• Your reasons are poor simplu....

The opposition keeps quoting the "definition" of music. The issue is I refuse to think narrow minded, musice is more than a defintion. Music FOREMOST is expression, and art. The individuals are using definitions designed to describe their favorite type of music, lets face it alot of people who don't like rap never listened to it, proven .By the oppositions "generic" reasons for saying rap isn't music. Music that is given a fixed definition is not music at all end of.Discussion.

• Rap is better than country.

Rap is better than country because rap has a story behind it like trying to stop using drugs or finding a girlfriend. Country tells you about their girlfriend beer and jeans. Country people only hate rap because it "isn't real music". It has almost the same theme as country so they are basically calling country non music

• Yes, it is real music

This is an argument by anecdote: I was much too old to appreciate rap music, but one day I was inside cleaning my house and my neighbor was outside cleaning his car. Like a lot of men cleaning cars he had his radio up loud and it was playing rap music. As I walked around cleaning I suddenly noticed I was kind of bopping to the music and enjoying myself. I don't know that music has a formal definition by which you can determine what music is real and what is not, but any sounds that can make you get up and dance is music. It is the same as the art world, pioneers in that field have often encountered the accusation "that's not art!".

• True rap is about emotion and struggle

When most people judge rap, they are people that dont listen to it, but judge it anyway. I could just say that your favorite type of music sucks just because i heard one song. Dugs and gangs appear so much because thats whats they had to overcome, songs that focus on that are just fluffer songs that have no meaning, but some songs have real meaning, like president carter, not afraid, drive fast live young. And notice the kind of people that defend rap are the kind of people that dont judge others music.

• Of course

Like any other genre, it's unappealing to some. That doesn't disqualify it as music when it hits all the benchmarks something needs to in order to be considered such. Arguments against it being music rarely progress past "it isn't because I don't like it", which obviously isn't enough to disqualify it. A lot of people hate country music, but it's still music.

• Yes. It has the same core features of other music.

Although it may sound different and use speaking rather than singing, the voice is still being used as an instrument and the effect is still an artistic statement. Core musical elements like rhythm, melody, timing, and other aspects that are universal to all music also apply to rap. Usually, the people who complain about rap just do not like it because it is unfamiliar. But it is no less complex or intentional than most other music.

• All music is real music.

The music we are used to today and consider the top genres such as pop, rock and country all stem from things like jazz and old tribe music, none of which we would consider real music today. However, that was all the original music even if it is nothing like what we are used to. Rap is music just as any other genre is, it can inspire and entertain people and even if it isn't everybody's cup of tea, that doesn't mean it isn't real music at all. It is simply a different kind of music.

• Flow equals melody

Now see here... Lol I'm a rap artist, myself, by the name of Wary Marksman. I write and record all the time and am very well versed in the hip hop of the past and present. In the western world, we like to say that notes are only notes if they fit in with our 12 note chromatic scale. I would argue that all sounds made with the human voice are notes. They may be flat, sharp, percussive or exaggerated, but they still contain a crucial element: pitch. Biggie Smalls and Kendrick Lamar, both rappers, though B.I.G. Is no longer alive, have relied on smart variations of pitch during the presentation of their lyrics as part of their flow. In doing so, the audience hears a semblance of melody, even if it doesn't fit musically within the key of the sing or a western 12 note scale. Because if you're willing to count those half and quarter tones, it becomes a lot harder to deny the inherent musicality of the human voice.

• Mainstream rap is killing the image of rap.

The image of rap is being ripped apart by mainstream rap. The rap that I listen to on the radio is very different from the rap I have on my ipod. While mainstream rap promotes negative morals rapper like Shad promote the opposite of the mainstream,also rap not the only one guilty of promoting negativity. A lot of music is all about partying and drinking and disrespecting others, so to say its not music because of what it promotes isn't a fair argument. Also music is an art and anything can be art so no matter how odd or how illogical something may sound as long as you can hear it, it can be considered music.

• True rap is music. Hip-Hop is not.

True rap comes from the heart. Its music that has meaning. Too many people unfortunately get it mixed up with hip-hop.
    The trashy songs that you hear on the radio, the ones that don't really have much lyrics to them, that is not true rap.
    When the songs are about nothing but sex, women, money and cars.
    That is not true rap.
    True rap is about when you've lost a brother
    True rap is about trying to live up and be good to your mother
    Its about life, how you got where you are, your struggles and emotions
    Its not some terrible beat that constantly repeats
    Its not some music made just to make money
    Hip hop artist treat music as a business
    But true rap is a way to speak the soul

• Cheap sounding background beats, sampling other musicians, and talking sh*t does not music make

1. The beat: Years ago, I had a cheap Casio keyboard with pre-programmed beats and sounds. That is what I hear in today's rap - simple, push-button sounds from a cheap keyboard.
    2. Sampling: If I were a musician who created a unique sound and wrote a song to go with it, then, with actual talented musicians, recorded that song, I would be furious if some no-talent rap "artist" stole it.
    3. Vocals: This is the only somewhat original part of the rapper's "art." Sometimes rappers actually do a good of job mixing together rapidly "sung" vocal parts. Unfortunately, most of the lyrics are very weak to the point of sounding kind of silly, and there is almost nothing that sounds original. The use of similes is nauseating ("this is like that", "he is like ______", she is like _____"). Also, rap overtly uses vulgarity, sex, and promotes the use of alcohol and drugs. These lyrics are more for shock value than anything that is actually meaningful. And don't get me started on rhymes that remind me of a poem written by an 8 year-old. I miss the days when song lyrics were true poetry and it was often difficult to know the true meaning because one could interpret the song in different ways.

I haven't even discussed the personal life of rappers, their ridiculous choice of clothing and adornments, or the childish names they give themselves, but that's another argument.

• What defines music?

I am not a hater of rap music. I enjoy several of the popular artists today. My opinion however is that rap should be grouped into a category all on its own. Music is usually defined by instruments and singing, so while it does not quite fit into this category, maybe it could be called a form of poetry, since that is what rap is at its core. Rap is a form of art for sure as are all other genres, but I do not believe it quite fits in with other MUSIC persay.

• It might be an art form (?) But, it is NOT music!

Rap might be considered poetry. But, at least according to the definition, and my lifetime of playing melodies, it is not music. Main reason? There is no melody (or quality!)
    I am so disappointed that our young people are being taken to a lower level by this.. Stuff. Nice language! So demeaning to women! Teaching people to be ... Criminals!

My thoughts.. Rap is Crap!

• Ask a rapper to "sing" any song, just once...

The fact sadly is that rap is not music, but a mix of sounds, and already used beats. Any rapper you ask to actually "sing" any other song will fail miserably. The "talent" they have is not in their voice, but could be in their ability to mix like sounds, and contrasting sounds that people can dance to. It's not a real music, it's borrowed from others, and then strung together with lyrics. The whole idea of being a rapper is to "look the part" and act like a jerk I guess. How does the word "pimpin" become a good thing? Last I heard a pimp was a cowardly man who mentally, physically, and emotionally abuses women for HIS own profit. Seriously? That's cool? Get real.

• 'Soothing':That's what Music means....

In my opinion Rap music is isn't the real music, what I call.
    So, First a question is raised what exactly MUSIC, this 5-letter word actually means? Its the activity performed to entertain yourselves and give a chill pill to our daily BUSY schedule (except for the professionals). But, Nowdays the real definition has changed. All the fast routine, i think, has changed the art as well.
    Fast Music Real Music
    1. Its not soothing but, actually makes us more Tired.
    2. Its not for a break off the busy schedule and work but It fills up an instinct to an individual, sometime also acting as a DRUG.
    So, I conclude by saying that Rap music isn't Real usic

• No its not

1. Rap is literally a poem about sex and drugs, no lyrical meaning in any music (maybe 2 songs). Look at all of lil wayne's music (like wowzers and lollypop) Rappers just keep rethinking the same idea and writing about the same topic just to make millions more dollars like 2 chainz (she gotta big booty so i call her big booty) or (they ask me what i do and what i do it for, and how i come up with this s*** up in the studio, all i want for my birthday is a big booty call) the last line here has no relation whatsoever to the previous lines, yet this song is still somehow popular. Or whiz kalifas smokin good where "smokin weed like its oxygen" repeated the whole song.

2. There is no effort in rap, you sometimes don't even write your own lyrics, and 99% of rap beats aren't made by the artists, they are made by other people.

3. You don't have to be musically talented- a lot of beats and drums are computerized, and all you have to do is talk in rhythm, you don't have to have a good singing voice and be able to sing, i don't like country but at least you have to sing. You also don't play along with a band so it's not really a group effort.

4. People say rock is all about drugs, and i wont deny that alot is, but a hell of a lot less than rap, and alot of the songs actually have meanings and a purpose and not about smoking weed.

5. If you say all rock is about death and suicide, try and name 6 rock songs about death and name 6 rap songs about drugs and sex and tell me which one u finished quickest

• Sorry rap is not real music

Everyone talks about the struggle on the streets, drug life, gang life we have heard it repeated to death. And that its an art, sorry it doesn't take too much to flow just a decent vocab and ear for the MIDI produced beat or a sampled piece from some else's hard work. But to truly see if it is real music is the live experience. What do you see at a rap concert? The DJ pressing a button playing music no talent there, the rapper with 6 other guys repeating what he just said. A hey ho, uhh for an hour or 2 and that's it nothing musical there from what I can see. A rock on the other hand is very different. Every person on stage plays an instrument or two amazingly too actual rockstar status. People actually playing the drums, bass ,guitar, piano, actual singing every night on tour for 9 months out of the year. Its not done at just a press of a button and the music plays. And for people to say all they do is scream is very ignorant. Clearly they haven't heard the different sub genres of rock. Not saying that some bands don't but they perform that every night not so easy. It also comes to the audience. For rap less than half actually play a musical instrument. As for rock about 90% play instruments.I could have have picked any other genre of music like jazz, classical, blues, flamenco. I've listened to rap for many years as a multi instrument musician it doesn't hold up. Its in pop culture its in style to like rap course everybody defends it. It just makes me laugh when I see a rich white kid bumping lil boosie. He couldn't relate at all but its in style. I could go on about the constant dissing, who's the best rapper or who go's the hardest. You will never know. To sum it up its not real music no matter how much u think your expressing yourself or your opening your soul. For u mixed tape underground rap fans or its art sorry jay-z isn't the next Pablo piccaso.

• Rap is crap

I don't see how talking really fast and cursing excessively about drugs,white women,and guns could be considered music. Maybe it is considered music because of the jungle beats and excessive bass in that plays in the background? Ebonics is widely used in cesspools like Detroit and Atlanta so it should not be considered rap.

• Rap is the worse thing we can subject our kids to.

This trash that is called "music" by the black population is a perfect example of who they really are. Not one of these so called "Artists" can play a single instrument, they just steal samples of other peoples work and pretend they are creating something. Most of it sounds like a bunch of chimps screeching in sync to a chainsaw trying to cut concrete.

No, in all seriousness, Rap is nothing but an excuse for blacks to get away with hate speech and call it music. I say ban it burn it.

• No genre of music is the best

Lol it's totally funny to see this topic need to debate. Everyone has his/her own favourite music genre. If it was bad, it would not exist in the world at this moment. I rarely listen to rap music but I greatly respect the way rappers show their emotion in their songs.

bbulz says2015-02-07T22:07:09.627
Best thing ever
Ubik97 says2015-07-05T23:52:55.050
I'm not gonna touch this with a 10 foot pole.
sonicboy123 says2016-11-21T16:36:15.397
Ok