Is physical force a justifiable method for punishing criminals?

• Deez Nutz Deez Nutz

Deez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez NutzDeez Nutz

• Deez Nutz Deez Nutz

• In the right circumstances!

First off not all "criminals" are violent offenders and need any type of physical action. But Im talking about the death penalty and extreme cases where it might save an officers life if no action was taken. I recently lost a young teenage family member to a random shooting. I work hard for my money and when they catch this monster who did this I dont want a penny of my taxes going to him being comfortable in jail and prison the next 40 or so years hes alive.

• I believe physical force is a necessity in most criminal situations, because criminals can be unpredictable.

Because so many criminals are unpredictable, it is important that our police force use necessary force to subdue criminals. If they do not, the criminal may easily be able to overcome the officer.

Posted by: AboardTod
  • I believe that physical force is justifiable when dealing with criminals in certain circumstances when physical force is used by the criminal.

Physical force is justifiable, depending on the situation. At times, police officers have to use extreme force when dealing with raids, mobs and protests, especially if the situation gets out of hand. Also, physical force is necessary if the criminal is not cooperating, and is a danger to the officers or other people around them. Physical force is not justifiable when police or other law officials use it as a means of punishing, just to be cruel.

Posted by: R04chIsi
  • Physical force is justifiable because some criminals won't listen if you don't use it.

With some criminals, you just have to use physical force. It needs to be a threat because nothing else will make them listen. They are just going to do what they want unless they know that physical force could be their punishment. It basically keeps everyone in line and makes them more likely to stay out of trouble.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • In some circumstances, physical force is the only method to control a criminal and prevent harm to others.

Convicted criminals who have been incarcerated and feel they have nothing to lose can pose a danger to prison guards and staff. Specific protocols for subduing violent inmates with the least risk of damage to the inmate and staff is necessary to maintain order in jails and prisons.

A criminal who has not yet been apprehended and is threatening the safety of citizens and police is extremely dangerous. It is in the interest of the public good to put the safety of law abiding citizens over that of the violent criminal.

Posted by: QuinBig
  • I think in certain instances depending on the crime committed that physical force is a perfect method of punishing criminals.

Criminals are getting out of control. They are getting more dangerous and brave. I think part of this is due to the fact that they know their punishment is not going to be that severe. I think in cases such as murder, assault or abuse, maybe the criminals should get to experience exactly what they did to the victim for themselves. Do to them what they did to others. Maybe this would discourage some of their behavior. The justice system has gotten too soft on criminals.

Posted by: babydollxix
  • No, because, other than restraining them behind bars, there is no cause for using physical force on prisoners.

I wouldn't trust prison employees to apply force judiciously. I can imagine a lot of abuse if this were allowed. Other than forcibly restraining prisoners behind bars, I see no reason to use force in handling or punishing prisoners. Force used for its own sake is just cruelty, thus unconstitutional.

Posted by: Th4Fire
  • No. Physical force is a sign of weakness and a lesser means of creating justice. It corrupts those who use it.

Justice has gradually evolved from mere punitive beatings and reciprocal penalties, to more sophisticated and civil means. The purpose of punishing criminals is to deter others from following their footsteps, to compensate those who have been hurt, and to reform them for future good behavior. Physical punishment only accomplishes the first, and it does so in a way which might create bigger problems from those desperate to avoid physical pain. Even worse, it makes those who must inflict the punishment stoop to the levels of those they would hope to reform.

Posted by: CarMj
  • Deez Nutz Deez Nutz

• Criminals should be put in prison, but not beat up.

I am a big believer that criminals should pay for their crimes. But, that does not include physical force. Prisoners get enough violence in prison from other inmates, and they do not need physical force as part of the prison punishment program. They should be given incentive to change their lives for the better, instead of getting beat up.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I do not think physical force is a justifiable method for punishing criminals, because it is the responsibility of the government, not individuals, to apply punishment.

I feel that using physical force as a punishment for criminals opens a very dangerous door, in regards to how not only criminals, but suspects, are treated. Also, I do not feel that criminals that are incarcerated for non-violent crimes should be subject to a punishment that is more severe than their crimes.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I do not believe that physical force is an effective or justifiable method for punishing criminals because it does not deter future criminals or rehabilitate the one being punished.

I do not believe that physical force is a humane way to punish criminals. Even if I did, we know that physical punishment, such as the death penalty, does not deter future criminals. It also does not address the reasons behind why a person committed a crime in the first place. Because of these two reasons, physical force is not justifiable in any way.

Posted by: ParallelMan
  • I disagree with physical force used as punishment because it just keeps the cycle of violence going and doesn't really address the underlying problem.

Physical force may be necessary to capture or restrain a criminal. However, once that is accomplished, punishment should have some rational motivation, such as retaining the person in custody or teaching him some lesson about life. Otherwise, it accomplishes nothing, although it may feel good to give "an eye for an eye". Physical force or violence reinforces to the criminal that this is the way society works and may even encourage those tendencies in the one doing the punishing.

Posted by: AlondraH
  • I don't think that getting physical is the correct way to punish a crime.

When someone commits a crime they don't suddenly become non-human. Everyone deserves respect and using physical force will never be the answer. Punishing criminals physically will only lead to more violent and sadistic acts. This will lead to criminals not caring if they can go back into society and blend like everyone else because they will feel like they weren't treated fairly.

Posted by: B3rkIffy
  • No, not for punishing an individual.

Physical force may have to be used to arrest or detain a criminal, but not for punishing them. This would be called torture. In a society where individuals don't have the right to physically confront one another, physical punishment would not hold up the values of the masses. It is also not necessary since there are other options in place for punishing criminals.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • Physical force is not a justifiable method for punishing criminals.

Although I do believe that criminals should be punished in some ways I do not agree that physical force should be one of them. Physical force to detain a criminal is another story. That I do believe in. There is no person on this earth that has the right to put there hands on another person as a method of punishment. Those who do so should be treated as criminals. There are other means possible to punish a criminal. Confinement, lack of freedom and physical labor are a few that I believe in.

Posted by: w00tboycomic
  • Physical force on criminals should be banned and more secure responses should be made against criminals.

Their are good enough reasons not to punish criminals in a way that could affect their health. Using violence on criminals is not a good way to treat them even if they committed a serious crime. They should use a safer and securer method as in 24/7 lock down and parental supervision.

Posted by: waffletime
  • Physical force is never a justifiable method of civil punishment.

Physical force is never a justifiable method for punishing criminals as it is archaic and serves to promote the most negative aspects of humanity as a whole. There are dozens of appropriate punishments for criminal activity that do not infringe on human rights of the condemned and do not lower the decency of society as a whole.

Posted by: ThegaXen