Is religion for people who need faith from some thing other than themselves?

Asked by: keYs101
  • Religion is Bullsh.It

Religion is total bullsh.It because it's nothing more then Systematic Control. It causes psychological damage to people. It can even cause people to go insane. These are good reason's I'm a Misotheist. I despise the god's and their weak and pathetic and cowardly "Religious Threats". I'm tired of people falling victim to oppressive systematic control.

• Yes, religion is for people who need faith in something outside themselves.

But it is a different argument for whether or not we really do need faith in something outside ourselves.

I would argue that all people need something outside themselves to have faith in. This is supported by the fact that all cultures have developed religions, some independently from one another. Even people who claim they have no "religion" still have a set of beliefs and a trust in something greater than themselves (whether it be the government, science, powerful people, a certain political ideology, etc.) And as far as we know, humans are the only animal to have this desire and who have developed religion. This is an intelligent desire, because being humans, we know (most of the time) that we are not powerful, smart, or good enough to put faith in ourselves.

And why do we need this faith? Every person desires to know the truth and have the right outlook on life. We also desire to have usefulness and meaning in our lives. Every ideology or purported truth requires a bit of faith (at the very least, faith in our senses to accurately report the world to us). Believing in something larger than yourself can bring you a sense of meaning.

Whether this desire comes from a glitch in evolution or from a God who designed humanity with it is for you to decide.

• Religion is Bullsh.It