• Nothing but garbage music and no-talent stars

Let's face it. The music that is out there today takes no talent to produce. Anyone can make a keyboard and a computer produce any sound they want without actually having to play and instrument. Add singers on top of it who can't sing a single note in tune unless processed by auto-tune. And what do you get? Garbage.....Garbage in=garbage out.

• No more rock

Rock has been around for a while and now pop has come and took it over. I like pop, rock, and country, but rock is out of the pic. Hopefully someone decide to come and fix the dead music. Rock is important to some and it's dead, next will be country.

• Rock is dying a slow death commercially.

I think rock will continue to influence future music and elements of it will live on, but the days of true rock acts dominating the charts are gone. We've moved on to an era of pop, country and hip hop. Music has become a mass produced commodity that is focused on a carefully crafted formula of image and marketing versus artistry. This is not to say all the current popular artists lack musical talent or creativity, but their music is definitely more slickly produced, standardized, and productized.

It's difficult to believe a thoughtful, conceptual band like Pink Floyd could become as wildly popular today. Their songs are too long and strangely structured. The subject matter is odd. It just doesn't fit with the neatly packaged product people now expect. What about a slightly more modern rock band like U2? They’re more poppy and radio friendly, but I still don’t hear anyone making rock music like that anymore either. It seems the number of “big” rock acts slowly dwindles year after year as they get older and older an no one takes their place. I guess now we’re down to the Foo Fighters, the White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys… there aren’t many to count at this point. Some popular acts incorporate rock elements (Florence + The Machine comes to mind), but they’re not truly rock. Also, none of these bands are on nearly the same level as Kanye West or Taylor Swift in terms of fame or record sales.

I agree with a previous post that rock is not dead, but it's not a mainstream genre anymore. It's gradually moving to the less commercially viable realm of blues and jazz. The days of a kid heading down the music shop, buying an electric guitar, and dreaming of making millions as a rock star are gone.

• Rock is Slowly Dying

Rock is dying, you cannot deny that. I can see it everywhere. Out of 10 of my friends, 4 listen to rock but only 2 don't listen to rap or pop. This is small compared to 3 years ago where that number was 7 and 4 out of 10.

My one friend went from listening to Three Days Grace, Foo Fighters, Megadeth and Iron Maden to Maroon 5, that's when I saw the first sign of the disease. About 1 month later he was listening to rap and pop and says "rock is complete garbage".

At my school, at least 90% of kids listen to rap or pop to some extent, while the others listen to EDM or Dubstep.

On the Radio, on variety stations, rock is NEVER played and if it is, it's pop rock or something I'd never consider rock. Everything is about the poppy sound and the unfortunate mind controlling rhythms that make people end up listening to rap then thinking they're cool and going out and smoking weed.

Rock is going to be as popular as classical music in about 10 to 15 years. Watch all the rock, country, blues, everything will get a horrible poppy sound so bands don't die off and go broke. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the end, of rock and roll.

RIP Rock, Metal, etc.
    1960's to 2020's

• People nowadays only find meaningless Pop and Hip hop as "popular"

I can't imagine how this music industry has become. I have never seen any popular rock album that is good. Even alt rock has almost died out. I never see Green day, Linkin Park or Metallica as popular as they were back then nowadays. Pop is mericfully crushing rock's soul crumb by crumb. And pop is already a dead genre long ago ever since Micheal Jackson died. I mean come on! Justin Bieber? Iggy Azalea? Taylor Swift?
    Katy Perry? ARE YOU GODDAMN SERIOUS????!!!! Are these the ONLY popular artists today? I love Coldplay so much (and I still do) but with how they're latest album (a head for a dreams) is going, coldplay is not as good as before and I want them back! The only great artists we have now is Kendrick Lamar and maybe, maaaaybe Drake. So guys, our only option is to stop listening to this kind of music so that it doesn't become popular anymore and so that we can all pray for the good ol' days of music when Micheal Jackson lived, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin and U2 were on the scene. I hope this argument helped you to think a little. Thank you for you're time to read this.

• Only few rock bands left.

There are only a few rock bands nowadays with a big fan base. Bands such as the 1975, catfish and the bottleneck,royal blood and the arctic monkeys are the only popular rock bands out there at this moment in time. Rock is dead but they can adapt with the times and keep with the youth

• Rock is dead

Pop music is everywhere. Many fortune 500 companies, in recent years, have been using pop in their ads.....Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Adele..... Just to name a few..... And thanks to the ability that anyone can choose what they want to hear through mp3, phone, computer, etc...... With rock virtually getting no attention, new rock band are not being heard...... The generation of rockers is aging, and the music is fading......I am part of that aging generation...... Every generation has a claim to different genres.....The 1920's - 40's was known for big band and jazz.... The 50's was intro to rock and sock hops...... The 60's was Beach party and psychedelic .....The 70's was Arena rock and disco......The 80's was Big hair (pop rock) and new wave....The 90's was Grunge and Alternative...... The 2000's was Alternative and Pop.....The 10's had bn virtually all pop and electro......The 1980's went through a similar trend, which led into a 90's revolt and onslaught of angry grunge music...... Eventually, history will repeat, and another form of rock will arrive......

• Rock is on life support

Rock has been the dominant music genre in America for over 50 years. I think since the 2000s Rock has been in decline while Pop/Rap have been becoming popular. Now in the 2010s, our culture is dominated by pop and rap which most of music that is in it is not that great to be honest. Now there are a few bands out there like Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, etc. that have became popular Rock bands in the 2010s, but they have not made much of an impact as pop and rap artists like Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus etc.

I'm afraid if this rate keeps going our culture will lose our cultural literacy on music because Rock music transformed this country especially during the 60s and 70s. Now music is becoming more like garbage with no passion nor meaning in the music. Rap promotes sex, gang violence, and drugs. Pop used to be awesome, but now it is just an terrible genre with artists like Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, and countless others giving pop a bad name. God save what ever is left of rock music!

• Yes it is

The machines are amazing, but what they create is binary code replicating music. And because they are amazing, most give them a pass for slipping that replication past us and calling it music. The only real music now is live music where human beings are playing musical instruments, which is an increasingly rare situation.

• It's just not what it used to be

There are still plenty of great out there... Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, Audioslave, Green Day, The Black Keys, Foo Fighters... Rock is not dead, it has just taken a new form. Most bands now will never sound like the bands in the 70's or 80's, they have found new sounds (Punk rock, soft rock, alternative, country rock, etc.) Nor will they be as popular. But music goes through cycles, "rock" will eventually peak again.

• Rock music is very much alive.

Rock music is very much alive, not just within the middle aged but also in younger generations through the mediam of other sub genres like indie rock. Under ground genres of music are based off of (mostly) rock and roll music, like hardcore punk and grunge (modern grunge). You could argue as well that forms of modern pop culture are based off of ideas associated and constructed by rock music, allot of pop signers lyrics are made by people who are (or have been a part of) the rock culture.

• Music never dies

No one genre of music ever dies. It just becomes more or less popular then the next genre. Take swing music for instance, it supposedly "died" but in reality it just was replaced by a more popular music and more artists played that genre but some other artists even though it was few still managed to play swing music for their enjoyment.

• I hope not

There are still loads of really good rock artists incorporating elements of electronic etc and there has been ever since the late sixties. Rock is not dead and never will be. Rock is not as big as it once was commercially in the singles chart but if you look at the album chart over 60% of the albums are alternative or rock. The Arctic Monkeys received major success with "AM" and David Bowie did also with "The Next Day". There will always be rock and in the hearts of the faithful, it will never die. Rock on friends!!

• No, it isn't.

It'll never die as long as there's someone out there putting their heart and soul into their instrument. That's something you can't do on an imac, that's something you can't fake. You can't fake sincerity, and that's something that at the end of the day means more to people than what is out there.

• Rock ain't never gonna die

Rock is always changing, always progressing. There are tons of bands out there still rockin' out. As long as there are bands that does Rock n Roll, Rock will never die. Even if some say that modern rock sucks, there will always be the old rock n roll, the AWESOME ones. Even if rock dies, it will always live on in the passion of the rockers

• Rock will never die

And do you know why? Because bands are still wanting to play it. People are still wanting to hear it. The problem rock and other genres like it are facing is the mass media- they advertise mindless pop or pop rock music and other genres are relying on people to shop around for music.

There is still a hope for good music yet- don't rely on the radio to give you real music because they won't! You guys need to look about yourselves! Go on, get on youtube or spotify or last.Fm- the artists are wating :)

• Can't die - impossible

As long as people play the bass, guitar, drums and have vocal chords- rock will always live, young people will always play instruments. I hate to correct everyone but "indie/alternative" is under the rock umbrella of genres. Duh. :-) I don't think Berklee is going to close te doors anytime soon.

• No way man

There's a lot of good Rock 'n' Roll music these days. Tame Impala is making some good music. The Fleet Foxes are good. There's also The Black Keys and, Meldoy's Echo Chamber. The Internet has allowed for a lot of good bands to attracked an audience, they're harder to find now but, There's still a lot of good bands out their.

• Ignorance. Ignorance everywhere.

Rock music is rooted in the spirit of youthful rebellion, which will never die. There are dozens of supremely talented rock bands out there, like Band of Skulls or the Bright Light Social Hour or Tame Impala, amongst others. You just have to know where to look. Also, the most popular counterpoint seems to be that rock music isn't topping the charts, which is just a dull and irrelevant thing to say. Commercial sales are far far more the product of major record label marketing than artistic quality. Rock music isn't dead or dying. It's just sleeping. This is the most important time in the history of the genre, because it has plateaued, and in order to continue rising it must evolve. It will be interesting to see when and how that happens.