• Is Romeo and Juliet outdated or still relevant today?

Is Romeo and Juliet outdated or still relevant today?

I personally believe it is out dated because it happened so long ago. It is just a sappy love story about 2 teens who kill themselves because they 'love each other' so much.
    We need to be teaching kids more modern stuff.

• No... Just stop

I am a ninth grader reading this story, and if you think that this book is not outdated, then you probably havenʻt been in school for a while. This book doesnʻt show love against all odds. They never tested those boundaries, and Juliet would be too scared to do so. Common sense speaking, if the future family heads fall in love with each other, then why would they be killed by their own family. Sir capulet could never kill Juliet, his last daughter, and Romeoʻs mom could never handle his death (she dies in the end with Romeo). Itʻs also politically better for everyone. Ends the feud, keeps the town peaceful (getting the support of the PRINCE who overpowers both families), and they both will share eachotherʻs land (MORE LAND!!!). Also, there is no love in this story. Romeo shows many signs of depression (read the book, please), and Juliet is a character that isnʻt very devoted to Romeo at times, but also overly-obsessed with him, even with warnings from the Nurse and Friar. Now, these are not good examples of love and it also gets them killed for no apparent reason, as stated above. So how is all of this a good relevance? Do you really want this in the minds of people my age? And you wonder why people are committing suicide and are overly depressed these days

• No... Just stop

I am a ninth grader reading this story, and if you think that this book is not outdated, then you probably havenʻt been in school for a while. This book doesnʻt show love against all odds. They never tested those boundaries, and Juliet would be too scared to do so. Common sense speaking, if the future family heads fall in love with each other, then why would they be killed by their own family. Sir capulet could never kill Juliet, his last daughter, and Romeoʻs mom could never handle his death (she dies in the end with Romeo). Itʻs also politically better for everyone. Ends the feud, keeps the town peaceful (getting the support of the PRINCE who overpowers both families), and they both will share eachotherʻs land (MORE LAND!!!). Also, there is no love in this story. Romeo shows many signs of depression (read the book, please), and Juliet is a character that isnʻt very devoted to Romeo at times, but also overly-obsessed with him, even with warnings from the Nurse and Friar. Now, these are not good examples of love and it also gets them killed for no apparent reason, as stated above.

• No... Just stop

• No... Just no

Please stop. Whoever says yes obviously hasnʻt been in school for a while, or has been taught that Romeo and Juliet are in love with each other because of their "love against all odds" mentality. In reality, they never knew the odds because they never ventured out to tell their parents about it. In reality, it wwouldʻve been a plus for both families because itʻs like multiplying both familiesʻ influences throughout Verona. I was looking through some of the answers to this question, and I came across one that said "Society still labels and groups and hates based on said categories. Teens ultimately decide enough is enough and run away, which happens all the time today." Maybe? I think that statement creates your own grave. Last time I checked(last night while reading the book), it talks more about Romeo being OVERLY suicidal (read the book please) and Juliet being somewhat undevoted to Romeo and their endeavors. SO THAT MEANS that if it happens all the time today, that itʻs because of this book? It puts the idea in our minds, so thatʻs why we do it? Schools are not supporters of suicide, yet they have a book about it that is required for us to read in our school years? This isnʻt a good example of love, and it's DEFINITELY not good if it can relate to our daily lives, so stop. Itʻs already humiliating that you think that all of us do this. That is worse than racism/sexism, saying that teens run away from things and that weʻre suicidal. Get a reality check if you think this book isnʻt outdated, and donʻt talk down to your future generation like that. Speak life, and you will get life form us.

• No... Just no

• Its really bad

I really don't like it. I really don't like it. I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.I really don't like it. I really don't like it.

• Wicked hella pissa yall

Reasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mindreasons that escape my mind

• Yes it is a classic but,

Although this masterpiece is a classic, it is outdated, there is plenty more books that are new that go over the same topics. Furthermore as a student who just finished this unit in class, i had a hard time finding a meaning to why we were searching the meanings of the words itself for a theme that is right out in the obvious and yet students still have to search the book for things that dont matter, in fact, while studying this in class, we didnt go over a meaning to this book, we simply just read the book, did a quick project on it and went on to start our final

• The storyline is irrelevant in today's life

Romeo and Juliet is totally outdated, because the theme of the storyline is completely irrelevant in life today and the language has been spoken since the late 1500's to the early 1600's at least. This them isn't teaching the students correctly anyways, because it is just another love story which they obviously do not need. It's just completely irrelevant now. I think it's time to move on to something more modern. Something that we don't need a whole other book to translate what it's even saying.

• It is not Out dated.

Romeo and Juliet teach us today that we need to fallow our heart's no matter what our family thinks. Who our family thinks we should/ should not marry may not always be who we want and society will be better off with us chosing our mates vs. Our parents doing so.

• Shakespeare is timeless.

The reason he is arguably the best playwright in the English speaking world is that virtually all his stories and characters reveal something fundamental about the human condition. The setting hardly matters -- see, for instance Baz Luhrman's R+J, which set it in California: it is essentially the same story.

• How is it not relevant?

Teens still have powerful emotions.
    Parents still force their views on their children, which causes rebellion and/or conflict.
    Society still labels and groups and hates based on said categories.
    Teens ultimately decide enough is enough and run away, which happens all the time today.

What is outdated about any of this?

• It is about more than 'true love'

I think that we can all agree that Romeo and Juliet were NOT in love. They were two teenagers overcome with passion, and raised in a society and situation that meant they could not experiment. Under those pressures, and under enforcement of a ridiculous family feud, there will always be rebellion. Romeo and Juliet teach us that family feuds and pointless hate tears people apart, and that it doesn't make any sense. Do you know how many people died as a result of rash decisions and misguided knowledge? Too many! They teach us that teenagers should not be left unguided or have parent's opinions pushed on them. Even though Lord and Lady Capulet and Lord and Lady Montague all meant the best, they destroyed their childrens' futures. Romeo and Juliet is totally relevant.

• It is relevant

Instead of focusing on the point of "a story about true love" think about the main factors like the family feuds, they still occur in the modern days. As well as this child marriage etc. does occur, in poorer, LEDC countries. Just because it was made a long time ago does not mean it cannot teach students anything.

• It may not be relevant in the sense that lifestyle has changed, but the themes are as relevant as ever.

Yes, times have changed since way back when Romeo and Juliet was written. But thats not what this question really means. Sure, we don't have the same social systems, politics, and ways of life, but the underlying messages and morals are still more than relevant today. For example, forbidden love will ALWAYS be prevalent: years ago it was interracial couples, today arguably same sex couples, and most of all simply when two people fall in love when their parents disagree with the pairing. Issues like these fall back on Romeo and Juliet; two forbidden lovers who love each other more than others can hate their relationship, and it sends that message to everyone today.

• It's not some fairytale story about true love, it's a drama that shows real problems in extreme

Those who believe that Romeo and Juliet is a story about true love and how it can overcome everything is wrong. It's not a sappy fairy tale that nobody needs to know about any more.

The young leads are not truly in love, they are victims of their youth in terms of passion, idealism and sexuality.

It shows both, how even very young people can see what is hidden to adults: that some fights have no reason and no future, but also, how teenagers can easily harm themselves and make the wrong decisions when they are left alone and/ or not respected.

This collision of intelligence, intuition and psychological imbalance is something that is as important as it was at the time it was written. While in the past people struggled to see the potential and ability of young people to think and act independently, it now outlines for parents and teenagers that they can easily get lost in their own passion and need help, support and supervision even when they are following their own way.

All this is far from outdated.

But even if the topic would be old fashioned and would not hold modern values, we would still be able to teach Romeo and Juliet as an example for great theatre language and drama.
    It has history and quality and this makes it worth preserving and teaching. Considering the mass amount of popular yet poor literature such as "50 Shades of Grey" or "Twilight" we need to preserve classics such as this story that has not only a spot in art history but also in our language and culture development: Romeo and Juliet are not only protagonists, they are now metaphors and symbols.

Well_You_See says2014-08-06T15:00:24.813
What exactly is meant by outdated? Romeo and Juliet is arguably Shakespeare's most famous work. When people study Romeo and Juliet, they aren't necessarily studying for because it's Romeo and Juliet, they're studying it because it is an introduction to Shakespeare. By outdated, do you mean that the story of forbidden love is outdated? Because then I call BS. There are many stories of forbidden love ranging throughout the ages. How long ago something was written is not what defines it as outdated, it's the ideas itself that define it. The concept of forbidden love and feeling oppressed because you can't express your love is an idea that permeates even today's society. The puzzle of what is meant by outdated is the issue here, and I can argue about it further if it is clarified