• Yes it is.

Patriotism in America, coming from an individual outside the US, is definitely over the top in my opinion. From a very early age, it seems that kindergarten students in the US are brainwashed into patriotism, starting with the saluting of the flag and all that. Right through their school years they are bombarded with patriotism propaganda, and hold onto those views into their adult life. To the rest of the world it is very obvious that the US government is controlling the general population, and patriotism is just a method used to do that.

• Let me start by saying I'm a student in the U.S.

I've been raised under the basically corporate, mostly fascist govt. Schooled America. Since Kindergarten you're raised to think that America is the justice of the world, we're the most perfect combination of Justice and Opportunity... This can't be more true. They say all of this to make you feel such a pride in America at such a young age where impressions are left so deep into the soul it's hard to rid... I feel BLESSED to be able to even consider or argue what others dare not touch: the fact that America is not the greatest country in the world.

• Yes, its already well into brainwash territory

When visiting the USA, in conversation with a local US Citizen. "Do you believe the US is the greatest nation on earth?", "Yes", "Why?", "It just is, I know it is", "On what metric, the economy?", "Yes", "So in 10 years when China overtakes you to become the largest economy will they become the greatest nation on earth?", "No"

• Very Much So

Many Americans here are blindly obedient even when our government is doing things that are obviously wrong (Iraq War, appeasing the top 1%, etc.). Patriotism in of itself is not a bad thing, I am attached to my nation and have led a good life here personally, but questioning the mistakes our country makes (tough love I'd call it) is discouraged for no good reason whatsoever. We criticize the mistakes made by people on a regular basis and tell them not to take things personally, and yet our country is exempt from the same criticism. It is a dangerous mindset to take, as this is how totalitarian regimes are formed.

• Very Much So

• Over patriotism borderline fascism.

Its not even funny how often i remind people that this is 21st century. People forget that all the time. This is a time for great inventions,new technologies ,cancer cure, diabetes cure, aids cure, new space programs, stopping the use of fossil fuels and definitely NOT a time for wars. Not even one country invaded USA the last 70 years, but USA is still in a constant war. If you want a good laughter type on Google "America freedom memes"

• Patriotism in America is essentially propaganda.

Coming from an American, I have grown up in a pretty patriotic school, and I can say that its essentially a form a propaganda. School children are taught to pledge their life to America every day, and the since of pride we have is really arrogant here. While I love my country, America really does have a lot of problems, and is in no way close to the best country in the world. Student's shouldn't be taught to worship a nation before they are even informed enough to know what they are saying.

• Veneer of patriotism

Yes, patriotism is over the top in America. No country does everything right, including America. It is never right to tell a child that they do everything right and it is not right for America. This is a young country with some wonderful positives in her history and some awful failures. It is important to see all those things and to grow from them. It is not useful to be so patriotic that one cannot see and address faults. It is not healthy. The recent rabid patriotism with no self reflection is just too much. The labeling of people as being unpatriotic just because they advocate for some restraint is just not fair. This young country has a lot still to learn and we do her no favors by brushing everything with a veneer of glossy thin patriotism.

• Young country needs modesty

It is wrong to tell a child that they can do wrong. They grow up with a warped sense of their own importance. It is also wrong to be so patriotic as to say America can do no wrong. America is a relatively young country and has had numerous periods of history that do not reflect well on it. If you do not reflect on those times and grow as a country then you are full of self importance and arrogance. Whilst America is a wonderful country and has many things right, it is not perfection. There is always room for maturation and growth and modesty in the accomplishments of our young country.

• I think patriotism is not really over the top.

Go ahead and wave the flag, shoot fireworks, and things like that. If you're happy for America show it. As for the flag I think since we salute it everyday in schools it is a bit overdone. I think The National Anthem at baseball games is not really over the top.

• Its not really over-the-top

I know the constitution (I know all 27 amendments and the bill of rights), I do have a flag on my porch and I do celebrate 4th of July.

However, I am not all that patriotic. I will fight for liberties and freedoms like the rest of us BUT if a financial disaster (or any other national crisis) happens and someone decides they had enough and make their OWN nation that offers a better life... Believe me I will leave and happily live there- as long as its close to me- (even if it was created on "American soil").

Also, in a divided nation such as America patriotism depends on ideology. If you are more conservative or republican then America seems like a good place for you, but If you lean more towards the Liberal/Socialist side then you wont feel much patriotic love.

A country with the size and diversity of the current United States is unlikely to have over-the-top patriotism.

• I'm Not Patriotic

I do not believe patriotism in the USA is over the top, especially not for the average citizen. I celebrate the 4th of July, I've been known to have an American flag on my front porch, that's about it. There are many things my government does that I absolutely hate so I'm not really a huge supporter of my government, and thus I'm not very patriotic. I don't see anything different from my peers either.

• Patriotism in the USA is not over the top.

Patriotism in the United States is not over the top. People show a healthy amount of patriotism for a country they love. There has been an increase in patriotic gestures after the terrorist attacks of 911. Everyone is coming together as a country in order to show how much the value America's ideals.

• Patriotism in the USA is inconsistent.

With a nation so divided over liberal and conservative issues, with part of the nation expressing interest in resolving problems at home before expanding outward and part of the problem pushing the ideology that more active involvement in the global community will trickle benefits back to the USA, patriotism is very inconsistent throughout the USA. Pockets of the population emphasize their nationality more than ever before as a part of their point. Others are disassociating to make their point about globalization.

• Patriotism is not over the top in the USA.

Patriotism is not over the top in the USA. We do not go over the top when we are showing support for the United States of America. We all love our country and we fight for the issues that we believe is right. I believe that we are so wrapped up in our own lives that we are not over the top on patriotism.

Patriotism in the United States is not over the top. People have a healthy amount of patriotism. It is natural for people to be proud of their country and to show their pride in public. People from all countries should have a healthy amount of patriotism and they should display it.