• School is important

Without school I would not be able to debate this topic through typing nor would anyone else. Either because we wouldn't now how to spell ,or use proper grammar and we wouldn't have punctuation either. Witch would make all of the comments on this topic nonexistent and that is why i think school is important.

• Its very important

Helps you not to be a bad person, helps you with getting a job, a education. It will make good choices and know right from wrong. Helps with skills, exposure, and your behavior. It even helps you with sports, art, music, acting, and also helps you fix computers and other technology.

• Yes school is very important.

Sure it's really not that exciting, but really it's necessary. And I'm not even talking about math or science; but also art and music. School doesn't just teach you algebra and geography. And really if you want to become something useful in life like a doctor, you'll need several YEARS of schooling.

• Yes to quite an extent

Most of us agree that education isn’t just a necessity; it should be one of the building blocks of life needed to grow up and therefore achieve a well-rounded knowledge.
    It teaches more than the basics for life, so it is more easier to learn equality and social skills in life than to also achieve goals in life, and to have a happy and stable’ life than an uneducated individual. Education is also very important if you want to be a self-dependent individual. It not only helps you become financially independent but also makes you wiser so that you can make your own decisions.
    The knowledge learned in school plays a major role in peoples’ daily lives. Knowledge about history improves cultural understanding, and basic maths skills help people keep their finances in order and English courses teach students how to read, understand and analyse written material, which is a crucial skill for nearly all modern jobs of today.

• Yes, but it could be better.

School obviously is important, but it should be based on what the child wishes to learn about, instead of someone else saying what you have to do. What I am talking about, is democratic education. Democratic education is not only a better alternative to the current system we have, but the student is engaged with their work and what they wish to learn about. Examples of it in practice is Summerhill School in Suffolk in England.

• Up To A Certain Point

There comes a time where further education is not necessary and instead becomes an economic and social burden. Some students excel in artistic jobs that need no further nurturing by betters and instead best results form one's own freedom; there would be no use for them to carry on to say, sixth form and do other subjects that will have no effect on their future. Also it frees up the resources for those who use them to their full potential. There's no point giving a sculptor lessons on how to dissect animals as it is hardly coherent to their field of interest. However, the basics need to be taught as withy the basics you have no foundation to build upon and in this regard schools are absolutely essential.

• Of course it is

I believe the bill gates steve jobs argument is full of holes. Yes their may be a number of people (a small number i might add) that had success without going to school. But im willing to bet those kids had an intellectual upbringing of some sort. Also bill gates did go to school and it was their that he first had experience with a computer. And I dunno much about steve jobs but i do know he got a lucky break working for hewitt-packard. Being successful comes down to luck/opportunity, social skills, and at least some knowledge. The latter two both being something that one can get in school. Education is key. When it comes to just about every aspect of life, having knowledge helps

• They were lucky

School teaches people how to not only learn how to do your job in the future but also social skills when they are still young. The people that are successful without school were just lucky in a little 1 in a million chance. I'd rather not take those odds and stick with a smarter game plan.

• More and more so in today's society.

We live in an increasingly technical and specified society, where the job market no longer allows for unskilled, uneducated laborers to do well. The number one determinant of whether or not a person lives below the poverty line is EDUCATION. Those without a high school diploma are statistically most likely to be extremely poor and/or unemployed. Those with a high school diploma only are statistically most likely to be poor and/or employed in menial, low-paying jobs. Those with college degrees make 40% more over their lifetimes than those without, and have much lower levels of poverty.
    To suggest school isn't important today is just plain ignorant.

• A TALENT is born but a GENIUS is made.

First of all not everyone is born like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs .Every common man creates his own destiny which requires knowledge, indeed imparted by schools. Also not only does school provide knowledge but also the skills, exposure and aptitude necessary for any kind of job or even professional interviews.

• No, it's really not

What's important is not education, what's important is to have a good eye for business. That's what got Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to the top. If school was really important, they wouldn't have even done anything in life. And their stories are not unique. There are lots of people in the world who have succeeded without a college degree or even a high school diploma.

• Education is important

But there are many other ways to get an education without attending school. Some of the worlds most amazing and successful people never attended school.

Kids who are home educated get the same chances at careers and life even though many have never set foot in a classroom in their lives.

• As a final year US medical student I say NO

Let me preface this by saying that school is a great place to meet people and to be exposed to new ideas, however, the US education system is very very outdated. It goes back to a time when knowledge and information were not readily accessible via the internet. We now have access to amazing online resources that can teach you pretty much anything you want at a click of a button at a fraction of the cost or even for FREE. The reality is teachers in America are underpaid and overworked. Having been in school for so long I can tell you I have had some great teachers, but I have also had some absolutely horrible teachers even in medical school where we are paying a lot of money to attend. I think that students nowadays should at least complete high school, but should seriously reconsider going to college. If you have any dreams, passions, or talents, it would be much wiser to try your hand at those before spending a huge amount of time and money going to university. As a future doctor I want the best for people and in this day in age burdening oneself with enormous amounts of student debt and stress from standardized testing is just not right. Work hard at what you do and do what interests you. If you absolutely NEED a college degree or an advanced degree to follow your calling in life than by all means do it. But life is short and you shouldn't let school steal too much of it. Hope this helps! :)

• Why is school pointless ?

“The key to life is being happy and free “ but how can that happen when we are in school stressing trying to get good marks waking up early everyday going to school 6-8 hours every week it’s like your spending 10% of your whole entire life in school you only live once so why stress why bother focus too much just be free in life imagine how life would be without school !

• Cuz boi lemme explain

Obviously, the world has changed, and will continue to change at a rapid pace. The only point in going to most schools now days is for social interactions. The teachers that have taught for many years will almost always be able to give students their knowledge and test them on it, as they are supposed to do. Knowledge is power. However, information is NOT knowledge. Yes you do need information for knowledge because you can use it to transform the info in to knowledge. That is a process that is no longer taught to students by new teachers ( who have taught for 10-15 years or less). Why? And what is that process? It's called thinking. Teachers no longer teach students how to properly think, or how to think at all. Thinking requires one to ponder, dwell, reflect, imagine, visualize. Students can't do that unless they educate themselves on this process or are taught. School no longer helps them, or us. We'll have to help ourselves. Unless you want the people who will run this world to have the brains of a potato, which they almost ALL already do.

• Yes and no

I believe school is important if u were to pursue any type of medical, educating profession. However; if u plan on becoming let’s say a computer or programming computers u can either teach yourself that or learn it online and I’m pretty sure everyone can agree with what I said

• Australian schooling system

High school ends up amounting to only one thing - an ATAR. Which no longer really determines your future due to the widely available bridging courses available and options to transfer courses at uni if your ATAR is no longer high enough. Too much stress goes into the HSC for such an unimportant outcome

• We don't need school

With the rise in technology, almost everyone has access to the internet. Everything you will ever need to know and more is stored on the internet. Sending your child to school instead of other, better ways to educate them is just wasting their childhood. If I could've chosen my form of education, I would have chosen unschooling, where I am the teacher. This is just what I could think of in the time that I had.

• A waste of time

We are forced to learn some things that won't even benifit us later in life, for example, learning about the U.S civil war for the 10th time. Why can't they teach us something useful like the United States laws and rights? And don't even get me started on the amount of stress school gives, including punks, homework, tests, and etc.

• School: making Jacks of All Trades, that know no trades.

School might teach you numerous subjects of varying degrees; however, it's usually glossed over to the point where you're too busy focusing on the bolded words that you're going to need for your test. Let's say if you were to name as many jobs you could think of, go ahead, count. You probably named a few, now tell me how much you know about each of the jobs you mentioned. You should immediately get fuzzy on some, or maybe not since you only named the ones you really know. You could probably tell me all about science, history, and math. And yet, a high school student probably couldn't tell me about the latest war, how to work a first aid kit or tell me 50 United States laws. This is our future generation! And with a seemingly infinite career choice, we still learn seemingly nothing about careers, instead we learn about the past. THE PAST for crying out loud! Now on to my second point (bear with me). Schools don't actually give you any kind of preparedness for interviews! You don't have any kind of interview to get into a club or anything that has to do with school in the first place! What I've also noticed is that they're many people on my side with very poor grammar and spelling. Now you might be thinking AHA! I knew school was important, or else people wouldn't have that bad spelling! Well, then school has failed at teaching them to the point where they are literally incapable of putting their thoughts into words. Something English class should have done but have instead focused on diagramming!