Is religion more about one's own ego than it is about God?

Asked by: missmedic
  • God's ideas are YOUR ideas.

I have never met a theist who disagrees with God on any issue. Try this yourself: find the nearest theist and ask what they think about any controversial issue: abortion, death penalty, homosexuality, whatever. Then ask them what God thinks about the same issues. I guarantee you that each person will say God agrees with him/her 100% of the time. Nobody ever says anything like "God thinks homosexuality is an abomination, but I'm okay with it," or "I think the death penalty is immoral even though God is in favor of it." Why is this? Either God is a real entity, and all these theists have worked to ensure that their views are perfectly in line with the views of God, or God is a fictional entity that reflects the views of each believer individually. There is enough disagreement among theists on these wedge issues to leave the first possibility completely out of the question. The simplest, most logical explanation for this phenomenon is that, because God is made up, people are free to project their own opinions onto a divine canvas and even use God to justify the beliefs for which there is no good reason.

• God and Ego is inseparable, but we don't see God, so we focus on ourselves.

If we read Descartes' argument, sooner or later we will notice the apparent relationship between Descartes' "Ego" and "God;" Ego and God is inseparable, for according to Descartes, Ego has to be derived from God. Bible and Quran presupposes the existence of God, but here's a catch; Quran argued that human's sole purpose is "to worship God." That shows that the concept of God is somehow DERIVED from the concept of our Egos; you need an Ego to worship God. I took that to mean that God and Ego is inseparable; Egos need to derive from God and vice versa; but since we can't do anything about God (as some might argued, it is not known for certain that there IS a God), religion focuses instead on our own selves.

• Yes, and it always has been.

Religion is about the self whereas faith is about the external. Very often, people get these two things mixed up and consider them one and the same. A religion is a group of people who gather together and declare that they believe the same things and that they want to be a community. Faith is standing up alone and saying that the individual has a set of beliefs and will adhere to them regardless of whether or not they have a community to agree with them.

• Yes, and it always has been.

• Religious people worship their egos.

The physical world tells us that we are nobodies, nothing. Expendable and insignificant. This is obviously at odds with the human ego. Religion says that you are special. A very important person. That God loves you more than most other people. This sits very well with the Ego and it eagerly embraces it.

• We see many people talking about true religion but , it is always their religion only...

Narcissism , my religion is correct and people even declare god as my God , as if God is a flat that a man owns. It is all about I! If the same person was brought up under a house that worships God in a different line this "I" will never fail in declaring My religion and My God....Just like a child who insists that what he says only is right....Goes on

• God is spelled EGO

Ego defined as a person's sense of self-esteem or self importance the part of the mind that mediates between conscious and unconscious and is responsible for reality treating and sense of personal Identity . EGO tells us I am special Ego gives us permission to put things into Categories "THEM VS ME " Ego gives us permission to say I am superior to other creatures on the Earth (SUPERIOR BEING ) It rationalizes Our Behaviors EGO gives us Permission to Torture Kill and degrade It gives us permission for Bigots and Racist It gives us Permission for slavery to beat or slather other creatures EGO gives us permission for War and hatred To Justify our righteousness and confirm Our sense of being Special We Create "GOD" who we say created us To be special (validates our belief) so then we have religion , back to the "them V's Us" or "ME V's Them" It gives me permission to say my religion is true yours is not I am the chosen people I am special To re validate that I am special I construct a belief system that God created me because I am special I will live forever creating the soul and through God I will live forever The Ego goes further and says not only am I special I am more special than other People and God Justifies that because what I do Is right (I am Superior and Special) some of you will go to heaven and some to Hell But the soul will live on (BECAUSE I AM SPECIAL) through my invented GOD What is the One thing that would defeat the EGO ? If you would cease to Exist

• No, religion is not more about one's own ego than it is about God.

While attending church and worshiping publicly may for some be about recognition and ego, religion at its most fundamental level is about righteousness and value as depicted by God, not about one's own ego. Most religious people, regardless of religion, adhere to rules and choose their value systems based on what is most important to them. Often times, these values have nothing to do with ego or their own opinion or self-worth, but what has been created for them by the setting the individual grew up in. God, no matter what religion, portrays what we are supposed to strive for, not what we have achieved. Reaching for perfection through religion, but knowing that you do not ever fully reach it, is not ego.

• No, Religion is a community at heart

While some religious folks have it in their head that they are better than everyone else, the basis of religion is goodwill, understanding and community. I think it originates from the original "why are we here" question and folks trying to come up with the answer for that. I guess you could say it depends on the religion though!