• Photography is just as artistic as any other medium.

It doesn't matter if you photograph it or paint it. If it contains emotion, it's art. Art is expression, and photography is fully capable of being a medium of expression. Art is beauty, and photography is fully capable of being beautiful. There is no denying the fact that photography is art, regardless of one's definition.

• Yes it is!

As someone who is fond of photography, I definitely believe it to be art! There is something to be said for choosing one's subject matter carefully as well as making sure to get a perfect shot. Anyone can just hold a camera and snap a picture, but you won't get a truly great photograph that way. Or maybe sometimes you will-- but that's part of the fun, human, subjective nature of art!

• Photography is ART!

Photography is most definitely art! There is so many things you can do to photography. You can change the tints and colors. You can paint over photos, and develop them. In art class at school I took a class on just photography and I learned so much from that! Photos on a wall are considered art and I think that it is just totally wrong to say that photography is not art!

• There Are Many Kinds of Art

Yes, photography is art. When a photographer sets up a photo shoot, he uses his artistic ability to create the perfect scenery, background and poses to make his work esthetically pleasing. The resulting picture would have required the same thought and planning as a painting. The end result would be the same – a piece of work that inspires an emotion in people. Photographers have many tools at their disposal. They don’t just find a subject, aim and shoot. There is much thought that goes into creating a specific desired effect for a photograph. Many photographs that became covers of the old “Life” magazines years ago are still well known today for the messages they send and the emotions they invoke.

• Yes, it is a beautiful art!

Photography is another way an artist can express his or herself. Photography is looking at the world through another person's eyes, much like painting or drawing. Photographers can set the photo to look just the way they want, with the color, lighting, background, and setup. Photogrpahy is a beautiful expression of the world around us.

• ART- beautiful of thought provoking works produced through creative activity

So say there is a scene and two different people with the same kind of camera.. Will the pictures be different? Yes because each person has a different perspective and skill level. They each have different ideas running through their mind as to how exactly they will capture this image. Yes the scene is also a type of art but that's the great thing about it, there are different types of mediums and types. Whichever you choose is just a reflection of you and how you like to express your art.

• Yes, photography is most definitely an art form.

It is true that any finger can push the shutter release of an automated camera and produce a snapshot, most often than not a mere memento of some level of importance to the person behind the lens, but not really art. Similarly, any finger can daub paint onto a canvas and produce some kind of image, but this is not art either, despite us being told by pretentious art critics/dealers that it is. Skilled photography, where the photographer totally understands his/her camera, lens, composition, use of color (or monochrome), and is able to capture an image that moves us in one way or another is clearly an artist, therefore photography IS an art form. So is cinematography for that matter, and film making in general.

Amateurish paintings by aspiring artists with little talent and little knowledge of their chosen medium are referred to as 'art' just because a painting or drawing medium may have been used to execute the work. Yet a photograph taken with a high level of artistry, technique and knowledge and one that may have taken days to set up (yes, photography isn't always as 'instant' as some think) is considered by many to not be an art form. I think it's time we moved on and realized that photography is just as much an art form as the centuries old painting. Speaking of which, many historical painters were known for their interest and use of optics, and some would probably be photographers if they were alive today.

• Yes it is Art!

It is a way capturing the beauty an individual sees around him/her. It takes the right exposure, right lighting, right angle to get that perfect shot... Furthermore, the photograph that is captured, if captured well, will have great emotion attached to it. Anyone who observes the photos will be able to feel the same emotion(s) the photographer felt at the time...

It is most definitely an art...

• Photography is an art form!

Photography can certainly be regarded as an art form; there are so many styles and techniques that are existent in today’s society. Photography has developed over the years and has become a part of the art world. Photo manipulation (digital enhancement) also opens a new door in the art world; it offers photographers the ability to further improve their photo, into the art world. The ability to capture emotion and passion through one simple photograph is considered Art in the eyes of many. Emotion can be sparked in many different ways and I strongly believe Photography is one of them. Photoshop has so many features that allow an artist to open new windows in their design. With downloadable brushes and tutorials, Photoshop is an art form that can be used to creatively manipulate and enhance the image quality. Art is to evoke an emotion or convey a message, photography is one form of art that achieves this.

• Without a doubt in my mind

I have been a semi pro photographer for 8 years..Followed and enjoyed the art for over 20 years. I view art as anything that can act as a medium to transmit or reflect a emotive response. The more emotion a artist dumps into a creation the better it is received. Look at Bob Dylan music, Andy Warhol films, Kevin Carters timeless and heartbreaking photo of the child being stalked by a vulture....These things are a moment in a persons life captured and saved by a art form and more so to transfer that feeling to another....The more it can successfully do this.....The greater the art...Photography has been a staple in this process for mankind for awhile now...Anyone that doesn't think it is art doesn't understand what art truly is.

• Art can only be made by living beings, not by non-breathing devices.

Photography is not art, because photos can be copied. Artist's can't paint their original painting twice, but photos can be reproduced thousands of times. A camera is a machine, a painting is created only by humans. A photo records only what is there, but an artist creates a painting by design by removing as well as adding things.

• You are not your camera!

It's the same sort of arrogance that comes with rating yourself in terms of the technical specs of your computer (so common in certain PC gaming circles); there is certainly a series of skills both learned and improved upon, but there's a big difference between putting paint on a canvas and Xeroxing (digitally or with film) a chunk of reality you're looking at. The painting and drawing process, even if you're working with subject matter that is firmly grounded in reality (as opposed to high fantasy or science-fiction), is going to be 'coloured' by the tastes, visual skills and often dumb luck (fate?) that a given visual artist will intentionally or unintentionally involve in the progression and completion of a drawing. You can draw a picture with a cheap pencil and sheet paper and if you know what you're doing still be able to crank out something impressive; it's something entirely different to claim your skill in positioning and lighting and owning a good camera (DSLR or otherwise) that set you back several thousand dollars, let alone whatever costs are involved in getting where you need to be to attempt a given individual picture. Lastly, there's the 'needs to be perfect' syndrome in photography. Granted, you can do this because even if you're still working with a traditional roll o' film camera, you've in theory got the entire roll to snap off if you're willing to (and probably several thousand attempts in the case of a DSLR or other digital camera if you've got a decent-sized SD Card) without straining yourself if you're not immediately sure about one specific 'take'. In graphite & paper or acrylic on canvas, there is rarely a need to 'be perfect' (with the possible exception of technical drawing or architectural plans, and it's more about 'accuracy' than 'perfection'); there is no internal requirement that defines a picture other than what the hand creates with its stylus or brush.

I don't dismiss photography as being a creative pursuit or something that does not require skill to do well (as is appropriate in any pursuit, at least to practice it and hone those skills) but I have trouble thinking of it as being 'art'.

• Nothing is being created in photography.

I would say mostly not. Perhaps if someone has worked on setting up a scene, putting together props and characters, and arranging them in a unique way that maybe conveys a message and takes a picture, maybe.
    I can really appreciate photographers that travel to all corners of the world and take unique pictures of a culture that is completely alien to me. But to me that is still just photography.
    Taking a picture of scenery or a building is not art.

• Art is creating something from nothing!

Drawing, painting, sculpting, writing a story, writing music, baking a cake...Etc are all art because you're creating something from nothing! Photography is something from something; a picture of a person, landscape, bridge, building, sunset...Etc. They were already there. You just happened to put a frame/border around it. Photography is skill first, talent second (one is taught about shutter speed or ISO...Etc then they take 17 pictures and hope one is good). Art is talent first, skill second (nobody teaches you how to draw. Its a gift that's enhanced with practice).

• Artistic features but not true Art

If I were a painter, I could wake up in the morning and paint my vision or any vision I have. As a photographer, I have to have the actual event as a basis. Of course, I could photoshop it and change it. As a painter (artist) I can doing anything.
    There are photographers who recreate masterpieces using models, cameras, lights, props, etc. When everything is setup a 6 year old could walk up and press the button. But an painter (artist) could never hand a brush to anyone and have them recreate the scene. A photograph can look artistic because you have the compositional skills but the talent is in the painter who can create from nothing.

• Not An Art

It's artificial construction of something else. Pictures can look amazing and beautiful at times, but you're taking a picture of something that is already there. Just because you're taking a picture of the art, does not mean you're an artist. Yes, taking a picture at a nice angle or something may be creative, but it's more artistic if you can paint that shot instead of simply taking a picture.

• Do not consider Photography an Art.

I consider photography a knowledge, you are taught to use a machine to reproduce something already existing. I admit you need to have an artistic eye to capture the object but the camera is what makes the object come to life in a painting it is the the artist... The camera has come to substitute paintings..

• Lazy Art Really

Not an art, no more than copy + pasting an article and using a different font makes you a writer. When you lump photography into the broader 'art', or as some above have said, "Any form of emotional expression" (that is to include temper tantrums and violence, I suppose then) you don't justify photography; you only degrade art. The essence the photographer captures is already in existence.

If you say photography is an art, because "One can't define art" by its own virtue it becomes a meaningless term to call something art. Art, in and of itself, has no value in that case. Painting, music, poetry, dance...These still have value...But art no longer would, because it doesn't require adequate talent, discipline, or time to learn how to perform competent art.

• no its not

Well photography is nothing more than a person standing there and taking a picture. Anyone can do it. Is a snapshot of my dog a piece of art?
    A piece of art is something that somehow sums up history and thought somehow, a painting for example needs so much thought and will ALWAYS have some sort of message and meaning behind it, its almost like a poem and the fact that art is so unique might be due to the fact that unlike photography, art usually requires time, and not just a click.

• Lazy Art Really

Anonymous says2013-06-15T17:45:02.807
Art is valued more than gold. Art cannot be duplicated plus it's a view into a person's soul.
Anonymous says2013-09-21T17:07:46.287
Gregory Crewdson, designs every inch of his frame, total intentionality.
Dan Winters Builds sets and designs esthetics to make a character from a face.
Jeff Wall, Sees a moment he thinks is beautiful, takes notes, goes back with models recreates that moment over so he can capture it how he wants.

I only read the NO sections, but I debated competitively in school, and essentially it would seem no one here really knows photography well, only the theory of what a camera does normally. I would like to think that all people can understand that the tool, however powerful is still only a tool, in the hands of a person. If that person hones their skill, if they wish to create something that is art then all they need to do is work hard enough. Art is expression but it is also VERY hard work. Camera, paintbrush, or upside down urinal, if you sweat, cry and bleed for your work then no one can tell you it is not art.
boredashellsoimadethisacc says2014-03-24T23:31:13.723
I recently bought a children's coloring book and colored it. I expressed myself with the colors i used, would that be considered art?
fairylens says2014-07-21T00:09:49.213
Photography is an art, it is expression of emotional power of human nature which reveals hidden stories, shows the truth..