Is reading classics in literature class a chore?

Asked by: Pokemonzr
  • Read at Home!

I mean, it's not like students don't know how to read by themselves! Plus, teachers make students read the same book time after time after time when in class. It seems like the teachers want to see us do something when they are feeling behind on their work or just lazy.

• I used to believe

I used to believe that reading in itself was very boring, but then i realized i started feeling that way becuase school forces you to read alot of crappy material you would never be interested in naturally. So i associated reading with time spent being bored the whole time. When i started playing rpg games, i started reading alot of in game dialogue but i was actually interested in it. So i decided i will do all of my reading playing rpg and adventure games.

• Indeed it is

I have always loved writing and do it all the time for fun, but reading is something that I never have enjoyed. I can read a few here and there, but it has to be either a fantasy, si-fi or mystery to really get my attention. Honestly, in English class I have never read more than 2 chapters of a classic book without putting it down and just looking the rest up on sparknotes (with the exception of Lord of the Flies). The ideas presented in these classic books absolutely bore me to the point of feeling nauseous and make me hate being alive. The only reason kids read these classic books in class is because the adult teachers loved the books when they were kids and don't realize that the interests of the kids they are teaching are completely different.

• We are forced to read things we that don't want.

Many classics given to read in Literature/English/Language Arts/Reading classes are wordy, lengthy, and, quite frankly, boring. We are forced to read in class and at home, and both seem like a chore. They are books that I don't want to read, and I am considering not reading them at all. Because of this, I believe that reading is definetely a chore.

• What is a Chore?

A chore is regarded as something one is being forced to do, and in this case implied boredom. For those have a passion of literature it is not a chore, nor is it a chore for those who like the book. But for some, especially those with reading difficulties, it is a chore. A task which is lengthy, and often is followed by a long essay.

Although personally I find reading classics interesting. I understand the ideas of those who find it a burden.

• Even if it feels like that it is your education.

Seriously, the level of unappreciativeness on this poll is shocking. Even if the classics are "boring" theyre less so if you think about them and their implications and societal context. You need lit class it is neccessary to understand historical and current events, how literature reflects society and influences it and the classics are the books that have had a role in that. What do you think we should be reading? Twilight? How to survive a zombie apocolypse? If i find math or history boring can i stop learning it? No because not being ignorant is important. You know how many people in the world would give anything for an education like yours? It dissapoints me to see people be so ungrateful for the priviledge of an education.

• I agree with Stefy.

It honestly shocks me to see that so many people seem to hate these books nowadays. As Stefy said, it IS your education, and you can't bend the rules for yourself. If you are required to read a classic, then it is the school board's decision and you can't change that. Even if you don't like it, it's for your own good as it will help your brain to grow and for you to be able to comprehend more things.

• Grow a brain!!!

Modern students are a bunch of over-indulged, over-stimulated dimwits who only want to be entertained. Yes, it's a bit of an effort to read the classics, in the same sense that doing anything meaningful requires effort. Having, in fact, taught students myself, I see among them, a frightening lack of curiosity and passion.

• Books are great no matter what.

I love books personally, so all books are good. I understand that some do not share the same passion. But classics are like history, they come from all different eras, and with all different stories. To not like classics is one thing, but to no want anything to do with them is another. Classic books are like keys to finding the map of peoples thought process of when they were written. I most defiantly do not fell that its a burden to read classics.

• Not all classic literature is the same.

Just because a book has a blank cover with just a title does not make it boring. The saying goes, "don't judge a book by its cover." open a book and read it for at least 30 minutes and you should be hooked. Especially if it is a classic, because it is known as a classic for a reason.

• Vague, unanswerable question

"The classics are boring" is a nonsense statement. What constitutes "literature" or "the classics" is completely arbitrary. Some heavy-handed Victorian novels might be considered classics, but Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse Five are often taught in classes, as well. I even remember reading Bradbury. This seems like the kind of question only a non-reader would pose. By answering "yes" to it, you are essentially rejecting everything but modern popular fiction.

Make sure you are not approaching your reading with a negative attitude. If you consider yourself a reader, stop thinking in terms of "classics" or "literature". Just be open-minded about it. It's sort of like that fence-painting scene from Tom Sawyer, but going in the opposite direction. You are most likely making it a chore for yourself. Stop that. Approach it like a novel you'd read in your spare time.

That said, I believe a reader would already know better than to make such a sweeping generalization about a "subset" of fiction that could include... Pretty much anything in any genre. If you have convinced yourself that reading in general is boring, you've got another problem altogether. And you ought to resolve it. Saying that "reading is boring" is akin to saying, "music is boring." It doesn't make you sound like an intelligent person. I guarantee that you can find something you will enjoy reading. That is, if you don't approach everything with your mind already made up...

• Vague, unanswerable question

• What is a Chore?