• Rape is rape, and the results are extrely difficult to deal with

I have being married for 20 years. After 5 years of marriage he committed his first rape, I was drunk and had no force to fight him back. After that he behave as nothing ever happened. I was so confused about what happened, cause he said he was just having what was my wife's duty.
    Years passed by and the problem got worst. I though I had a problem, I had no libido. Not knowing I was trying to deal with the fact that he was my husband and rapist. Then it got worst cause he forced me or threaten me, or fight so hard I was afraid of him. That's when the coercion rape was my daily basis. He raped more than 2,000 times in all those years.
    We has 3 kids and everyone thinks we are the perfect family. He's the best dad, the best boss, the perfect friend you name it, no one would ever belief what he did to me.
    I started to have physical problems due to the stress I am living. I had three nervous breakdowns. And the last one had been the worst of all. One they he tried to touch me and without any knowledge of what was happening, I started screaming and yelling him not to touch me. Since that happened it's being six months and I'm trying to fight the depression I'm in so I can fight him back in court. Don't know how it's going to end, but for experience you have to divorce your rapist. There is no way on earth you will get better until you have him out of your life.

• Rape practically signs the paper

Absolutely, rape should be grounds for getting a divorce. If someone commits a rape crime, and spends the next 20 plus years in prison, then yes, if a husband rapes their wife, or vice versa, this should give them the right to request a divorce. At the end of the day, rape is rape.

• Of course it should

Personally I believe that there are many good reasons for divorce, there's no point in staying married and making yourself miserable right?

As for spousal rape, this is sickening, the idea someone would force the person they love into sex is just wrong, I would then debate that there was love in this relationship and that divorce would be the best option. This would also prevent chances of recurrence.

• Rape is unacceptable and if a woman is raped, she should be granted a divorce.

I believe that rape is proper ground for getting divorce. If someone is raped, they are in an unhealthy environment, with the possibility of it happening again. Someone who will rape is more than likely violent, and the person who gets raped is in a violent environment. I believe no person should be made to stay in those conditions.

Posted by: FemaleTyron73
  • Yes, rape is proper grounds for getting a divorce.

I do think that rape is proper grounds for getting a divorce. A lot of people think that when you are married, the man or woman should be required to have sex whenever the other person wants to, and it's just not that way. If a man or woman is raped, I would say it's complete grounds for getting a divorce.

Posted by: SeriousNestor34
  • Rape is a proper reason for getting a divorce, because it is just another form of domestic violence.

Rape is domestic violence, just as much as hitting is. It is even a worse kind of violence. No woman should have to live with a man who treats her like that. She should be allowed to get protection from a man that forces her to have sex against her will, even if he is her husband.

Posted by: BestGreg
  • Rape is definitely grounds for divorce, since it is an assault on another person.

I feel that rape is ground for divorce, because it is a physical assault on another person. No one should have to endure being forced to have physical intimacy. Every person has control over their own body, and if the spouse can not accept the word "no", it is a sign of disrespect and a form of abuse.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • Rape is clear grounds for getting a divorce, because why would someone want to live with their attacker for the rest of their life?

Remember that sexual harassment isn't about how you feel. It's about how the victim feels, or perceives the offense. Sure, at one time you loved your spouse, but after they rape you, get out. That's not real love, that's called abuse, people. Wake up and smell the coffee. He says it will never happen again, and he says it was a mistake. His only mistake was thinking you were naive. You are entitled to marital assets in a divorce, if you would even still want them. Oh, and after you've documented the rape, it would be difficult to stay married with your husband in jail. Stay strong, and feel free to contact a rape crisis counselor, or battered women's shelter to gain back the confidence you once had.

Posted by: 5h4yTemP
  • If a man or woman rapes their spouse there is definitely grounds for divorce.

What person would want to remain married to a man or a woman who forced them to have sex? The worst part about this idea is that your spouse is supposed to be the person you trust and love most in the world; if you are raped by the person you love and trust most in the world, what does that do to your life? I don't see how anyone could remain married to someone who has raped them.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Rape is a proper grounds for divorce, because it is an illegal act.

Rape is a proper ground for getting divorced. Rape is an illegal act, even if committed against a spouse. Any illegal act committed against a spouse should be considered grounds for a divorce. Rape is abuse against another person. If rape is committed against a spouse, then it is spousal abuse. Abuse is also grounds for a divorce.

Posted by: ShortTrev
  • Of course not

I would never divorce my husband for raping me. If he feels the need to rape me that must mean I'm not having sex with him often enough, and as his wife I'm obligated to have sex with my husband whenever he wishes, so why should I think that divorcing him is merited just because he raped me?

• I do not believe rape is a proper ground for divorce, because the couple should be able to work through it.

Even though it would be very difficult to work this issue through as a couple, I do not believe the woman should be punished for having a terrible thing happen to her. They are not easy to find, but if you have a man who is compassionate, and can overcome his feeling of being violated, you can probably work it out and help each other through this.

Posted by: AboundingCaleb
  • Getting a divorce is about personal feelings and being unhappy with your marriage, not about the law.

There are many ways rape could enter a marriage, the husband could rape the wife, the wife could rape men on the street or even some one else rape one of the two. The point is not what happened, or how it happened the point is the couple happy? If any illegal activity happened that is a separate matter from a divorce best left to the police. You do not need a solid reason for a divorce, just be unhappy enough to go through the effort of getting one and pay the cost afterwards.

Posted by: H_Baird
  • I do not think rape is grounds for divorce, because it is not the woman's fault she was raped.

If a woman is raped, it is not her fault. She was the victim of a crime, and it would be unfair if her being a victim could be used as grounds for her husband to divorce her. A husband should stand by his wife at such a hard time in her life.

Posted by: BashfulEmil60

MasturDbtor says2013-03-27T08:24:33.320
What are we talking about here? There is confusion. Some of you are treating this like "rape" as a grounds for divorce for the husband when the wife is raped by somebody else and some of you think this is about spousal rape. No and yes, respectively.