• I think it is necessary

First, from a religious point of view the answer is yes. Second, even if you are not religious, you have to see it is necessary. Religion inspires people to fight on and not to give up. Believing actually gives people hope, the courage and strength they need to confront the difficulties they face in life. Third, it also helps in keeping order in a society. The fact that people believe there is a great force watching them and judging them, or they will go to hell for acting badly (even though I don't believe in this last part) keeps a lot of them from immoral acts such as murders, prostitution ,promiscuous life (which can cause the spread of diseases and much more). So, religion is an important key in human survival.

• Evolution Supports This Theory

The need for most humans to have some sort of belief system in their life is apparent. Most people would not live optimally if they had no higher beliefs. Why would humans have evolved if their capacity to examine their spiritual side would be their downfall? Doesn't evolution better adapt us to the world we live in, not advance our minds to the point that they implode?

• There is no doubt in my mind

Those of you who say that there is no need to have religion anymore are seriously deluded. We have indeed come a long way with regards to science--but science cannot explain everything. Discontinuity, for example. Now, let me explain myself: Think about the clouds in the sky. If you look long enough, they will appear to be changing--discontinuity. To explain this, you can talk about wind tunnels and weather and the water cycle. To explain these things, you would talk about Earth's atmosphere. If you want to explain the atmosphere, you discuss how the Earth is a planet traveling around the Sun. But where did the Earth and the Sun come from? Nebula, where they were formed. Then where did the Nebula come from? Here's where you could mention the Big Bang theory--the beginning of the universe. But this is where science leaves us. This theory calls for a force that kick-started the universe, so to speak, and what better solution is there than the one sitting right in front of us: God. A being whose very definition is "to be."

"I am who I am."

If you say that God is merely an illusion conjured by primitive societies for the purpose of having somewhere larger to blame their troubles on, then all I have to say is this: If God is an illusion, and we have no more need for Him because we will, with time, be able to do everything with science, then He will pick up all His illusions--all of his trees, rocks, clay, dirt--and tell me--how will you create a grain of sand?

And for those of you who claim that religion, and I quote, has "largely been replaced by other things that perform the necessary tasks better." Please, tell me what some of these things are--I'm dying to know.

So, is religion necessary for our survival? I don't know--you tell me.

• Yes, I believe so.

I believe that one absolutely needs to believe in SOMETHING. And honestly, let's cut the crap of how religion is the root of all evil. There is evil in every nook and cranny of the world, but yet for some reason we just love to point out the problems of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

"Certainly, religion has been used to promote evil. But so have governments, family systems, and other institutions. But not very many people ever question the need for governments and families. Both, like religion, are also meant primarily to support humanity and to promote good in our societies.

I don’t think the “religion does bad things” argument, is the relevant argument. People do bad things, but we also do incredibly good things. We simply use the various institutions in our societies and cultures toward our desired ends." (http://blog.Chron.Com/keepthefaith/2010/03/why-we-need-religion/)

The fact of the matter is that without something, what are we even doing? If there is no end to look forward to, no heaven, no nirvana, no safe haven, why are we even living? What purpose would it serve to even move forward with society when in the end, it is all meaningless? With a religion you have a purpose, and in Christianity's case, you have a belief that there is a God who loved you and already has plans for your life. I don't know about you but I would much rather believe that there is a God with a purpose for my life than go on living a life that in the end will result in nothing. What ever I do will be for nothing and I will be forgotten.

I'll put it out here that I do believe that "religion" is man made. I believe in the bible.

• Religion is for people who have to self direction

If you were born with the "fear of god," you would think that it is necessary. If you were not born with the "fear of god," you are more likely to think more logically and not "spiritually." You are more likely to realize that religion and "gods" don't make any sense, making it not necessary for human survival. Religion doesn't make sense. Evolution does. I respect the idea of religion, how it gives people who have no self direction good morals and ethics. But there is other ways to accomplish that.

• No, absolutely not.

I am not religious. In fact, I'm not even a spiritual person. And despite this, the two values I hold the most dear are compassion and empathy. I've even gone as far as being a vegetarian to try and not cause needless suffering for my own self - indulgence. Meanwhile we look at some Christians who would wear a fur coat just because it looks good on them, or perhaps some Christians who would exploit someone's weakness or fear to try and force-feed them their beliefs. Or heck, how about Christian businessmen? Someone's belief in god does very little to change what kind of person they are. And by very little, I mean nothing. You'll always get bad religious nut jobs, and you'll always get bad atheists too. The only difference is who they put the blame on after they commit a horrible act.

If anything is necessary for human survival, it's compassion. If we only look for what's best for our selves, we'll only destroy each other. Not just compassion towards other humans, but for even the weakest of creatures. After all, if we treat weak animals like dirt, who are we to demand any respect from the powerful people who treat weak humans like dirt?

• No, it isn't Necessary

Of course it isn't. While I admit that it once played important social and psychological roles, those roles have largely been replaced by other things that perform the necessary tasks better. Also, while religion may have played a role in our past, it was never a necessary part of our survival.

• Religion is for people who have no self direction

If you are raised with the "fear of god" and have no self direction you think it is necessary. But if you were raised without the "fear of god" you are more likely to realize that religion doesn't make any sense and it is fictional. You think logically not "spiritually." Evolution makes sense, religion doesn't. So no religion is not necessary for human survival.

• Religion's main objective is to worship God, which is not as necessary to as to love human being. Humanism stands first, leave god-ism behind.

I totally disagree with the concept of being involved in religion which neither is perfect to human nor doing better for others who are not involved in that religion. Religion has always created difference among human which is of no good to be created. I really don't like the way, the people worship... The one who doesn't need anything like that worship

• Religion makes many wars

Look back at the crusades christens killing muslims and jews just because they have a different view on god. The Paegens were prosecuted for not believing in the so called "right god". The mulsum extremist kill anyone who does not believe in Allah or force people into their ranks. So not only does religion divide us it kills many more than it saves and where are those so called miracles that are performed and where is the proof besides the bible Quaran or Torah where else?

• Religion makes no sense

There is no reason for us to even have religion anymore we are to technologically advanced for us to believe in that the beings live in clouds and judge us every day of our lives. All religions besides christianity were representing mother earth which if you believe in a god it should be her. Gods use to represent the sun and the survival of humble people who knew nothing. Know in this day and age we should focus more of our energy instead of going to church to research and actually think for ourselves. Religion is not needed for our on going survival there is no after life there is just darkness so live your life's now and pray to god on your death bed.

• Quite the opposite in fact

All religions look forward the apocalypse and there is surely nothing more inviting to a fundamentalist than aiding a self-fulfilling prophecy. I would say that not only is religion unnecessary it is the instigator for the end of days and would revel in the destruction of our planet.
    It’s either religion or the world – can’t have both I am afraid.

ThierryAyi says2013-08-12T17:03:57.527
I posted my opinion but it didn't appear, why ?
AnonyFeline says2013-08-15T08:18:21.537
It was necessary in the past to promote social order and preserve knowledge. It may be shifted to a more spiritual practice in the future, if it still exists then. At present, we are in a state of transition from over-reliance on the mysticism and mythology of religion, to a more objective and enlightened application of the principles taught by religion.

It WAS very necessary then. It is still may be necessary in some parts of the world as a means by which to teach moral ethical truths to the people, but it is unclear with the vast diaspora of demographics.