• The unexamined life is not worth living

As Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". To him, philosophy was a way of life. Everyone asks the big questions; Is there a God? Is there an afterlife? What is morality? Does life have one objective meaning or goal? Philosophy, along with religion can provide answers to those fundamental questions.

• Individually, not at university

In my experience it's much more fruitful to dedicate yourself to other humanitarian sciences (if you are into that) so that a good philosophy compliments a law degree for example.

If however as an exception, you feel like you can dedicate yourself to the academic scene with philosophy - it's a totally valid approach as well! Just be careful, because doing a bachelorette might make you change your life views over time.

• Yes but not at university

Philosophy is something that should be studied in your free time. It is a great hobby or passion to have and it provides great insights into your life for obvious reasons. Instead of nationalism, religion, hedonism etc. people should really start turning to secular philosophy! However, at university any minor interest in philosophy you once had will most likely be crushed! Only study philosophy at university if it is your absolute passion. A degree in straight up philosophy will get you no where in my opinion.

• Yes, it gives a basis to thought.

I was a philosophy major in college and I have always had a good job and a nice career path. I learned how to think logically when I studied philosophy, and that is an activity that we all need more of.
    It also opened me to the world's traditions and ideas.

• Who will do the thinking?

Yes, it is very worth studying, if philosophers stop philosophizing then who will do this important work, in areas such as ethics, politics, law, logic, religion, epistemology and much more? Who, tell me who? Can you honestly leave it up to politicians and religious folk or even scientists who are to busy to philosophize cogently! Philosophy will change the way you think more than any other subject.

• Philosophy has opened my mind to new ways of thinking.

I have discovered how much I was wrong about, some new beliefs, and how much we really don't know. I don't see things the way other people do. Mainstream is totally not me. I like being able to say no, and feel justified. I like being able to find logical fallacies in other's arguments which completely disintegrate their whole stance into a million pieces. I like confusing people with the facts, turning the situation "almost like a cube" over to different sides, and finding their weaknesses, until I can convince them of the fact that they "believe" something, but they do not know for sure. I like that since I hardly ever blatantly state something as 100% fact, I am hardly ever wrong.

• We need to think about these things.

Philosophy is important for our world. We need people that think about the why of the choices that we make and the lives that we live. Without philosophy majors and philosophers, we would have no one to put our world into a workable framework. How would we face the world then?

• Yes, philosophy is essential.

Philosophy is essential to having an open mind, a mind that questions things and does not just take knowledge about things for granted. Studying philosophy makes you a great conversationalist because you can jump in and talk about just about any topic, and you can consider other people's opinions for their merit. In addition, philosophy provided the foundations to most of our current disciplines of science, morality, political life, the universe, the nature of reality. It is the most interesting subject of all.

• It is a fundamental system of thinking that benefits the human mind.

Philosophy is certainly worth studying. There are elements of philosophy out there that aren't worth anybody's time, but it's no different from any other field. There's bad science, bad history, you get the drift. If anything, philosophy utilized logic, which is a fundamental system of thinking that benefits the human mind.

• Yes, I believe that philosophy is worth studying. It can lead to more logically-thinking, open-minded people.

I went to a university and I actually took philosophy courses. I took two of them, both logical thinking classes. In no way were they my favorite courses of all time, but to decide whether the study of anything has "worth" or "no worth" is tough. I would always err on the side of a study being worthy of someone/anyone's time than not at all. Without philosophy, who knows where we'd be today. Political ideologies are constructed out of philosophical arguments, and governments are what control the world. I think it would be foolish to determine that all philosophy is unworthy of study. Without us as human beings questioning who we are, how our lives are run, what we want from everything, it would be easy for us to fall into the wrong hands. It's good to question. Philosophy courses teach you to question. It's good to constructively look at an argument and determine whether or not it is valid, or sound, or reasonable, or whether the person is using tricks to win arguments underhandedly. I've noticed, after my philosophy courses, I listen to debates between presidential candidates differently. I think silly things like "oh, that argument is invalid because it's a straw man fallacy." Then I think about the millions of people who would listen to it and believe what they hear with no deeper thought behind it. In my opinion, saying that philosophy is unworthy of study would be careless. It's important that we give ourselves the tools to decide what we should believe and what we should not believe, and it doesn't hurt to look at something from a different perspective once in a while.

• No, because--like Stephen Hawkings said--philosophy is dead.

Philosophy is dead. Sure, if you want to study it it should be included in the History curriculum not in a separate field of study now known as philosophy. All the questions that philosophers wondered about have been answered by the field of science which is why the great astronomer and physicist, Stephen Hawkins made that observation about Philosophy.

• No because philosophy is dead

All the great questions have been answered by science. Philosophy is more of a history class than an actual class itself. Therefore, it is now pointless and not worth anyone's time to study. Stephen Hawkins, a great astronomer and physicist, would agree with me. Here is no point to philosophy.

• 1/10 troll detected

It is exactly this kind of thinking that demonstrates why an education in philosophy should be prescribed for all. The rampant scientism evident in statements such as these reflect a lack of critical thinking in the formulation of Con's arguments. Con would do well to study a few courses on philosophy.