• School is important

Without school I would not be able to debate this topic through typing nor would anyone else. Either because we wouldn't now how to spell ,or use proper grammar and we wouldn't have punctuation either. Witch would make all of the comments on this topic nonexistent and that is why i think school is important.

• Its very important

Helps you not to be a bad person, helps you with getting a job, a education. It will make good choices and know right from wrong. Helps with skills, exposure, and your behavior. It even helps you with sports, art, music, acting, and also helps you fix computers and other technology.

• Yes school is very important.

Sure it's really not that exciting, but really it's necessary. And I'm not even talking about math or science; but also art and music. School doesn't just teach you algebra and geography. And really if you want to become something useful in life like a doctor, you'll need several YEARS of schooling.

• Yes to quite an extent

Most of us agree that education isn’t just a necessity; it should be one of the building blocks of life needed to grow up and therefore achieve a well-rounded knowledge.
    It teaches more than the basics for life, so it is more easier to learn equality and social skills in life than to also achieve goals in life, and to have a happy and stable’ life than an uneducated individual. Education is also very important if you want to be a self-dependent individual. It not only helps you become financially independent but also makes you wiser so that you can make your own decisions.
    The knowledge learned in school plays a major role in peoples’ daily lives. Knowledge about history improves cultural understanding, and basic maths skills help people keep their finances in order and English courses teach students how to read, understand and analyse written material, which is a crucial skill for nearly all modern jobs of today.

• Yes, but it could be better.

School obviously is important, but it should be based on what the child wishes to learn about, instead of someone else saying what you have to do. What I am talking about, is democratic education. Democratic education is not only a better alternative to the current system we have, but the student is engaged with their work and what they wish to learn about. Examples of it in practice is Summerhill School in Suffolk in England.

• Up To A Certain Point

There comes a time where further education is not necessary and instead becomes an economic and social burden. Some students excel in artistic jobs that need no further nurturing by betters and instead best results form one's own freedom; there would be no use for them to carry on to say, sixth form and do other subjects that will have no effect on their future. Also it frees up the resources for those who use them to their full potential. There's no point giving a sculptor lessons on how to dissect animals as it is hardly coherent to their field of interest. However, the basics need to be taught as withy the basics you have no foundation to build upon and in this regard schools are absolutely essential.

• Of course it is

I believe the bill gates steve jobs argument is full of holes. Yes their may be a number of people (a small number i might add) that had success without going to school. But im willing to bet those kids had an intellectual upbringing of some sort. Also bill gates did go to school and it was their that he first had experience with a computer. And I dunno much about steve jobs but i do know he got a lucky break working for hewitt-packard. Being successful comes down to luck/opportunity, social skills, and at least some knowledge. The latter two both being something that one can get in school. Education is key. When it comes to just about every aspect of life, having knowledge helps

• They were lucky

School teaches people how to not only learn how to do your job in the future but also social skills when they are still young. The people that are successful without school were just lucky in a little 1 in a million chance. I'd rather not take those odds and stick with a smarter game plan.

• More and more so in today's society.

We live in an increasingly technical and specified society, where the job market no longer allows for unskilled, uneducated laborers to do well. The number one determinant of whether or not a person lives below the poverty line is EDUCATION. Those without a high school diploma are statistically most likely to be extremely poor and/or unemployed. Those with a high school diploma only are statistically most likely to be poor and/or employed in menial, low-paying jobs. Those with college degrees make 40% more over their lifetimes than those without, and have much lower levels of poverty.
    To suggest school isn't important today is just plain ignorant.

• A TALENT is born but a GENIUS is made.

First of all not everyone is born like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs .Every common man creates his own destiny which requires knowledge, indeed imparted by schools. Also not only does school provide knowledge but also the skills, exposure and aptitude necessary for any kind of job or even professional interviews.

• No, it's really not

What's important is not education, what's important is to have a good eye for business. That's what got Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to the top. If school was really important, they wouldn't have even done anything in life. And their stories are not unique. There are lots of people in the world who have succeeded without a college degree or even a high school diploma.

• Education is important

But there are many other ways to get an education without attending school. Some of the worlds most amazing and successful people never attended school.

Kids who are home educated get the same chances at careers and life even though many have never set foot in a classroom in their lives.

• School is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 School rules are horrible and they don't make sense. Because do we
    really need a president to fix this issue.
    #2 School is a very lazy place. They're is lazy they don't even go and fix these computers at all:(
    #3 They treat us like childen:(
    SCHOOL SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It really isnt

The only thing we really need to learn is how to read write punctuate how to be cool how to keep up with the latest memes and how to talk with one another. So personally i think school is a waste of my precious time because i'm probably just going to go into manual labor or the gaming industry.

• Nope, not a chance

Understanding something is important, school is a place that, in the US, a grade counts more then a person's understanding or intelligence. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

• School should only be basic.

Now, hear me out, because I know a lot of old fashioned people hate this topic.

First of all, school teaches you so much menial and tedious information that wouldn't be needed in daily life if an actual sharknado appeared. We learn the extents of advanced maths that would only matter to us if we went into certain fields of work (such as algebra in construction, roofing, etc.). Biology, we cut open frogs, study seeds, but nothing about our own bodies? Biology could be a useful subject IF it had taught the right kind of information, but a whopping estimated 5% is useful from what we take in that class.

Now, I do have a solution. Sort of. I'm not well-versed in this topic, and there's not much research on it, so don't quote me on it. There are multiple schools that I've heard of in England that let the students choose their own curriculum (to a degree), and they get to learn what they think is practical and useful to a daily lifestyle. There's also alternative schooling Sudbury Schools, and this is a very interesting style of teaching. The school itself requires you to be on campus for an allotted amount of time, but you don't have to go to any of the classes if you don't want to. Sudbury Schools are all about independence and diplomacy, the whole school is this family of able-bodied staff and students that govern what goes on during school hours. I suggest you research it if you have the time, it certainly is interesting.

And to close, I'll recap. Schools would be a hell of a lot more useful if they weren't making children into work mongering robots. What was my own plan to get away from all this? Become an emancipated child at 16, get my G.E.D., go to community college (and pursue further education if wanted, but I haven't had a need to) and I finished college at.. 20 Years of age. Think of that, I was younger than the majority of my friends that actually FINISHED high school. Never thought a drop out could pull that one off, huh?

• School should only be basic.

• School should only be basic.

• A lot of school stuff is useless

I do not think school is important. Much of the stuff we learn is useless. In school,I learn the 4 core subjects,as well as Spanish,Engineering,and health. But does health really teach you healthy habits? And most of the stuff related to your diet is wrong. Furthermore,i cannot believe that some go to such an extreme measure as to make it mandatory(like the state of Georgia,where I live,does). Reading was important back in elementary school. But why bother with useless stuff like diagramming,prepositions,gerunds,amd all that useless grammar stuff. Not to mention,drills in which we have to fill in the blank with he or him (or she or her,etc.). Even 4 year olds have an intuitive understanding of that. Science is fun but useless. Math is fun and useful,bug taught the wrong way. Spanish is important,as well as engineering ,and both are fun,but social studies,though interesting,is useless. And school is slavery. 7 hours a day,5 days a week,plus hours of homework. No pay. Sitting all day(which is bad for you). Slavery is that. Plus do you need to have a job? No,you can have a much healthier,relaxing,and enjoyable life living out in the forest or somewhere remote.

• Its good and bad

Sure you can learn stuff in life. But 95% your not going to use. If you want to teach something teach how to write a resume and do taxes stuff thats important. Stead of fucking retarded shit like math 6-12 grade. Just do sthff thst you love and have fun