• Yes, but religion and believing in God are not the same.

Organized religion seeks to control people because without people the church will disappear. It's self preservation. If you read the New Testament, you won't see organized religion like you see today in the Catholic church and other churches/religions. You can believe in God and not be manipulated by organized religion.

• Yes it is!

Religion has always been a way of uniting people and making them work together. Throughout history, we see different leaders supporting and enforcing religion on others as a way to control them and keep them under their rule. Even now, religion is a way of controlling people, even if it is a different type of religion than we are used to.

• YES

I think religeon is the perfect way to have a hold on another person. I mean doesnt it sound thrilling to do everything CORRECT in life or atleast correct in (the Bible) anduget to go to this magnificent place with Jesus and Moses and all the people you lost over the years and u never age or feel pain or hate towards anyway1.. oh and not to mention This lasts FOREVER. But if you dont do (correct in the bible) you go to this horible place where theres scary things and pain and torture and by the way that never end either so better do good by the big book???? that is enevidble to my understandings i litterally believe that the bible is as good as the government. MAN WROTE THE BIBLE NOT GOD

• Yes, because even terrorism is powered by religion.

Religion has extended its hold over people for centuries. Fear is the greatest power known to man, and fear is what religion is based on. It is the perfect means of control. Fear of the unknown is omnipresent in an industry that has quietly been controlling those who are susceptible, and that control increases commensurately with the level of fear in society.

Posted by: EweIICist
  • Religion is evil.

Because they say if you do bad in this life you go to jail for the rest of your life not bad. But scarying people into beliving in eternal pain and suffering is a good way to make people act good.

• The best way? maybe?

Threatening a person is probably the best way to control them. Then again, a person is threatened by their religion because if they do something that god doesn't like, they go to hell. So actually, probably yeah. Because if a person actually believes this will happen, then they're likely to try not to do anything bad.

• Yes, I believe in God, not religion.

All churches use their power to control people. They drill their doctrine into you on a continuous basis. Most of their laws are man made. I was brought up Catholic and I will remain Catholic till I die, but I don't agree with a lot of the rhetoric. Priests should be allowed to marry and have children. And as for Nuns being married to God, that's ridiculous! They should be allowed to marry also. Maybe we wouldn't have so many disgraceful sexual atrocities. I stopped going to church many years ago when a police friend of mine had to arrest the priest where I attended church for sexual misconduct! You would never know to look at him! I pray all the time and try to keep all the commandments but I am so disappointed.

• Absolutely best way to control the masses into manipulation!

What better way to hide your greed and lust for money than behind the word of God. Every Sunday you are asked to donate money into a basket. Agreed that money goes to "common good", but how many times do you have to hear about corruption in the church to finally take a notice that there could be plenty of times where your money is being donated to the preacher himself. You never ask questions about where your money is going, you just give some cash away to get that basket out of your face and avoid embarrassment for not doing so. Religion is the source of most problems, simply stated.

• Religion has always been used by authorities to control people.

The state has always used religion as a tool to enforce laws and make people obedient. Any human who follows a religion will follow decrees by religious leaders more readily than that of state authorities. This is a reason why religion and politics are closely associated especially in poorer societies. It is a very common feature especially in South Asia where I stay.

• Hell yes

of course religion is the best way to control people have you seen how devoted some of those religous nuts are? stupid people will always belive stuid things and this thing has been going for so long people dont event think its stupid anymore, i take my hat off to you jesus, a very smart man who invented the most effective method of control ever by spreading a few simple lies

• Religion is not the answer to controlling people, because controlled religion can lead to radicals who use religion as an excuse to kill.

Religion is not the answer to controlling people. We all have different beliefs and it is impossible to control a society with religion when it is so diverse. I believe this leads to radicals who believe if one is not controlled by religion, then this radical had the right to retaliate.

Posted by: FadedKevin93
  • Because religion is a personal choice, I do not believe it is the best way to control people.

While religion does offer moral guidance, in most countries, it is kept separate of the government and law and, thus, it is not a good way to control the general population, especially since fewer and fewer people adhere to any religion at all.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • Religion is not the best way to control people; there are other, more efficient methods.

In the past, religion was utilized by rulers to keep the population under control. Religion is no longer the best option for controlling people. There are now so many different denominations and versions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism that it is now impossible to maintain control of a given population. The best method available for control and order in society are laws, rules and regulations established by city, state and national governments. Enforcement of these laws by public officers and judges forces the majority of the population to behave in a manner beneficial to all. The potential threat of fines, probation or imprisonment are motivation to follow all laws, rules and regulations.

Posted by: PsychoticAli71
  • Debatable in my opinion, but no for now

While I do believe that religion isn't the best option for control right now, I believe that it was in the past, and could become a good means in the future. I believe that this has changed because of the scope of the destruction that one person can now cause. While in the past, even the worst religious fanatics couldn't massively affect the entirety of the world as a whole. They could destroy things as large as a country, but that was the limit at the time. Now, however, there are far to many means of inducing mass chaos and death on the scale of millions just because on person believes that "All the non-believers should be cleansed!". There are just to many unstable variables for religion to remain a safe means of retaining control over people. Even in the past, horrific atrocities were committed in the name of "Punishing infidels!" and "Righteousness!". Now, there are far to many religious sects for them to coexist safely. While in the past, one or two religions may have existed in any given country, now there are tens, even hundreds of religions and different sects of religions in a country, more often then not butting heads with each other over their beliefs. These arguments can lead to riots, acts of terrorism, etc. I'm not saying that religion is the sole perpetrator of these acts, there are obviously numerous other causes, but religion does instigate quite a number of them. All told, while I believe that religion still has much potential for the future, and we should by no means abandon it, I believe that for the time being it should become a minor factor in our lives at best, lest it get even further out of hand.

• "Religion," if maintained correctly, develops free will and anti-addictive behaviors and patterns of life (usually self-imposed or imposed by social/cultural forces) that influence our thinking.

There are three critical components to consider in this debate:

The first: Can we speak about "religion" in the abstract? Every religion has its own peculiar cosmology, ethical systems, nature and extent of dogmas, history and traditions (important), and leadership and congregational structures. A religion is nearly as unique as a human being, and what is necessary to take as "faith" in a given religion differs among all religions. I am appalled by the lack of critical thinking opponents exhibit when they talk in such extremes as "all religions," "always find this," etc. The real, anthropological and theological picture is much more complicated and is not easy to deal with.

Second, when are humans _not_ controlled? If people are exposed to societal norms and act on those norms, are they just as controlled? If I see an advertisement for a nice cologne and then go out and buy it and feel great like the ad wanted me to, is that my fault or should we point fingers at the cologne company's marketing schemes to control my behavior and believe things about the world? In this sense, we need to clarify in this debate whether humans are ever really free to make decisions for themselves, as their natural impulses may very well be implanted by alien forces ("society," peers, the education system, advertisements, popular culture, misguided personal belief, etc.) that don't have the individual in their best interest.

Third, why is "control" necessarily a bad thing (if executed correctly?). The history of the Western world is increasingly one based on a utilitarian ethics that emphasizes liberty as the highest force ordering society. Can't liberty be self-destructive? Our sense of responsibility towards others has, in a way, deteriorated from giving them ideals to freely aspire to and merely staying out of there business. Constraining an individual's ability to choose and think freely is the ultimate sin nowadays, even if it means, in a paradoxical way, ignoring his or her capacity to become more autonomous.

Now, finally, a proper religion provides moral codes so to develop a person's free will so that they choose what's better _for themselves_. A proper religion must do this by letting the individual to chose to stay in that faith or not. What happens is, moral codes present us the _option_ of good vs. Bad. The moral code develops my free will because it reminds me I have a choice and that I may not be aware of all the consequences that are not overtly resulting from my single choice here, but may be determining my life if I live without questioning the morality of each of my decisions. Religion gives us discipline, restriction so that we may become more free.

We must always judge by the fruits of a given religion--and until you've analyzed every single manifestation of a religious movement or tradition in all detail possible, you can't speak in generalizations. Maybe you can speak in averages, but exceptions thrive beyond the scope of those averages.

• NO

Religion is not the best way to control people. People can leave a religion if they want to. Holding someone at gunpoint is a more effective means to force them. It is easier to leave a religion that willing accept death by not doing something. You can also torture someone into doing or saying something.