• Of course it does

I am catholic, so i dont hate religion, but come on people, religion has so many moral codes that hold science and society back. Some religions more than others, especially ones that dont agree with medication. Medication saves so much people, but yet some religions think of it as evil. I know of a family that didnt give their kid the medication he needed. The parents thought that the only medicine the kid needed was god, so they just prayed, and guess what happened to the threeyear old boy, he died a horribly slow death.

• Yes it is.

Debates over science are far more constructive and ethical without a supernatural component, by the nature of debate it should always deal in fact.
    Since, generalizing, what religions primary ascertain cannot be shown to be fact they should have no place in the debates about things they disagree with purely because of unsubstantiated religious claims.
    As part of society there is room for religious people to be included in debate but not to air speculation on things that are not relevant and unnecessary, ie the bible said we shouldn't.

Many lives have already been likely lost due to stem cell research not being utilised to it potential, this only causes problems for the poor as the rich largely ignore religious bable and go to a more enlightened part of the world and receive treatment.
    You could go as far as to reason that religion is actually a form of eugenics in some ways as it restricts some life saving treatments to poorer people..

• Ignorance is bliss

These ignorant people interpret are hiding something, my guess is most of them barely made it through high school and think they have found a cause. It is not our place to judge others but God himself is the judge, and will judge them if he deems it necessary. This is nothing more then a cheap crusade with little facts and are the same type of people who would stand the streets in the middle ages watching someone being hung because they believe they were a witch, again, without any facts. Through their version of interpretation they have decided to stand on the side of the road looking like idiots, what next, children with ADD or ADHD, how about fat people because the bible says your body is a temple? Well some of these walking temples are being abused. What about Albino's, or people with a speech impediment, how about the child born with a FACIAL PALSY
    CLEFT LIP/CLEFT PALATE or MICROTIA or HEMIFACIAL MICROSOMIA
    VASCULAR BIRTHMARKS / HEMANGIOMAS these people most likely don't even know what these things are. Ignorance is another form of mental blindness and if it wasn't for the successes of rights you most likely see people in the streets with signs saying we should kill people who are stupid and don't have enough facts about one issue to be allowed to make a decision. I do have issues with gays but being gay is not one of them. For instance, I think that their roles in the schools should be limited, I don't think they should be able to adopt children until we understand this phenomenon better. I don't believe that because of their sexual preference should allow them the right to change our beliefs and ideology in marriage. However, I am for their right in a union.

• Brain Scans Prove it

Neuroscience is proving religion wrong with brain scans. Like they found that Buddhists have bigger and healthier brains than Christians do because of the deep breathing meditation makes Buddhists less stressed. The more stressed a person is the smaller their brain is. The less stressed a person is the bigger their brain is. Christianity is thought to cause more stress to a believer than many of the other world religions do. So thus, a smaller brain. Also brain scans have proven that children that are spanked regularly have less grey matter in their brain. The butt and the brain are connected some how. Most people will say, "I was spanked and I turned out fine." But the goal isn't to turn out 'fine.' The goal is to turn out healthier and happier than the previous generation. It is proven that in counties where spanking has been illegal for a decade or two, there are fewer cases of domestic violence toward women and far less violent crime. Children are better able to learn problem solving skills. Also brain scans have proven that gay men have brains that look like a woman's brain. Christians just shake their heads at all these brain scans. They even look at brain scans of Schizophrenics and say, "A demons is causing the difference in the brain." So no matter what, there is no logical explanation for mental illness. It's always demons even with evidence to the contrary. All the poor people with mental illness that go untreated because of their pastors. I get annoyed when Christians get upset about abortion because they don't seem to realize that a lot of the women that get abortions are the same women at church that they lie to about mental illness. If Christian women were treated for Bipolar disorder or depression or anxiety or whatever it is that's causing them to want to kill their children then maybe there wouldn't be as many women sitting in the pews that have abortions. Pre-partum depression is just as real as post-partum depression. Denying this fact by telling women that they don't need medicine isn't making abortion decrease. I had pre-partum depression and it took 40mg of Prozac to have the baby with out hurting myself or the baby. Guess what? I went off my medicine and tried hanging myself BEFORE I knew that I was pregnant again. The dirty looks I got at church were unbelievable. Quit teaching lie about mental illness if you want children to be born. All I have to say!

• Yes its holding us back

Just look at the middle age we got hold back for nearly 1000 years. The only thing religion gave us is war and death, the argument that religion is keeping humanity in check is just nonsense people kill another because of anything religion didn't prevent a single conflict instead they killed people who weren't in their religion. If Christianity wasn't an religion nobody would talk anything good about it.

• Religion prevents critical thinking and skepticism.

I used to be a Christian and I remember getting into a lot of time outs as a child for asking questions about the plot holes in the bible. Religion has no room for people who want to think for themselves.

Science changes it's views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that faith can be preserved - Tim Minchin

• Of course it is.

Look, I come from a christian family and I love them! But don't cut me short, I don't care what people believe in as long as it does not affect me. Now, if we're talking things like the Dark Ages, THEN we have a problem, I've seen a lot of people reference that but don't reference the people actually doing it, most, if not all of them where after A. Not going to hell/going to heaven for eternity, B. Making sure that God cannot be unproven until it gets strong enough, so that others don't "Suffer", and C. Power. Power drives people mad, insane, they'd rather have power and use it to the fullest extent and make thousands suffer than make one person happy while keeping that power under control. Simple as that. Power Corrupts. And this is for sure what would have happened to god, but why doesn't it, you ask? Because people think that, if they believe in him, that they will gain his power, same for the opposite side of the spectrum, Satanists believe that the Devil is the one true lord, that they should appease HIM with Sacrifices and such while others have no say in it.

Also, sorry, kind of went on a rant there, my bad.

• I would say so, but not entirely.

Sure, a bit of superstition isn't exactly a bad thing. When it grows into something larger, then we start having major problems. Look back at the Middle Ages. Hundreds of years of little to no medical progression because the Christian Church had any and all education under lock, key and so much scrutiny. What's that? Questioning the Church? BURN HIM!
    Okay, we aren't that barbaric anymore and most humans are willing to listen to both sides of the story. But there will always be those that hold us back, like the nutters of religious groups. Extremists like IS and the Westboro Baptist Church (yeah, those lunatics in the picture.)
    People that are willing to smash planes into buildings, bomb concerts full of people and mow down crowds in airports. Why? 'The infidels didn't believe what we believe and must be destroyed.'
    In all, it doesn't completely hold science and progression back, but it'll always be there, and in my mind, these gods are merely more sophisticated versions of a child's imaginary friend.

• Yes it is

Just three words can help justify why I believe that religion has held back humanity: The Dark Ages. We all remember this (At least, I hope). The Dark Ages, in a nutshell, was a time when religion had complete control over the world. It may not seem too bad for some people that have never heard of it before, but there are other factors. Take for instance how dozens - maybe hundreds - of scientific books were destroyed, because they contradicted God. Researchers have estimated that this act had an effect that stunted scientific research by roughly 1,000 years. Big number, right? In fact, the number was so bit, that the gigantic gap left behind by The Dark Ages was the difference between where we are right now, or the capability of interstellar travel, and guess what we got stuck with?

Of course, this is only just one time in religious history, but every day, I see people at my own school, stating that they don’t believe in evolution/that the Earth is round, or that it’s “just a theory,” even though the having a theory and evidence to support it is better than just blind faith. Not just that, but there have also been numerous times when religion has stunted science indirectly (Ex. The stock market crash following 9/11) and directly (ex. Radical religious people literally preventing scientists from performing life-saving or technologically-revolutionizing experiments that “go against God’s will.”)

It also saddens me to see some religious people denying medication that they presume to be evil or satanic. If you have read the comment at the top, it’s easy to see why. If you haven’t, then the comment is of a 3-year-old boy with a very bad sickness, but his parents denied the medication he needed for only prayers, because they believed that God was the only medicine he needed, and the boy died a slow, painful death.

All of this is coming from a former Christian that broke free of the chains of religion and became an atheist, and before you deeply religious people decide to come to me and say that I’m bashing religion, I’m not. I’m stating my honest opinion of a religious debate on a random website I found a few weeks ago.

• Yes it is

• No, it is not

The picture above misrepresents religion. It shows the extremity of religion, which not all following religion fall into. What if I put a picture of Stalin and asked whether atheism was holding mankind back? And there is also bad science.

Reasonable religion is not holding humankind back, but rather saves humankind from its degenerating appetites.

• A moral code

Many people are of the believe science is what moves the human race forward. However, without religion there wouldn't be science. The earliest recorded sciences were about proving religion wrong or trying to discredit it somehow. However, moving forward isn't just about scientific democracy or how advanced your mobile phone is. It's a morality issue. We could be at the peak of science, but without morals we wouldn't be forward. We'd be cold, dependent and emotionless. For humanity to move forward we need religion. For it is religion that provides the basic human morals that almost everyone abides by, the ten commandments being an example. Religion is one of the few things left that actually teaches these basic human morals, and to lose one would be a travesty. The human race is selfish, greedy, jealous, angry, petty and murderous as a whole, all we need to do is look at the world and current events and history to prove that. The only common factor in every war, every murder, every fight was greed, one side always wanting something from the other. Religion is the only thing teaching against this. We need to recognise this to move forward as a race. Not advance technology.

• No, Not Really

1. Religion helps provide the order which keeps society in check. One may argue that atheists can be moral too. Yes they can...For a while. But after a while they'll start justifying and then legalizing immoral, unhealthy, and dangerous behaviors and lifestyles. 2. Religion does not hinder science. If one argues in favor of Stem Cell research because the results of the research is beneficial to mankind, one might as well justify the Nazis' experimentation on Jews and other groups which they persecuted. Global Warming is not necessarily something that religion makes its followers deny, but this is assuming that large scale manmade climate change is a reality. 3. Religion does not cause wars. Diversity causes wars, and religion is simply another factor which adds diversity. 4. Religion provides purpose and a hope of a Life to Come after we die. 5. Religion does not necessarily cause bigotry. While there are many homophobes among the "Religious Right", opposition to homosexuality is often due to a belief that the behavior is immoral, not a hatred of "gay" people. Science shows that there are many health risks associated with homosexuality, so perhaps even atheists should stand in opposition to homosexuality. 6. Religion is responsible for many charity organizations. 7. There are people who convert to a religion (such as Christianity) and experience a dramatic positive change in their behavior and lives. 8. Atheism has also been responsible for much persecution and bigotry, such as in places like the Soviet Union, the People's Republic of China, North Korea, etc. While one may argue that these atrocities were not committed in the name of atheism, I would say that they were, as anti-theism is a type of atheism. It is radical militant atheism, as there have been radical militant forms of virtually all religions. 9. While religion causing diversity can be a bad thing, it can also serve to make our world more "colorful". 10. Science has not disproven religion, while a large degree of Biblical Prophecies have come to pass.

• Religion Not Holding Mankind Back

Religion does not in any way hold mankind back. While some people might argue that it causes plenty of conflicts, religion itself doesn't hinder humankind in any major way. Plenty of other institutions are far more damaging to mankind as a whole, so religion shouldn't be targeted in any special way.

• No it is not

What holds humanity back is sort sightedness, fear, and pettyness. Now sure these things can manifest themselves in organized religion, however so can all the good things about humanity. Where ever humans are the good and bad can always exist within. And people are not going to get anywhere if we keep pointing fingers at large groups of people.

Quan says2013-12-29T17:59:10.970
Not necessarily religion itself. It's the simple-minded people who selectively interpret or outright misinterpret religious teachings.
abyteofbrain says2013-12-30T21:51:46.590
It holds people back from doing destructive things.
TheLady says2018-01-12T15:05:34.693
I would not blame the entirety of humanity’s issues on religion. When looked at from a distance, religion has very little control over most of contemporary society in advanced nations. Most of us in the West no longer have to seek out the opinion of a priest when dealing with matters of the heart.

Does religion have its problems? Absolutely. Christianity needs to go through a reform, and it would not hurt for the major myths to be re-examined in a more holistic manner. This, among other things, such as all manners of abuse, and gender equality.

However, religion - Christianity, Islam, Judaism - will not change unless there are individuals willing to take up these traditional roles and modernize them. If there were more wise, well-meaning leaders and thinkers in the church/mosque/synagogue, things would probably move forward. Ridiculing beliefs and being hostile does nothing but encourage more resistance in my experience. And unfortunately, there will always be extremists and fundamentalists who are drawn to the collective identity of religious leadership.

Religion is not in conflict with science. Scientific research is still going strong in the world. Other than giving most people a good laugh, Young Earth types have little to no
power outside of their niches other than being generally annoying and emphasizing their ignorance. If the media stopped giving them so much attention, and atheists left them to their own devices, they would eventually move on or stop talking. They are not worth the time or the effort.

Plus, I would not want to live in a controlling atheistic society where there is no freedom to question the status quo, similarly to any theocracy. I have, unfortunately, seen the same sort of paranoia and need for controlling private thoughts and inner worlds in many militant-type atheists. The problem is not the beliefs themselves but the people at the center who seem to fear others and wish to have a false sense of conformity by taking away forms of expression which they don’t agree with. Mythology has a place in our universe, and destroying an outlet of creative energy will leave a vacuum in it’s place.

Personally, atheism is not a satisfactory stance alone. Just as Christianity cannot answer every question, atheism is just one path amongst many. If it works for some, that is fine, but others like myself continue to desire seeking more knowledge and still are fascinated by the ambiguities of reality and the human condition. I think it is more valuable to continue on an individual path instead of getting stuck in one state of being. At times, atheism as a group has felt just as oppressive as organized religion. The internal policing, hostility towards anyone who questions dearly held convictions, misogynist attitudes, and exalting a few men out of many who pander to the needs of the crowd was limiting to my need for individual self-expression. If something is wrong, ridiculous, or harmful, we should be able to bring this up in a discussion. But that is not always the case.

Human beings are unique. There are no two like each other on this earth, and we should each be valued as individuals and for having our own purpose in life. Like with many ideologies, atheism needs to look inward more than it does outwardly, at external forces. We seem to continually neglect the emotional and spiritual needs of humans by demanding they live a purely intellectual, extraveted existence. If atheism were more open to examining the human heart and its turmoils, perhaps, I would have remaine. Unfortunately, I found it just as antagonistic to individuality as organized religion. What’s the use of a value system, if you’re expected to diminish your own personal desires in favor of group think? Why does atheism insist on ignoring the needs of the human soul and becomes threatened by any form of self expression, creativity, or emotion? Christianity also turns a blind eye to this as well.