Is religion inherently rational (yes) or irrational (no)?

• Yes it is

In this day and age most scientists are religious. They have found the systems of the earth, the human body and the universe to be perfect and incredibly intricately designed. It all points to intelligent design not coincidence.

80% of the world population have strong religious beliefs. This is the case because it is logical.

• Think way back when!

If you think about it, it makes perfect rational sense. I am no bible thumper, nor a basher; my opinion is bias free. I believe in a "God"- what that means to me is another story. For a long time, I didn't know what to believe, I was agnostic. However, one day, I thought about all the stories about dragons and how they were revered or feared all over the world; there was no way for such an idea to have spread so rapidly and consistently throughout the world! Sure, there were boats, and people DID make it to another place in the world, but continent crossing was pretty rare. It is this simple idea that makes me truly believe in a higher power. How is it that religion was spread through the ENTIRE world without there being a reliable method of transportation? Now, when someone asks which religion is the 'right' one, I have no answer. I like to think it was based off a true religion and was twisted over time by word of mouth.

• Is is inherently irriational

Religion is definitely irrational. At it's core, it is based on belief in things which cannot be proven with measurable scientific data. " But we have a book! We can believe in that!" Yes, but most everything in that book is far-fetched and completely unproven. When scientists can create a tool or process that can prove God's existence beyond a reasonable, then one could make the argument that religion is rational. Until then, it definitely is not.

• Everything is ultimately rational

It's just a matter of what one's goals are (rationality without goals which are not themselves rational or irrational can not exist) and what one is aware of. Everything a person does is rational in light of goals and the awareness that motivation was exercising. A person can have split awareness in fact everyone does which is why sometimes people do irrational things. There is nevertheless a reason which in light of what that part of yourself is aware of and what it is not and what goals it has makes complete sense.

• If you can't tell me why you believe what you believe...

You have no business believing it.

I was raised a Catholic. I was aces in my Catechism class (once got in a vehement argument with a nun after kicking every single boy's ass in Bible trivia yet being told I could not be a priest -- even though I was smarter -- because I had a vagina). I no more believe that God made Adam a companion out of his rib than I believe that my pet goldfish, Gorby, is going to open the top of the lid on his fish tank, stroll over to me on his back two fins, and wish me g'day. Why?

Because science. Because I am a rational being who can think. I don't know if i was given this gift by an amorphous god (I tend toward that, being a theist), or whether I am an accident of chemistry, molecular biology, and quantum physics. But herein lies the rub: I'm not afraid to say I don't know.

I do not know.

I do remain convinced that anyone who tells you that they DO know is a scam artist of the purest ray serene. How do I know this? We have ministers making multi-billion dollar salaries and paying ZERO in taxes (by the way, if you're a minister raking in bank and preaching hate against refugees, let me be the first to say, "fuck you very much."). We have governments paying in thousands of lives and trillions -- yes, trillions -- of dollars to fight for what they believe in the name of "God." We have millions of women being stripped of their enjoyment of sex and sold into slavery each year in the name of God. Sorry, but if your "god" demands mass murder and mutilation, your god is a piece of shit. I'd rather worship the devil than such a malevolent "god."

If I had to choose a religion to practice, it would likely be Wicca, because it makes sense to worship the planet that gives us life daily (Instead of destroying it as good Christians often do), and because we've burned plenty of witches without any one of them ever coming back and starting a religious war against us (although they probably should -- but that's the bitch of practicing a truly peaceful religion -- you can't both practice it and wage war).

Long post short, if you can not justify to me why you believe what you do other than to say, "Well, it's in the Bible/It's in the Koran/It's on this really groovy fucking website my pastor created," you are a disgrace to God's creation. God gave you a brain; fucking think with it. And stop blowing each other up.

• At least not a PERSONAL GOD

We can suppose that there is a god for a bees or ants nest.

The colonies work constructively without a government or autocratic body or individual.

Is it a group consciousness ?

The closest I can come to a god for humans is similar.

Maybe there is a group consciousness for humans.

I sure don't see any evidence of a PERSONAL god.

If one existed then he is in a coma or out fishing as he sure ain't doing anything that I can see.

It is easy to see that universal flood stories are based on sea shells on mountains (tectonic plate subduction causing mountains from sub marine plates etc).

God turning people into salt as crystalline composition near a salt sea (Dead Sea etc).

Ignorant societies needed to create gods to explain the inexplicable.

There is still a lot we don't know, but we know enough to know gods are not needed to explain what happens.

God gives people peace so he exists. Alcohol makes people feel good so I guess a god lives in a bottle too.

• Rationality vs Irrationality

Christianity claims there are truths which are beyond the power of reason to demonstrate, but that doesn't mean it's irrational. There's a difference between what is irrational (against reason) and what is suprarational (above reason).

Consider this. Quantum physics is above the reasoning abilities of most four-year-olds. Does this make it, even for a four year old, irrational? No.

Or think about this. To know everything there is to know about modern science is beyond the capabilities of any one human being. This is why we have specialists. Yet, we don't say that, because the totality of scientific knowledge is beyond the powers of one person to know, science is irrational.

In other words, the fact that a person is limited in what he can know doesn't mean there isn't something beyond that. If we move from an individual to the human race as a whole, we can say that the fact that there may be limits upon what man, as a finite creature can know, doesn't mean there aren't thing beyond what he can know.

Christianity claims to have a message from beyond man's intellectual horizon. It claims God (whose existence, by the way, is knowable even with our finite reasoning abilities) has revealed things which are beyond reason, but which don't conflict with it. It also claims that reality as we know it gives evidence, though not proof, that transcendental truths exist. Whether this is so or not, it's not an irrational position.

From the Christian perspective, the rationalist is like a man with a road map who, having found the map reliable in what is pictured, somehow concludes from this that only what is pictured is real. The rationalist thinks roads which go off the map go nowhere, but it's really rationalism with its blind faith that's a dead end.

• Religion is inherently irrational

I would like to describe my experiences interacting with a few of highly educated individuals who have done a lot of research throughout their working lives. All of them are incredible human beings and way more intelligent than me. I cannot but be amazed at their sheer brilliance when it comes to tackling complex scientific questions. But when it comes to matters of religion and faith, this brilliance and their ability to think rationally, takes a backseat. Logic goes out of the window and they totally give in to blind faith, which was instilled into them as youngsters. This continues to baffle me to this day. When such brilliant people can give into primordial instincts such as faith, what hope is there for regular human beings?

• Religion makes people irrational.

• At least not a PERSONAL GOD

Is it a group consciousness ?

• Religion is based on the things people are confused about.

Originally religion was created to explain the different things that happen in the world that people in those times could not explain. Just like in Greek or Roman mythology there are different god that have different abilities; Zeus is used to explain why there is thunder and lighting in the skies, but as people saw they needed a history so they made a complex hierarchy of gods and titans. All religion is, is a good example of the creativity of the human mind when there is no external influence other than natural occurrences showing that there is nothing about religion that is rational.

• Its just FAITH.

Not science. Not philosophy. Faith. Ever wonder why the religious often resort to "I'm offended by that statement" as though it somehow adds to the discussion, or is at all a "rational" response? The reason in most cases in my opinion is because their faith train hit a wall of "rationality" at great speed. They become shaken to the point that all they can do is ask "what would jesus do?" and the best they can come up with is appealing to your sense of compassion for their feelings. That appeal falls on deaf ears in my case. I respect people. As partners in the project of civilization. If one of our partners has an idea that seems outlandish (irrational), I still respect that person as a person. I do not however respect their idea, and I feel an obligation to make them aware (if we are engaged in a conversation) of the irrationality of their idea or belief. Not only to express my lack of support for their initiative, but also in case I've misunderstood initially it gives them a chance to clear up the confusion. I've never had an experience with a person of "faith" who informed me that they were offended by my statement, that resulted in anything being "cleared up", or restated in a way that caused me to change my mind about the topic. It is most often due to a lack of evidence for their "faith", coupled with the "fruits of their works" as made clear by a brief history lesson. It is my contention that the greatest threat to civilization at this point in history is dogmatic belief without evidence. Science has become dogmatic to the "elders" in a lot of cases and religion has retarded scientific progress since it's inception. Every scientific question (that I'm aware of, and I'm aware of quite a few) that's been "answered" using religious belief has later been proven...I say again, proven woefully inaccurate by scientific inquiry. I'm always willing to hear out a rational intelligent point of view that can be supported using evidence and reasoning. I will not however lend any credence to a supposition that requires "faith". I've been told "you just have to believe". No. I don't. Muslims have to believe. Hindus have to believe. Christians have to believe. I use evidence and reason to come to my conclusions. It's easier to Love others using my method.

• We've all been taught different things

There are so many different religions, and so many denominations within religions. Everyone claims their own belief is the correct one, and that all other beliefs are false. This is probably what they've been taught their whole lives. With so many conflicting beliefs in the world, it's impossible for anyone to really know 100% of anything, let alone religious things. To think that anyone has all the answers to something, without any evidence proving that everyone else is 100% incorrect, is not only irrational, but crazy.

• No it is irrational

Men created religions, religions created gods and gods validated mythical tales. The example of three Abraham religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam which accepted the mythical tales of the Hebrews Bible as the word of God. The Bible is true because is the word God, believers said.

Science and Archaeological evidence had proved beyond rational doubt irrational and false the two version of Genesis, Adam, Eve and the snake, Noah's Flood, Abraham trip to the promises land, Egypt plague, Moses Exodus from Egypt with almost 2,000,000 men, women, children, elders ,40 years in the desert , the Golden Calf worship killings, trip to the promise land Canaan ,and Joshua conquest of Canaan. All are fictions and ONLY happened in the Bible.

Science and Archaeology evidence had proved the Bible started been written in the Kingdom of Judah, where the core of Deuteronomy was composed in the 7th century BC in the context of religious reforms advanced by King Josiah 641 to 609 BC after the North Kingdom of Israel, which the majority was polytheist and worship two golden calf, failed to the Neo-Assyrian Empire in 722 BCE. The Kingdom of Judea was trying to unified everyone on a monotheist religion.

The Kingdom of Judah, emerged in the 8th century and enjoyed a period of prosperity as a client-state of first Assyria and then Babylonia before a revolt against the Neo-Babylonian Empire led to its destruction in 586 BC. And the exile to Babylonia. It was in Babylonia where most of the Bible was written.

• No it is irrational

• It is absurd.

Human experience is totally logically constructed. There is no rational evidence of any religious "object" 's existence. Religion exists, because human experience is strictly limited. Beyond these limits anything is indifferently absurd. This absurdness religious people call "God", because they are afraid of death. That is why religion is irrational.

• Religion is inherently irrational

Religion is inherently irrational as it is most often faith-based and it goes against the rational thought to believe only with evidence. Many religions are also full of contradictions which are never addressed and occasionally are modernized without thought of context making for quotes and "live-by" phases which make no sense and are usually used to attack another religion or an idea to make it seem as though the initial religion is "against" the other religion or idea when no real "proof" exists of such a thing.