• Police Officers take advantage of how much power they have

Police officers now know that if they commit murder, they wont get charged for it. They use deadly force when shooting someone. They should be told to shoot in the arm or legs but no more than two times. This would limit the amount of deaths they commit. But that's only my opinion

• Yes, and No.

Here's is my opinion. I am double majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology, and so I spend most of my time studying topics such as this one. While I would say there are definitely cases where it is obvious police brutality, which we are constitutionally meant to be protected from by the 8th amendment, not all situation are brutal. While we may watch media footage of situation and blame the police for using unnecessary force, I remember watching news stories from Occupy Wall Street a few years ago when people were claiming that police brutality was an issue and being astonished. Not because of what the officers were doing, but of how they were being accused because of it. In a mob or riot situation like OWS was, it is overwhelming to the officers because of how outnumbered they are as a whole. Cops have the legal right to defend themselves if they feel that their lives are in danger. In situations where they have crowds of angry and riled up people who are throwing things at the officers, and officer may very likely feel like he/she isn't safe. In this case, an officer may pull out a taser, or a stun gun, or pepper spray. . . And someone might get tased in the face or pepper sprayed. This IS NOT police brutality. This is a police officer trying to control an unsafe situation. Police officers are here to protect us and serve us, so it is horrible to know that some officers do not hold themselves to that standard, but some of them do. But they are also required to be safe and to watch each others backs.

Now you have situations, especially ones that have gotten a lot of media attention lately, of divisions like the NYPD who are known for their police brutality. This is a horrible thing, and unfortunately is something that supervisors brush under the rug. And while cities like NY have a higher crime rate and are far more dangerous to live in than some other cities, the police feel like this gives them a pass to be cruel to maintain order and control, and they unfortunately lose respect in the process.

• Ask Kelly Thomas if it is a problem.

It is absolutely an issue. It needs a national platform. This movement of police accountability, and complete reform of how police are handled when they have committed any sort of misconduct is a must. They operate with impunity. I can go on and on, but we all know what happens when an officer is accused of any wrongdoing. It has to change. They should not be allowed to break the law to enforce the law. It is asinine.

• Just take a look at the news

You hear about some poor guy or gal getting tazed in the face for what...Exactly? And when you hear about some tragic events like a homeless man beaten in the church he was allowed to stay at, these cops get no reprimand. A few months paid leave for an investigation.

• An Age-Old Problem

And the only way to stop it is to go to the source:
    1) Put an end to all public sector unions. They create a conflict of interest.
    2) Many government officials seem to be exempt from the same kind of penalties and prosecution when THEY break the law. They seem to have certain 'immunities'. THAT has to come to an end.
    3) Lastly, we need to start a movement to shut down the I.R.S. It is the main hub for funding a lot of these abuses against the people and violations of the Constitution.
    Visit: www.DUMPTheIRS.com

• The extend their power to much.

If you look in Many cases, that a police is involved in a false judgment which lead into; murder, assault, harassment and false arrest. These usually are done because of the persons race or because a cop didn't like them for any reason or the cop was just not liking how they were being looked at. Many cases that usually have these, usually don't charge the cops or have less years then actually deserve or the minimum a person wouldn't for these things.

• Police feel they have more power than us

They walk up to our windows looking down on us and say unreasonable things for example I was arrested for mischief when I was 16 and the cop insulted us and was literally looked at my friend and said "oh ya? Watch this" and put the driver of our vehicle in cuffs. All my friend said to him before this was "his drivers license is at his home 5 minutes down the road". The cop just looked at him and said I wasnt talking to you then proceeded to saying the "oh ya, watch this". Although I do feel there is a fine line between good cops trying to help the community and bad cops I feel something should be done to limit their power.

• We have rights

Everyone has rights against the police. The police swear to defend and protect the country yet they make everyone feel very alerted and uncomfortable to do certain things when cops are around. The videos on social media are unbearable to watch, watching our own people being beaten and even killed by police shows the injustice of how they treat people.

• Yes, and it's unstoppable

I can speak for my city. In the past 10 years, the NOPD has perpetuated and covered up the murder of Henry Glover, as well as the mass murders at Danzinger Bridge after Katrina. They wrongfully detained and assaulted Robert Davis, putting him in the hospital, and assaulted a member of the press who was at the scene, recording the beating. After the incident, one officer committed suicide, presumably as a result of his trial for assault. Police brutality and police intimidation are problems all over this country. This one is anecdotal, but in a casual conversation I had with a federal law enforcement officer, he expressed his view that, "If you run from the police, you are going to get your ass kicked. If you don't want to get beat, don't run." I think this is the feeling of many officers. Their conventional understanding of what is right and wrong, what is just and unjust, does not reflect care for the law, nor for their community. And all over the country, police who abuse their authority by intimidating or sometimes assaulting people get away with it. The judiciary and the legislature are too afraid to pursue these cases, because they know officers will unite and walk-out until they get their way. The message is, "Let us do what we want, or we will not protect the community." My point is that officers are sworn to protect and uphold the law. When they abuse their power, I believe that they should be punished to the full extent -if not more- because they have fundamentally violated the trust of the people.

• Yes, Because it goes against laws set against civilians

Yes it is, because policemen often completely disobey the law. I understand many people believe that policemen should have some more authority, but they have way too much slack in restrictions. I wouldn't say that 50% of policemen are brutal, but that doesn't matter. If the police are provoked i understand it more, but they just go swinging around their batons, and hurt innocent people.

• Police have the right to protect themselves

Officers leave their house not knowing whether they will survive their shift. Offenders deserve the way they are treated especially when they treat the officers like crap and resist arrest. For those who think its a problem and say put yourself in their shoes, think about the officers family. They never now when its the last day they will see them again. So don't just think about the offender, think about the officer too.

• You did what you did

Face the consequences , you chose to do whatever crime you chose to do therefore you must face the force necessary to reprimand you. If you chose to resist then again the choice is yours, accept your punishment without fight or the resist that most CHOSE to do. Sorry people

• Seriously it's not black and white

Ok, So I'm watching a show about a person that goes into minority schools to talk about how to handle being stopped by the police. The stuff he said I thought was common knowledge. You have to tell people to not make quick movements or reach for your pockets? SERIOUSLY? Second I've seen that every 28 hours an African American is killed by a cop on every news network. Fact: That is a cops, "vigilant ", and security guard. Also, half of those "kills" were armed. The statistic is crap. So, What is the real problem? It is not color. It is poverty. We as Americans need to work on the education system and help people jump from lower class to middle class, but parents need to be involved. The divorce rate is threw the roof and that is a problem. Kids need both parents. If you're not married then don't have kids. If you are married then love your spouse and your kids. If you do get divorced then know your kids need both parents. Police violence is not a black and white problem. It is a poor and not poor problem.

• No, it only seems like a problem because good cops don't get recognition.

Police brutality only seems like a problem because it is so easy to film and share videos now. It is very rare for a video of a police encounter to "go viral" unless one of the parties is misbehaving. Also out of the vast majority of "police brutality" videos I've seen only a handful are actually worth getting angry over. If people uploaded videos of regular everyday police encounters I'm sure people would see it isn't as big of a problem as it seems.

That being said, I do believe officers that are shown to be a problem should receive stricter discipline than what is essentially a slap on the wrist.

• The Police are doing their job.

Police brutality is not a problem. Does it happen? Yes, like anything there will always be some bad apples but the majority of officers are doing their jobs. Every time an officer has to use their pepper spray or their taser that is not police brutality. Officers are trained to meet the amount of force they are faced with. The vast majority of officers only use lethal force when they are themselves in danger of losing their lives. But, blanketing all the police officers of America saying they are all brutal is simply ignorant.

• Nobody knows how hard their job is

Police need to protect themselves too. Those of you who think they are too brutal need to wake up and realize what they go through. If I was being shot at, or had a gun pointed at me i would shoot back at them. I'm not racist I'd shoot anybody who was aiming at me.

• I support the police.

The Police need to do certain things and everyones to sensitive! Police will do what has to be done and know one can say other wise because when something is stolen from you or you were crossed you call the cops and if somebody needs to get beaten to be taught a lesson then so it shall be! Jails in other countries are even worse then what are in America.

• If U don't like it, leave the country.

If you don't like the way the police do their job, pack up your Sh... And leave. Go live in Mexico where 40 + students were murdered recently. Go live in a country where people truly fear the police. I do not see a lot of the Hispanic population out protesting. Most of them have lived in Mexico and know how much better it is up here. It is not that they don't make mistakes. They certainly do. But I would definitely want the police around doing their job instead of listening to a bunch of complainers temping chaos. Micheal Brown being shot was perfectly fine with me. The kid with the toy gun was a mistake. The fellow that died because he could not breath was also a mistake. As far as racial profiling goes, it happens, but grow up for heaven sakes.

• No, it is isolated.

No, police brutality is not a problem, because incidents of police brutality only happen on a limited basis. Law enforcement is under significant pressure and every person who is wrongfully arrested will cry foul. Police brutality can be a problem, but it is few and far between. Most law-enforcement officers do their jobs in an exemplary fashion.

• The POLICE are not the problem, the PEOPLE are

It is simple: don't do stupid things. Don't rob a store with a weapon and expect not to get tackled or tazed or shot. Don't challenge the police, get all up in their face, and expect not to get pushed back. The police are doing their job, keeping the city or town safe from people who act like that.