Is school even about learning anymore (yes) or is it just about grades (no)?

Asked by: hans215
  • School isn't about learning anymore

School isn't about learning anymore, its about passing. Its not what school used to be like , i feel like high school has so much stress in it and students aren't able to learn the way they want to learn or should learn. I see all of these high school students that are so worried they wont pass, many of the those people are sleep deprived or depressed, which does not help there ability to learn. I could go on and on about this topic

• It's all a competition for students.

These days if you take a test and get your grade back. Students like me treat is as a competition. First they will ask "Oh what grade did you get?", then you reply with the grade you got and after that they will just shove it in your face on how they got a higher grade than you. Anyway, grades don't reflect what students are like in the classroom. For example, a hard-working student who gets top marks and tries their best at everything might get a bad grade in a test because they don't do as well under pressure and in a time limit.

• Yes, in the name of improvement

Sadly, I have to say that I believe this is true. It is my personal opinion only, but I believe the growing emphasis on standardized tests is contributing to this trend. I routinely see teachers leaving the profession because they feel they can no longer teach the way they need to. I believe this strategy places an unhealthy focus on preparing for the test rather than on a full understanding of the subject matter. I don't mean to imply that all standardized testing is bad; it's a matter of focus and over-emphasis.

• They're all after reputation

All schools want now is a good reputation, so they can receive more potential students which also leads to a higher chance of receiving more money from the government (I'm referring to English schools when I say this).
    The children that want to get "good jobs" or "dream jobs" only strive to get good grades so they can get into top universities, which also inadvertently makes their school look good in the process. Learning comes as a by-product of that.

• Good Grades is what they want

If someone wants to learn they can go to a library. To attend school only gives one credentials such as High School Diploma or a Bachelor's degree. Learning has been and always will be free(we learn everyday) whether schools choose to promote it or not. Schools are more focused good grades in today's time.

• Good grades, credentials

People want credentials so they can get the job they want. This applies even in college. I'm finishing up my first degree but realizing I really want to enter a different field. So I'm going to study on my own time, and build myself up so that I can easily 4 point everything when I go back to college and get the career I want. It's always better to study before you take classes. That way you know everything and can get the best grades.

• Whats more important, passing or learning?

I feel like most kids are so worried about getting a good grade but aren't as worried about if they're actually learning the material for the long run. From experience I have done anything to get a passing grade and didn't worry about if I would even remember any of the material in a coupleof weeks.

• There is no such thing as standard.

Children are square pegs that the government has just been constantly trying to jam into round holes. A student may have done well in school with their standardized tests but, school never teaches them the necessary things they will need to know in life. They learn how to take tests. They're told to be themselves and be unique but, are TAUGHT to be "standard".

• There is no such thing as standard.

• There is no such thing as standard.

• School is about grades

If you show your parents your grades when they are horrible, they will kill you. You have to score perfect on tests and stuff or your teachers and parents will get pissed off at you. You have to do good in school or else you can't get a job. You need good grades to do good in life, to get a job and some reason, people wanna always test you on your knowledge and if you can't do that as an adult, no one will like you.

Wonton15 says2014-01-10T05:20:39.350
Why is this an only "yes or no" option? Yes or No to what?
2Sense says2014-01-10T05:36:57.907
Good point, Wonton...