• Photography is ART

Reason being is the fact that you can put your own personal twist on an image like you do in a hands on painting. Photography is you capturing a moment, creating an image, or catch feelings or a person or surrounding. Painting you use colors and contrast, oils and all that, but in photography you can change the contrast, the exposure, the highlights and edit it on how you want the photo to be received. You are editing those photos the same as you are painting one.

• Really lazy art

Art is something that takes time , taking a photo is to quick to be art. Art to me is a process in which you need to take it slow. It is not a quick flash and there you go, art is a slow steady pace and it takes a lot of patience. All in all photography is lazy art.

• Art is anything that has creative effort put into it.

While some people may say that photography has been named art as an excuse for lazy people who don't want to learn to draw/paint, I can safely say that there's practically nothing further from the truth. Photography is a form of art where people directly capture a moment in time using an artistic approach, and it takes a lot of knowledge and effort tone able to do such a thing, not to mention the things that can be done with the image afterwards. It conveys meaning, and if that's not art, I don't know what is.

• Photography is art

Photography is a kind of medium that is considered art. Theres emotions and meaning behind the pictures just like any other art piece,you don't always need a paintbrush and a canvas to create art sometimes all you need is a camera and some creativity which most people consider art all the time

• The Camera is a Tool

The camera to any photographer is a tool. Just like a paintbrush to a painter. The different lenses are like the different types of brushes. When people say that the camera is creating the art, it's synonymous to saying that the paintbrush creating the painting. Photography is also a more challenging art form then drawing, or playing the piano, etc... Photographers have to take the environment they are provided with, and use their minds to bend and morph the scene at will. A sketch artist or painter can easily just think of a new organic shape, and anything else their mind desires. My two year old nephew can easily create a random setting, with random scribbles, all from his mind and draw it with a crayon. This isn't to say painting isn't a skillful art, they all are. However, both sides can pick and scratch at both art forms which take great skill to master.

• Photography can absolutely be art..

..But it doesn't have to be. I certainly don't think absolutely all photography is art. There are billions of people taking photos just to document their lives or to make their memories last a little longer. In the same way that there are billions of people writing diaries to process their thoughts and feelings in a better way. I wouldn't say that those photos and texts are all pieces of art. But if a person with a real intention to express himself through the form of photography takes photographs, I would call it art. It is the intention that makes art, art.
    Another important argument is that even though photographers capture the real world in a fairly simple way, the real world is perceived in as many ways as there are people on the planet. In that way, photography can be an interesting tool for people to express their view of their world as they see it, both the inside and the outside one.

• Photography can absolutely be art..

• Photography is Art!!

When photographers take photos it because they find the beauty in it. Art is just creating something that others can enjoy as much as you do. Art is about capturing emotions and feelings and displaying everything you want the audience to see, no matter the way. You have to choose the correct lighting, colors, and objects to be displayed.

• What is art?

It's difficult to define art...It seems to have no rules; at this point in time, anything goes, including Campbell's soup cans. My own definition of art is this: if it makes your viewer feel the same emotions you felt when you created it, then it's art. The finest photographs in the world can never be duplicated. What do you feel when you look at 'Migrant Mother' or 'The Afghan Girl'? Can they ever be duplicated? Are they art? Most pianists don't compose...They just play the notes that someone else wrote down. Most painters don't create...They paint what they see in the style of someone else. If you define 'art' as something that has never been tried before by anyone else, then there is very little art in the world.

• Yes photography is art!

Art can not be put into one category. Art can be many things not just paint on a canvas. Art is a way for people to express themselves either visual or performing arts. Even though it is taken by a camera doesn't mean that work wasn't put into it. It doesn't mean that it doesn't have a meaning or story behind it. Photography is most definitely art there is not denying it!

• Art can only be made by living beings, not by non-breathing devices.

Photography is not art, because photos can be copied. Artist's can't paint their original painting twice, but photos can be reproduced thousands of times. A camera is a machine, a painting is created only by humans. A photo records only what is there, but an artist creates a painting by design by removing as well as adding things.

• You are not your camera!

It's the same sort of arrogance that comes with rating yourself in terms of the technical specs of your computer (so common in certain PC gaming circles); there is certainly a series of skills both learned and improved upon, but there's a big difference between putting paint on a canvas and Xeroxing (digitally or with film) a chunk of reality you're looking at. The painting and drawing process, even if you're working with subject matter that is firmly grounded in reality (as opposed to high fantasy or science-fiction), is going to be 'coloured' by the tastes, visual skills and often dumb luck (fate?) that a given visual artist will intentionally or unintentionally involve in the progression and completion of a drawing. You can draw a picture with a cheap pencil and sheet paper and if you know what you're doing still be able to crank out something impressive; it's something entirely different to claim your skill in positioning and lighting and owning a good camera (DSLR or otherwise) that set you back several thousand dollars, let alone whatever costs are involved in getting where you need to be to attempt a given individual picture. Lastly, there's the 'needs to be perfect' syndrome in photography. Granted, you can do this because even if you're still working with a traditional roll o' film camera, you've in theory got the entire roll to snap off if you're willing to (and probably several thousand attempts in the case of a DSLR or other digital camera if you've got a decent-sized SD Card) without straining yourself if you're not immediately sure about one specific 'take'. In graphite & paper or acrylic on canvas, there is rarely a need to 'be perfect' (with the possible exception of technical drawing or architectural plans, and it's more about 'accuracy' than 'perfection'); there is no internal requirement that defines a picture other than what the hand creates with its stylus or brush.

I don't dismiss photography as being a creative pursuit or something that does not require skill to do well (as is appropriate in any pursuit, at least to practice it and hone those skills) but I have trouble thinking of it as being 'art'.

• Nothing is being created in photography.

I would say mostly not. Perhaps if someone has worked on setting up a scene, putting together props and characters, and arranging them in a unique way that maybe conveys a message and takes a picture, maybe.
    I can really appreciate photographers that travel to all corners of the world and take unique pictures of a culture that is completely alien to me. But to me that is still just photography.
    Taking a picture of scenery or a building is not art.

• Art is creating something from nothing!

Drawing, painting, sculpting, writing a story, writing music, baking a cake...Etc are all art because you're creating something from nothing! Photography is something from something; a picture of a person, landscape, bridge, building, sunset...Etc. They were already there. You just happened to put a frame/border around it. Photography is skill first, talent second (one is taught about shutter speed or ISO...Etc then they take 17 pictures and hope one is good). Art is talent first, skill second (nobody teaches you how to draw. Its a gift that's enhanced with practice).

• Artistic features but not true Art

If I were a painter, I could wake up in the morning and paint my vision or any vision I have. As a photographer, I have to have the actual event as a basis. Of course, I could photoshop it and change it. As a painter (artist) I can doing anything.
    There are photographers who recreate masterpieces using models, cameras, lights, props, etc. When everything is setup a 6 year old could walk up and press the button. But an painter (artist) could never hand a brush to anyone and have them recreate the scene. A photograph can look artistic because you have the compositional skills but the talent is in the painter who can create from nothing.

• Not An Art

It's artificial construction of something else. Pictures can look amazing and beautiful at times, but you're taking a picture of something that is already there. Just because you're taking a picture of the art, does not mean you're an artist. Yes, taking a picture at a nice angle or something may be creative, but it's more artistic if you can paint that shot instead of simply taking a picture.

• Do not consider Photography an Art.

I consider photography a knowledge, you are taught to use a machine to reproduce something already existing. I admit you need to have an artistic eye to capture the object but the camera is what makes the object come to life in a painting it is the the artist... The camera has come to substitute paintings..

• Lazy Art Really

Not an art, no more than copy + pasting an article and using a different font makes you a writer. When you lump photography into the broader 'art', or as some above have said, "Any form of emotional expression" (that is to include temper tantrums and violence, I suppose then) you don't justify photography; you only degrade art. The essence the photographer captures is already in existence.

If you say photography is an art, because "One can't define art" by its own virtue it becomes a meaningless term to call something art. Art, in and of itself, has no value in that case. Painting, music, poetry, dance...These still have value...But art no longer would, because it doesn't require adequate talent, discipline, or time to learn how to perform competent art.

• no its not

Well photography is nothing more than a person standing there and taking a picture. Anyone can do it. Is a snapshot of my dog a piece of art?
    A piece of art is something that somehow sums up history and thought somehow, a painting for example needs so much thought and will ALWAYS have some sort of message and meaning behind it, its almost like a poem and the fact that art is so unique might be due to the fact that unlike photography, art usually requires time, and not just a click.

• Lazy Art Really

Anonymous says2013-06-15T17:45:02.807
Art is valued more than gold. Art cannot be duplicated plus it's a view into a person's soul.
Anonymous says2013-09-21T17:07:46.287
Gregory Crewdson, designs every inch of his frame, total intentionality.
Dan Winters Builds sets and designs esthetics to make a character from a face.
Jeff Wall, Sees a moment he thinks is beautiful, takes notes, goes back with models recreates that moment over so he can capture it how he wants.

I only read the NO sections, but I debated competitively in school, and essentially it would seem no one here really knows photography well, only the theory of what a camera does normally. I would like to think that all people can understand that the tool, however powerful is still only a tool, in the hands of a person. If that person hones their skill, if they wish to create something that is art then all they need to do is work hard enough. Art is expression but it is also VERY hard work. Camera, paintbrush, or upside down urinal, if you sweat, cry and bleed for your work then no one can tell you it is not art.
boredashellsoimadethisacc says2014-03-24T23:31:13.723
I recently bought a children's coloring book and colored it. I expressed myself with the colors i used, would that be considered art?
fairylens says2014-07-21T00:09:49.213
Photography is an art, it is expression of emotional power of human nature which reveals hidden stories, shows the truth..