• Security is more important.

“If the right to privacy means anything, it is the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion.” This is a quote by William J. Brennan Jr. According to the Washington Post, the National Security Agency (NSA) has broken privacy rules thousands of times a year since Congress has given the agency more power in the year of 2008. Most privacy violations that were broken involve unauthorized surveillance of Americans or foreign intelligence targets in the United States. The most serious infractions included a violation of a court order and unauthorized use of data of around 3,000 Americans and green-card holders. Security should be based on reason, not fear and our privacy will keep becoming exposed unless we appeal to the eye of social media.

• Freedom or safety?

Because of the inherent link between freedom and privacy, the question here is really a question of whether freedom is more important than security. And to that, I must agree.

Now, some might claim that this connection between freedom and privacy is nonexistent and therefore my argument would not stand. However, when we really think about it, tyranny (the opposite of freedom) relies on a devaluing of privacy. Indeed, as we look back through history, we find that every time privacy has been devalued, tyranny, to some extent or another, has resulted.

The question that remains to us then, is whether freedom should be value more than our security. In response to this question, I must say that freedom is of paramount importance and is, in fact, essential for our security. We can see this in the following quote by R.J. Rummel: “The more freedom a people have, the greater their health, wealth and prosperity; the less their freedom the more their impoverishment, disease, and famines.”

We see from this that freedom is essential to our security and well-being. Indeed, of such importance was freedom to the Founding Fathers that Patrick Henry once claimed that death would be preferable than a lack of this value.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

• They are both important but it originates with privacy.

As others have stated Benjamin Franklin is often quoted as having said "those that give up liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither and will lose both". So while they are both important we must hold onto our privacy if we truly want security. In the United States we have the 4th Amendment which guarantees us privacy from warrantless searches.

• Yes.

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Our freedom to privacy is equally important to our security because the people who would search through our private things are those that would lead to witch hunts and McCarthy type accusations. Even though not everyone is happy with the government all the time, people deserve the right to express that in the privacy of their own home without being persecuted.

• Privacy in my eyes is more important than security!

From my point of view on this issue, there is no question about it Privacy is more important than security. Security is important as well, but at the end of the day my home, or your home could be robbed any moment. If I walk into a mall tonight someone could commit a crime, of which could hurt someone or many. This is nature, and humans are going to be humans. Now yes security is important, but at the end of the day most people are civil enough in most of the USA to not commit a crime of which is going to worry me on a security level. Now the reasons for why I feel privacy is more important is simple. If I own a home on 5 acres, I bought that land, and home because I wanted to feel secluded. This allows for me to walk around the home naked if I would like without a curtain down, or go swimming in my pool naked. I also feel it always for people to feel good about ones self. If I knew that I was being watched 24/7 like many famous people it would make me go insane, and I would not be able to deal with it.

• Security should be based on reason, not fear.

Fear of terrorism has fueled major changes in the United States, some better than others. For example, TSA has been given a massive amount of power to protect Americans, and has been criticized for being unconstitutional, too expensive, and ineffective, yet it remains. There are enough people who fear terrorism so much that government plans and programs that threaten privacy and defend national security keep coming and never end. Some of these programs are even so secret that it often takes leaks to get the truth on how much privacy really has been threatened.

• Privacy is not the most important,but important.....

Everyone needs a privacy, and that's what we need more than security.If there are security and with ought privacy, security and safety is being useless.And i think that, no body can have an access to get people privacy even the government.Yeah, that's only my personal opinion, but those guys that think privacy is nothing should really think about what's their brain is thinking.

• Privacy is important for example:

“Leaving your house” or “getting on the internet” is not secure or private. Internet-Service Providers can keep a record of the sites you visit, every move you make on-line. Web sites use cookies to follow people around the internet. They use them to see what sites people are visiting and to see what people are downloading. Every time you use your credit card on-line you can never be sure if it will be secure or if someone will be able to access it

• Yeah my man

I her believiey dat uh, pravaci is uh, more inportnt, than uh, securt, cuz uh, my name is jeff , but yeh men , stuff lik this goin on on the world lik them people stelin identities, but yeah privacy is more important then uh securt, good bye jeff here

• Yeah my man

• Security is stupid

We need privacy. If we cant have the liberty to do our own thing, if people invade our privacy, how can we be secure as a nation? It just isn't possible! I guess what i'm saying is that i value personal privacy. Once we have individual privacy, we can then move on to security of all nations

• Security is way more important!

Privacy doesn't really matter to me. With full privacy, people would be able to get away with crime and other bad things. With full security, even though you know you're being watched, everyone does the right thing, creating a good society. Security makes sure that everyone is safe, while privacy lets people create unsafe situations.

• No.

Privacy is a very important factor in society however it does not hold more value than security. Some situations should be private and they are however if there is a clear and present danger that may be abolished by invading a certain level of privacy than it is more important for security to take the advantage.

• No

Security is the most important because nothing will ever be private anymore. With technology the way it is as well as media and social media. You can kiss any kind of privacy you have good bye. You have to rely on things being secured and people not being able to access them now.

• Life Or Death

Security is important but so is privacy. We need a a good balance between the two in order for this country to work!
    Without security this country would be in danger.
    But without privacy we would all go crazy and want more independence. Might as well be followed around by paparazzi then.

• Oh course Security is more important

To have privacy, you need security to guard it. Security is the head of all pleasures, and in the Declaration of Independence it was described that all men should have the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Although privacy can make you happy sometimes, life is still more important. Therefore, if people are too private and care for themselves, the government will be corrupt and put the nation in chaos. There would be no cooperation.

• Safety or Privacy?

In all honesty how can a governing body protect its citizens if there are no citizens to protect in the first place? It can't. I am in no way, shape or form saying civil liberties are not important and that we shouldn't have them. Because that is not true, we need them. However what we don't need is to put our personal privacy above our entire country's well being. It is in dishonesty that others have a severe opposition to this matter.

• Security is waay more important

It is more important because it can save the US from another terrorist attack like 9/11. Would you rather have thousands of people dying over a bombing that could have been stopped? Or would you rather have the US government going to your messages to make sure YOUR freedom & you are protected.

• You cant have 100 percent security and have 100 percent privacy.

If you have good security than people will check your privacy. Most people who come up with bad things have to communicate by some way. When they are far away they use social media, texting, or call each other to make plans. This is of course invading privacy when you look at our phone calls but they do it for the purpose to help us.

• Freedom requires security

Human nature and the fact that not every leader of every country is going to have our best interests at heart makes it imperative that we protect ourselves. America has way too much arrogance and brags too much. It makes other people want what is ours. We should shut up and take care of our own. We need to keep our country secure or we won't be free to have any privacy anyway.

TheBunnyAssassin says2013-07-05T19:40:52.727
Pretty intense, eh?