism, defintition from Merriam Webster Dictionary: love for or devotion to one's country

I would say if you live in a country, that you should love it, which would be patriotism. Loving the country you live in is a good thing. That being said, I would have to say if you live in a country and are not patriotic toward its founding and principles maybe you should leave. There are plenty of other countries in the world to live in that have very different government models from that of the United States. I am, of course, assuming that this questions was posed about patriotism toward the United States, as Independence Day is upon us. There are always reason to be upset with events that are transpiring in the U.S. At any given time, the beauty of our system is we can change those things. Other systems of government do not have that ability. I would invite any person who is not patriotic toward the United States, or believes loving this country is dangerous, to go live in another country for a short while. Not a vacation, live there. You may change your stance on patriotism.

• There is no such thing!

Patriotism is just a fancy word for 'racism'. It is outward hate towards others because of your nationality. I am so fed up with annoying Americans always having a dig around the 4th of July because I'm British and they apparently beat us. Erm...Everyone who fought in the war of independence is dead, YOU didn't beat us..Your ancestors did. You can HAVE your independence..You would be a pain to look after. None of us here hold it against the Germans that we beat them in BOTH World Wars. Patriotism just turns to hate towards people from other countries and is never a calm, neutral feeling one may experience.

• Only in limited amounts.

Patriotism supports nationalism and pride in accomplishments which you had no part in. While this isn't "bad" in itself, there is a bit of psychology involved. A patriot would be more likely to ignore atrocities and human rights violations committed by his or her government. Patriotism is the act of identifying yourself with your country and/or your nation. You would be less likely to accept that your country is responsible for crimes if, because you identify, that blame trickles down to you. Patriots become biased in favor of their country and ignore facts that say also. This is also true of bipartisanship found in the United States Congress: people become too entrenched in their own ideologies they become willing to skew facts in their favor, because not doing so would weaken the position your party holds. If someone told you that your brother was a murderer, it's unlikely you would believe it. Extreme patriotism, or nationalism, can be extremely dangerous as you could see from studying the Third Reich. However, limited patriotism does have some benefits, such as a deterrent from treason or acting against the interests of your country.

• We think of objective decision making as a good thing.

That being the case, the introduction of an element that appeals strictly to one's subjective experience as being one of a particular community is surely a step in the wrong direction compared to the optimal state. While patriotism has served a purpose in advancing civilizations, often it has come at the cost of many lives - most of those lives being of the lower echelons of society. Wars are not fought by the wealthy, but for the wealthy. If individual liberty is of the highest priority, then the best decision would be to find a way to avoid the pitfalls of patriotism and find a higher element - one that keeps people working together without pitting large groups against each other for no reason other than different origins of birth (or equally wrong and arbitrary, different skin colors). Rights and freedoms should be provided to all, equally and without borders to limit a subjectively lesser group of people from obtaining those exact same rights and freedoms; nothing more, nothing less. Subjectively, we may believe ourselves and those of our respective groups to be superior and more deserving of special privileges in some way; objectively speaking, we are not. Patriotism is an element that sows that seed of presumed superiority and self-entitlement, and leads us into the territory of bigotry.

• I don't think so.

To start, I will point out that I am Canadian, so I can't speak from an American perspective. In my opinion, I find patriotism unnecessary. Why is pride in your country important? It seems to me that the most patriotic Americans identify with the Conservative ideology, but many of those who identify with the Conservative ideology disagree with the actions the current president takes in the white house. If that's the case, isn't patriotism a bad thing? Just my two cents.

• Patriotism is a bad thing

I think Patriotism is a bad thing, it is outdated. I believe that nation states are not very good, we should be one world. The whole idea of 'for king and country' is part of what causes and continues wars.If we could stop fighting other nations for economic gain then maybe the world could become a more equal place, maybe there would be less people starving. I've always thought it is irresponsible of us in the west to continue living at the level at which we do, but who amongst us would take a cut in their standard of living to ensure that other people around the world would have an increase in their standard of living.I am proud of being English, and sort of proud of my country, a little bit ashamed of our past (the imperial side of things) but I would hope that I can be proud of it in the future if (eventually) we do become part of a larger state in the European union. Maybe we will be paying for some Bulgarians to have a better life, but isn't that better than just ensuring that our people are living it up whilst others struggle?

• Patriotism encourages blind loyalty and obedience.

I'm all for community involvement, loyalty, and service, but the concept becomes corrupted when it is expanded to a nation. We have a direct effect on our community's character and leadership, but very little real impact on the nation's direction and governance. Patriotism gives a distant government far too much power over the people and encourages corruption.

• No, not always.

Patriotism is not inherently bad either. Its relative ethical value depends on how it is use. On one hand, it can create a sense of community that helps keep a society connected and working together. But that unity can turn sour when there is an excluded group. Patriotism promotes the idea that one group is superior to other, which is not a healthy way to think about other countries.

• No, patriotism isn't inherently good

In a country that is comprised of people from all different nations, excessive loyalty to one's homeland creates division. While there are many great things about living in America, there are also many things about my countrymen that embarrass and disappoint me. The pledge says "one nation, indivisible", but we have been divisible since this country was formed. North vs. South, black vs. White, Christian vs. Non-Christian, Republican vs. Democrat, straight vs. Gay...The list goes on and on. There is always a certain segment of our population that would gladly take away the rights of others (or suppress their ability to be treated equally). We need to quit defining ourselves by our nationality or religion and start defining ourselves as equal members of the human race, each worthy and deserving of freedom and opportunity.

• No different from blind faith

Suppose your country does something wonderful, like providing aid to struggling countries. Great! That's just dandy. If you're a patriot, though, you ignore or deny all the terrible things your country does. Does it feel good to say, "I love my country"? Yes. You had literally nothing to do with anything except that you were born in its territory (or have parents who are citizens, depending on the country), but that's fine. Whatevs. Does your patriotism help anyone? Heck no. If anything, you're making things worse by being biased and turning a blind eye toward your country's shortcomings. Do away with patriotism and look your country straight in the face. Question authority. Improve your country by admitting that it's not perfect, or in some cases, even good. Screw patriotism.

• Patriotism is not a good thing

Patriotism is the support for one's country, although the level of support can vary. However, inherent in patriotism is the idea that duty and loyalty to one's country is more important than rational thinking. Patriotism has led normal individuals to commit terrible acts by believing that their actions are for the good of the country. Patriotism has led to countless wars and genocides, all because certain people happened to be born in certain regions (which they had no control over), and because the people who run their governments made some bad decisions. Patriotism has not resulted in any good, but has resulted in countless conflicts.

Luggs says2013-07-04T20:50:47.933
Geez, DDO is split on this one.