• Christianity is close to a cult.

What sense does it make to determine how life should be because of a book or a scripture? I hear people say, "well God told us to do this..." or "God told us to do that..." but how does something that has never been proven to exist "talk"? If it truly talked, then why are people reading a book instead of listening for a voice. Is there even proof to show that the books are fact over fiction? If "God" existed, then what does he look like? Sound like? Personality? Also, I see it pointless to spend good sleeping time at night to face a wall and start talking to it. When has praying ever helped anyways? Same with spending a pointless 2 hours of the weekend at church when it could be spent other ways. You're just listening to a random man speaking about a book. But, 2 annoys me the most when preachers preach about how "God loves everybody" but being LGBT pro, or even different period is not allowed. And that people should give money to the church because you are supposed to "serve God" by no being rich. That being rich puts a mark on your record towards heaven, but have you seen the Vatican??? They are RICH as hell. What is this? I'll tell you what this is. It biggest and longest lasting scam in history that flys right under our permanently brainwashed community.

• Religion is bullshit

I personally think religion is a large cult for people who are too weak to accept all the shit that happens in life. They crave something to blame it on, someone to 'pray" to. And when they do something right, instead of being proud they thank their "god" when clearly theyre just not confident enough to believe they did it.
    Vbashkdbvjc,bnxzjn,vasbjdf fucking hate religion.

• Seems like a cult

I was forced to go to church, believe, and accept it all as truth without proof or question. That gays are bad, being different is wrong, hell, even certain fabrics and meats are bad depending on whether or not it has hooves. Eve (and subsequently all women forever) was punished with painful childbirth because she made one mistake? If I were to believe in a deity it would be one that embraces all. And saying god gave us free will is just a convenient excuse for all the bad shit that happens in the world. He can do good....But not prevent rape and murder and war? What good is a god then? Its just folk stories written long ago to give society a moral code to live by that gullible people continue to fall for with blind faith. I hate hearing that "god has a plan for them or needed an angel" when a child dies. Any god taking young young children for selfishness and a low angel census sounds like a terrifying asshole. And the sheer number of religions in the world and everyone thinks theirs is the one and only and their beliefs and rules are truly the correct interpretation...We cant all be right.

• Yes it is.

It brainwashes people from a young age, then those people inturn also let their children get brianwashed. It's got scare tactics of heaven and hell. If you live in a community that's Catholic you can get bullied into going if you don't go every Sunday. I lived through that before.

• Yes it is.

• Definition of a cult

Cult - a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object. That figure being Jesus, you know, the guy Christianity is based off of. Christians worship Jesus for being murdered on some planks of wood. They drink his blood and eat his body. Just walk into a church, look at the crucifix, and tell me its not a blood and/or murder cult

• Clearly religion is a cult

Some have said it so elaborately, please see above. Simply, researching religion--which to follow/whether to follow does nothing more than lead one in circles of man-made explanations.... How can one religion be superior to another? How can reinterpretations of outdated languages be accurate, especially when incomplete (e.G. Those books of Bible written by women but not included in some king's "version?"). Etc.
    Be kind, be inquisitive, be thankful for the good & beautiful. But be of one's own mind.

• Undecided a bit of both

Religion is a cult up to a certain standard because you are doing something that you have not chosen to do yourself so it takes human rights out of it however in the bible God doesn't force you to do anything that's where I believe people are wrong in that fact.

• Religion is a cult

Any organization that imposes rules based off of their interpretation of a mistranslated text and then further requires their followers to accept this text as a tenant of faith is asking their believers to ignore basic principles of logic. I often think back to the question posed by Socrates, " Is an act right because God says it's so, or does God say it's so because it's right?" Undoubtedly the conclusion that I draw from that question is that God commands it because it is right thus indicating that it would be right whether or not God commanded it... So why not just take him out of the equation all together? If you feel that the answer is to the contrary and that it is only right because God commands it then how does one argue against when Holy texts are rewritten to accommodate for inaccuracies or "new information"? I feel that means that any information that existed previously is now in contradiction with God's laws. Therefore, the notion that God is all knowing and makes no mistakes would prove to be incorrect for if that were true no revision should ever need to be made. To indicate that a text written and rewritten so many times is relevant to the way each and every person should live their lives is absurd for not everyone experiences the same things and some topics simply are not covered in the Bible. If you are meant to apply other teachings from the Bible in cases where information is scarce that protocol is tainted by interpretation which has been shown to vary wildly and destructively.

• Cult and contradictory

Although "cult" is stigmatized as a taboo word in the realm of the practicing religious, it is a cult in it's essence; the major difference being longevity. Any cult that sustains several generations is eventually considered religion. Take away the negative connotation assosiated with cult and consider Christianity for a moment. For as long as the Old Testament was around, there was no mention of Christ in it. If one was to have believed the word of God, the Old Testament, and have lived from 80 B.C. To 15 B.C., believing and living their lives as instructed to, at that point, what's to be said of their salvation without their belief in Christ; because he didn't exist yet. The loudest message in Christianity is salvation through belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ as your savior, but without knowledge of this savior who didn't even exist yet, what is to be said of those who lived a devout life in accordance to the Bible before he even existed? To make this long winded entry shorter, yes it is a cult. If you had a small movement of people, today, who believed that a man traveled around healing the sick, walking on water, insisting we share equally be claiming to be the son of God you'd undoubtedly call them a cult or socialist commie liberals. Because it's ludicrous. As ludicrous today as it would've been 2000 years ago.
    If faith gives you purpose and keeps you on a path towards treating your fellow man as your brother, devoid of prejudice, then good. But it usually doesn't. It divides more than anything.
    If I was created in God's image, and I'm to be judged by whether or not I believe a story because I'm told to "or else", I'd hope that in his image he'd see the skeptic in himself through me, and realize that we ask why and how. Only a cult would tell you to just shut up and believe or else. Sounds like church to me.

• No, not all religion is a cult.

Not all religion is a cult. A cult uses persuasive mind techniques to recruit members and to keep them. They forbid critical thinking and harass members who leave. Cults are not just based on religion. There are New age cults, money cults, and many others. Calling all religion a cult is an unfair generalization.

• No, not all religion is a cult.