• Pop music is making our culture less creative.

Many musicians offer other countries music. For example, in Brazil, many people loves our pop music thinking it is their pop music. That is because they get to listen K-pop from their own singers.So, they can't show their talent and creativeness to other people around the world. So, pop music is making our culture less creative.

• I learned it in school

I am writing a paper about this topic for my Comp. 11 class at Northwest Missouri State. Over the last decade, especially, music has used less vocal range, the same few topics, gotten louder, and less "colorful" as some have put it. I couldn't agree more. This was all discovered by Joan Serrà, a postdoctoral scholar at the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute of the Spanish National Research Council in Barcelona, and his colleagues who examined these aspects of modern pop music.

• Society is officially screwed.

Pop music is awful nowadays, because first off, it has no meaning most of the time, and if it does, it is about drugs, money, fame or playing with girl's/boy's feelings. Music is about telling a story, letting out your inner feelings, not talking about the crack you just bought from someone on the street. Secondly, think about the younger listeners. They would be blasting out song lyrics without knowing. If you still don't get the picture, Imagine a 7 year old running around with an iPhone 5c busting out "Baking soda, I got baking soda!" This issue should not be ignored, and it's only going to worsen. Lastly, most of these so-called artists usually don't even have real talent, it's mostly autotune. Look at some of T-Pain's 'music' if you don't believe me. This is negatively impacting society, and I don't know if our society will recover from this. Pop music doesn't deserve to be called music.

• Why I agree

I don't think there's anything wrong with what these singers sing about, since alcohol addiction, sex, drugs are topics which are more common in society. But I do feel that some of the songs which are played over and over again become meaningless after a time. I feel that pop music nowadays uses a whole lot of autotune, which hides the fact that some singers are not as good singing live are they appear to be in music videos, which really annoy me. I feel that there are singers I watch on Youtube who can sing better than the pop stars who are famous nowadays, and therefore, should get more credit for their talent. I'm not saying that all popstars cannot sing- some are actually really good in both music videos and live. But I also think it's time for our generation to open up and listen to many other artists, in order to spread creativity and be introduced to a range of musical stylings.

• Here is what I have to say

This world has been changed by the popular music, and I mean changed in a VERY bad way. Now 6 years olds (no I'm not exaggerating) are listening and singing along to these popular songs not even knowing what the songs are about. The pop songs of today all promote the same things, whether its drinking or "popping a molly" or "shake your booty which it seems is getting very popular to just say in every song for NO reason. You'll just be listening along and then all the sudden "SHAKE THAT A** GIRL". I mean come on. And then these 6 year olds who there mom and dads have ALREADY gotten them a iPhone 5c or whatever are listing to it and then saying it in public thinking it's ok. And don't get me wrong it's definitely not just the younger kids, it's teenagers and even adults! My sister is only 13 almost 14 and she likes pop music and all, and so I asked her if she even knew what the songs where all about. SHE HAD NO CLUE and just stood there laughing like she was drunk. Who knows maybe a song she heard was acknowledging drinking so she thought it was the "cool thing to do". Then I asked her again and she said she didn't care what it was about. Wow. That's the whole point of music, the lyrics. They are supposed to tell a story, or a time when you felt a certain way etc. Not just say PARTY PARTY POP THAT SHAKE THAT BLAH BLAH BLAHHHH! Pop music is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. They find a pretty face, write a song for them, have them "sing" a little so they can find the best autotune setting for their voice, make a 5 sec loop of a simple beat, then BOOM. There's a new pop song for ya. And the sad thing is a lot of pop music fans know about this, but just don't care. And I really couldn't figure out why for the longest time...But then I realized pop music fans are just copy cats. "Oh my friend likes pop music well I better like it too". The fans are not fans at all. But just want to "fit in". Well I really hope someone who is a pop music copy cat, err I mean fan see's this and then maybe thinks about it a bit deeper. This world is like it was when God flooded it years ago. He hated how everyone one was acting and doing. He said He would not flood the world again, but he would instead come down on earth for the second time. And everyday I wake up and wonder if today will be the day because this world will soon meet it's true maker.

• Yes

Pop music is the most un-creative thing about modern life. The songs are all about the same things; sex, clubs, money, heartbreak with the occasional corny love song. I can't think of any less creative subjects. Also, scientific research has proved what people could have already told you; pop music all sounds the same. It's all computerized, 4 chords and has no real instruments. Most of it's even the same tempo.
    And sadly, our youth still think it's good. I even heard my 11-year-old brother the other day say that Nicki Minaj is a very good singer (shoot me).

• And quickly

Many popular pop artists are putting out music that they're fully aware is total garbage because it's garbage that's easy to market and therefore easy money. Carly Rae Jepsen knows "Call Me Maybe" sucks, but it's made her a lot of money so she cashed in on it anyway. She's far from the only one guilty of this practice.

• Yes, it seems pop music is making our culture less creative

For roughly the last 20 years or so pop music has generally been uninspiring. Yes, pop music has definitely made it fun to dance and maybe “back that thing up” at a night club or house party, however, it could not really be considered highly creative and/or intellectually inspiring. Unfortunately, the fact that pop music is simply fun, is most likely why it is so popular and thus “pop music”.

• No, other things are -

I'd say other things are making "our culture" less creative and that is largely being reflected through pop music. The record labels controlling all the mainstream music helps ensure that artists can't even use their creative freedom even if they are creative. People are usually naturally creative, despite the culture around them.

Pop music simply caters to a market which is already scared of creativity. I'd say there are many other reasons our culture is being "dumbed down" and can't handle other views or "out there" expressions of art.

• No. It is just fluff for consumption.

For example, the fact that fast food exists does not make people less creative in their cooking. If anything, people cook in more inventive and diverse ways now than they ever did before. Just because there is a core, less sophisticated form of something, it does not mean that true art is lost or undervalued. Our society is large enough to have both pop music as a reflection of culture and more advanced music as a creative endeavor. And let's also remember that pop music is about money and people will always find ways to be inventive when it comes to making money.

• To the Contrary.

Pop music is not making our culture less creative-to the contrary. Pop culture requires a lot of creativity in order to catch on, and regardless what any individual thinks of it, it exists because of demand of a large sect of the population. Just because its ideals are not shared with generations older than it, does not mean it is causing some detriment to our society. After all, the youth culture simply reflects those values that came before it.