• "Cogito ergo sum" or "I think, therefore, I am," Rene Descartes

As a nameless "bastard child", I wrote a piece captioned,
    "I am No One, yet, I am Everyone"
    Descartes solved the long debated topic concerning the "existence" of man, in a few succinct words, "I think, therefore, I am." One's "status" in this World is but a case of self-determination. The underpinnings of philosophical and theological thought are alive and well, today, although, the "alluded to" and much abbreviated versions, at times, mask the deeper message, or true meaning.

• Philosophy can break down why a person is like the way he is and show others his thoughts and feelings.

Although it isn't similar in terms of art and paintings, philosophy can show others how a person was in their generation as well as unlock secrets about the times he/she lived in. It's a way of expressing the beliefs and rituals of how a modern man and woman portray their life and how the people around them lived their lives.

• Philosophy is done, please give way to science

Philosophy used to be a great study that reveals the unknown and answers mankind's all sort of questions. This was especially true when math, statistics, and natural science were still in their infancy.
    However, with thousand years of development, science becomes the ultimate efficient and sophisticated tool to do what used to be done by philosophy. Nowadays, we answer our questions in scientific ways: to observe, to collect data, to make assumptions, to conduct experiments and computations, to prove or reject. This is complete. We don't need philosophy any more, it has finished its destine. Just like alchemist gave way to chemistry, astrology gave way to astronomy, it's time for philosophy to rest in peace, and give way to science.

• Philosophy and deep thinking does seem to have lost something with everyone relating through short things like Twitter and texting.

Philosophy, or deep thinking of what you believe or think, does not seem to be an art these days. Most people are using brief texts or even announcements like Twitter, but they aren't even spelling things fully, so this leads one to think they aren't thinking of things very fully either. Tweeting seems to be based on how little you can say, some thoughts just require more of a thought process in and of themselves, not thinking about something and then figuring the shortest way to say it. It does not always turn out to be anything that has much meaning by the time you have abbreviated it to fit in a Tweet. "I think, therefore I am" is short, but it took much time and pondering to come up with this simple phrase. We are becoming more concerned with how we say things than what we are saying, and some of the meaning is getting lost.

Posted by: RigidJamal55
  • Modern cultures seem to be creating their own philosophy of egocentrism, and forgetting the great philosophers of the modern era and what the study of philosophy can teach us.

Most of the developed world has become a material- and information- driven society. Technology has reduced people's tendency to think for themselves. Why bother to learn anything when your mobile device will find it for you? This laziness is detrimental to the continued advancement of humanity, and the impact is clearly visible today.

Posted by: UtterDon
  • Philosophy has gone the way of the wolf, as T.V. and the Internet take over the minds of the masses.

Philosophy was once a way for man to think outside himself, compare himself to the world, and imagine what the possibilities were. At this point in our history, most opinions and speculations are fed to us through media sources, such as television and the overwhelming amount of information on the Internet. Most people no longer feel the need to answer questions through rational thought and imagination. If they are curious about something, the first thing to do is jump on a computer and let someone else answer it for you. Abstract thought goes out the window and many people no longer create thought, but borrow it and make it their own, without realizing that it was most likely borrowed before. The meaning of life is boiled down to the latest blog post or forum entry. This is our new philosophy: just Google it.

Posted by: ObedientMervin
  • Paid philosophers don't exist anymore in our modern era.

Today, philosophers exist only in academia. To become a philosopher, a person would have to take numerous philosophy courses, reading whatever previous philosophers thought about a number of different subjects. In the past, philosophers would come about their thoughts organically, though independent study. Today, rigorous coursework required by philosophy students stifles creativity and independent thought.

Posted by: AmusingTanner32
  • Philosophy is a lost art, as it is no longer taught as a general principle like it once was.

In the U.S. today, we have completely abandoned reading the original works of great philosophers like Plato, Aristotle, Hegel, Kant and many more. Instead, we read bland text books with a certain spin on the original thoughts. Additionally, the skill of thinking critically has been lost with it, most importantly, logical thought and argument. An average American has many beliefs, but can't argue for them, nor discern where they originated. Philosophy needs to be re-found.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • Philosophy is just not practiced anymore.

Philosophy in today's day and age is just not taught anymore. The principles of philosophy due to the times of today are lost. People are not interested in philosophical terms and ideas. They want solid answers to questions and not something philosophical. In the upcoming years, it will be safe to say that philosophy will be a lost study.

Posted by: WillowsErv
  • No, and philosophy will not be a lost art so long as mankind still questions its place in the universe.

Even today, in a society filled with technology, we still do not understand some of the most important elements of our existence. Why are we here, where are we going, and is there life after death? We constantly seek to answer these questions through science, and as we gain more answers from concepts such as string theory, more questions arise. Therefore, as science advances and our knowledge of life becomes more convoluted, philosophy is perhaps more important today than it has ever been before.

Posted by: McLovin'

"I am No One, yet, I am Everyone"

"I am No One, yet, I am Everyone"

• Philosophy is real

We have need of philosophy to keep the other disciplines honest. Science has no way to question the findings where as the art of philosophy does. We live in a world that needs logic in a very realistic way, to say the least, a society that has change, thus is what philosophy engenders.

• Read if you lke

Philosophy can be understood as advises. It can come from experienced or inexperienced persons subjected to the particular issue. People can choose whatever they feel so. Not every decisions can be made and taught from experience ('CHANAKYA'). Having some thoughts about various situations in life makes a person prepared and may be he feels less regrets in such decisions

• No more philosophers

Recent time, the philosophers are religious either christian or muslim. There are no more free thinkers as before among the them. The like of Aristotle, Socrates, and other are not in existence. The world of today has made it clear, the existence of God. Though, the more people know God in recent times, the more they offend Him.

• Philosophy has proven, and continues to prove, a mighty force in directing events, so it is very much a vital art.

Even in today's populist, anti-intellectual times, our very political attitude constitute a tacit philosophy. While popular philosophies may lack some basic elements of reason, they still carry the art forward, until greater thinkers take up threads of thought, or react to philosophical errors.

Posted by: ZippyHank
  • The idea of philosophy is never a lost art in modern times, because it will always be important to society.

The idea of philosophy is never a lost art in modern times, and I feel that the idea of philosophy will always be important to us. In order to keep this important art we have in this country, we have to understand the general and fundamental problems that play a part in this concept. These problems are connected to our existence, knowledge, values, reasons, mind, and language. These connections also play a part in the art of philosophy. In my opinion, I feel that this idea will not lose its importance, and it will not go away.

Posted by: LushQuinton58
  • Philosophy is not a lost art, because it was never an art to begin with.

Self-important people babbling nonsense that takes humankind's responsibility for their actions away from them, and places it on others, is not an art. Anyone can pretend to be profound, and most philosophy is loosely based on the Holy Scriptures, so they may as well preach the Bible.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • Philosophy is still used today, but in many different ways.

We study Philosophy in psychology class, and I have found that both have some similar interest. Philosophy isn't lost in modern era, but rather it has simply increased in knowledge. It has expanded beyond the mind. Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It expands into psychology with studying the mind. So Philosophy still exist.

Posted by: AllisonT
  • If philosophy was a lost art university wouldn't be churning out philosophy majors.

Young people still flock to places of higher learning every year hoping to uncover the meaning to the meaningless. These same young people are astute enough to know that once they have completed their degree no large philosophy corporations are waiting to swoop them up with six figure salaries and corner offices.
    Sarcasm aside, it is easy to get bogged down in the cacophony of modern life and our obsession with pop culture and celebrity lifestyles. If you look a little closer below the surface you will see younger generations thirsty for real knowledge.

Posted by: etchedgrphx