Is religion more harmful to a society than it is beneficial?

• Goes against modern science

Religious teachings go against modern science. It gives its followers a false view of homosexually or abortion. Society is changing and new medicine is found every day and people are day by day believing in more science based facts and not in their religious views. This makes people more accepting.

• Encourages pathological mental compartmentalization, leading to more, not less, robotic behavior, and therefore acts like sand in the gears of social progress among other things.

The opposite of mental compartmentalization is psychological integration. For obvious reasons, the latter is preferable. Because religion is founded on absurd and false premises, it causes individuals to compartmentalize that knowledge from what they also know to be statistical reality. Lack of differentiation of statistical reality does not in itself lead to maladaptive behavior, but it does increase automatic-like behavior. While automatic behavior is useful in a number of contexts, it is not valuable when it comes to scientific thinking, which is necessary now to keep our world in order and maintain progress. It boils down to a choice between a population that is more stagnant and one that is more dynamic, flexible and progressive. Religion, due to the fact that it makes people more robotic and less flexible leads to the former, not the latter. Not a good thing in today's complex and fast-changing world.

• What we need is true freedom

Freedom, means that each of us has the right to do as we please, believe in what we want, and live the way we want as long as your actions does not infringe upon the freedom of others. It is fine to believe in a religion, your choice. However, religion has nothing to do with freedom. In reality, religion is the opposite of freedom. When I see people using their God as an excuse to discriminate against others who do not believe the way they do, then these people are not freedom loving people. They are control freaks that try to force their ideology upon others. It is wrong!

• Belief in the Disproven

Something I never understood about most religions is how they can blindly place their faith in something that has absolutely no evidence of existing. And yet, the common defense that no one knows our origins, so he has a tangible possibility? We'll never find out. People supposedly only see their gods after they die. But how does anyone know what they look like, what they do, or if they're even real? The dead can't come back and tell us.

Science is slowly breaking new grounds that religion has no defense for, instead choosing to ignore what has been proven. Take any sexual act. Religion says that sex is sinful. It will make you burn in Hell for eternity. But... Doesn't sex make the body healthier? Isn't it a psychological need to have sex? Why are we punished for doing something that we need to survive? It bypasses all reality checks.

Ironically, so do many other bits of religion, even if it contains a large emphasis on morals. Slavery, possession of women, stoning criminals to death, all common occurrences in the Bible. Today, we scoff at the idea. Even they do. Or, do they? Under normal circumstances, you would never kill someone unprovoked. But what if you were told to kill someone, because the church had branded them a heretic? Would you do it then? A lot of people would change their minds, and kill said person. Now let's take a reality check. They had done nothing against you, but you killed them anyway. Religion bypasses reality checks that any sane person would do before taking action.

Sure, this is the Old Testament. Another common defense against these accusations. I remember a very particular verse saying that God's word persisting throughout time. Huh. Hard to defend that.

Finally, there has been evidence showing that nations without religion are actually more peaceful then ones with it. Whatever happened to "Thou shalt not kill?" Oh wait. Maybe without religion, we wouldn't have so many people committing heinous crimes "in the name of God."

• Religion Is Absolution, which is always bad.

Nothing is absolute in this world. There are only probables. To believe in absolution is dangerous on every level. Hitler, Pol Pot, ISIS and every other atrocity-laden regime believed they were divinely mandated. To believe one religion is absolute means anyone who doesn't believe is absolutely wrong. Which is every other religion. The greatest argument is that everyone is 99% atheist, in that they don't believe in the other 999 religions on the planet. Real atheists take it one step further.

• Through the past

It can causes people to act crazy and look at all the Muslims doing in the middle threre kill everyone, religion is a scathing thing and why can't we just show love to one another at all times, religion really makes no sense God loves us play and soccer yah

• Region uss the

• Region uss the

• It courses wars

It allways is causing wars all the time there is nothing benifical about it of there was no war there would be no opinion in religion it is people vs people who get there opioniomacross O o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

• A strong placebo

I think if religion works with religion it will not be harmful as our society will grow but religion provides protection a placebo if you will. Buddhism is a very beneficial one. However it also depends how extreme they will take their faith. If people kill over their religion it is not worth it but that is a minority of the world

• When you need help

Imagine you hit rock bottem and need a hand up whos gonna be there. The church. Im not gonna bicker over all the mistakes people make in the name of religion but the moral values religion tries to teach is enough it shouldnt be written off. Why are most hospitals named after saints? Probly because when no one else gives a damb the church still does and it also want u to die with dignity not like a dog.

• No, religion is a good thing in society.

Religion is so much associated around families and neighborhoods. It gives people a central focus to their common lives. Without religion it would be as if all families and neighbors were on their own. Having a church to go to is quite a bonding experience. It is good for young children to have a place in the community where they belong, and where they are taught how to be upright people in their community, and where their parents can get a sense of solidarity and support.

• Religion Is More Beneficial

I believe that religion is more beneficial than harmful in society. It sets moral standards for millions of people. Religion also creates a community of individuals that share common goals and values. Religion has also been shown to have great effects on mental health as well. People being able to confide and communicate with church members is definitely a positive.

• Not the religion itself.

I see my Christian faith as a creed of acceptance, justice, and kindness, based on the teachings of Jesus. He died for our sins, so we don't need to face punishment. I don't see anything totally wrong with any faith, be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Wicca, Jainism, Shintoism, Taoism, Confucianism, Sikhism, Hinduism, or atheism. Regardless of religion or lack of thereof, I automatically assume people are good, and what each believes is equally valid.

That said, religion is bad when corrupt people use it to gain power and subsequently exploit those of lesser power. The Spanish Inquisition, 9/11, ISIS... I can't turn a blind eye to irrefutable proof of religion being used as propaganda for hateful purposes. What's especially problematic is doing my best to maintain my stance as someone who is homosexual, believes in God, evolution, and fully acknowledges the universe's scientific history when so many people, from all sides, tell me I'm wrong, betraying them, siding with the enemy, etc. I know some friends who are bisexual, and they've been hurt by the church in some way. I try my best to say how Christianity isn't like that, but when I turn to argue with more traditional Christians why homosexuality and bisexuality aren't wrong and they refuse to acknowledge why it isn't, I end up looking like a fool to both people.

When my parents found out that I'm gay, they told me that God maybe wanted me to be this way. Maybe it was just a DNA glitch. Whatever the cause, they don't see me as any different, and as people who both came from Christian families, they made sure I knew that I'm perfect in God's eyes, not even despite being gay, but even because God made me this way.

It's all too heart-wrenching when I see my faith, or any faith, used as a front for unspeakable acts. Yes, I'm aware that the Bible and the Koran (I'm sorry, I don't know hot to spell it) condone, and even encourage, murder in many sections, if not most of the books. So, seeing that killing people is inarguably wrong (urgent self-defense is the only exception, and the goal should be serious injury, not death,) I choose to ignore it. The bible and the Koran were written by powerful men, not Gods, in a time that was socially, scientifically, technologically, and in every other way, horribly backwards. I don't even think about the Old Testament because it's absolutely inapplicable to society today.
    I believe that extramarital sex isn't to be encouraged, and I have a slight issue with abortion, but I love many people who support both.

So, while this may seem like a haphazard argument, which I apologize for, as I type this on an iPhone, sitting on a commode, I hope many will find this enlightening.

I'm not someone who's nice to everyone, but I believe that God loves you, and he expects you to treat other people with JUSTICE, and KINDNESS.

• Garen is good

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 8 7 6 5 5 5 43 4 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 52 5 14 14 515 32 5 34512 466
    6 6 462 54 25 5 235 235 2 5 25 23

• Garen is good

6 6 462 54 25 5 235 235 2 5 25 23

• It is good

Religion makes wars and kills lots and lots of people which is good and helps with overpopulation. I like it when many many people get killed for a good cause. This is a very good reason i believe. This could cause the end of mankind, which is very very good

• Not fully harmful

Religion has been harmful for scientific research and progress, but it has also bound people and given them reason to live. Reason has allowed people to maintain sanity, even if this sanity is in vain. In many cases, religion itself has also been a source for scientific knowledge and growth.

• Anarchy and Helping the Human Race

Without religon the common man would drop the morals they have and we would fall into anarchy. It is a lot more reasonable for people to think all that they do has an end and is not just something for them to do so they can get more things to keep them busy until they do more things again, pretty much religon helps people feel that life is not pointless and will help people overall aid the human race.