Is school more about grades then actual learning?

Asked by: ModernMichael
  • Unfortunately, it is.

Students in school are forced into a setting and made to absorb and repeat information they may or may not have any interest in, and which they often have little to no control in. The parents behind the students often--yet certainly not always-- place values on the grades and associate them with a student, as though the child is worth less for lower performance and worth more for higher performance. While this message might actually work as a form of encouragement, it does not associate personal worth with learning and knowledge. The parents often don't bother to look beyond the grades, as though the grading tells them everything. The emphasis is on these marks the student receives to fulfill a goal that may not have ever been theirs in the first place. As such, the motive instilled is "do better to satisfy people who have power over me" rather than "do better to be more knowledgeable". While making them do it because they're too young to understand the value certainly is acceptable--I'm not saying students shouldn't be in school, nothing of the sort--it becomes less clear when they so often never come to understand the value, or the reason it has value. School too often becomes a case of large quantities of rote memorization that rewards temporarily holding knowledge for immediate use and discarding it as soon as it stops having immediate use.

Again, school still works and is crucial. However, while students can and usually do form goals much later, there's not too much question that the students who go there earlier on generally have earning little markings on pieces of paper they don't have any personal motivation for.

• Children don't care about grades.

It is unfortunate that grades are the motivator in public schools. It is a mistake though to say that children care about grades. It is the elitism of most parents that desires good scores. They want to see the Jimmy is smarter than Johnny next door. It's sad to see how parents corrupt innocence in this way. Last year University of Michigan's Psychology Dept published a study that showed that when children were not graded the overall class scores were actually much higher. I don't know what you do with this information. How about we get rid of grades in K-12 but then remove federal financial aid for college so things overall don't change too much?

• Sadly, yes it is.

While I wish it were the other way around, the truth is that most students and teachers just seem to care about the grade. That is why students cheat on tests, teachers rush "insignificant" lessons just because they provide a little challenge that may drop the class's overall GPA, and colleges look at tests and GPAs to grant admission rather than actually talking to them about their passions. As an example for that last one, I will use myself. For the career path I would like (preferably NASA), my GPA is low: 3.8. My SAT scores are medium, too. However, I have a strong urge to pursue my dream. I can point out a star by name, and if you ask me what satellite is going by at a certain spot right now, I can most likely tell you which one (or type) it is. The fact that there is no high school level test for this subject (and many others) that colleges can look at to determine who is the best scholar to admit is disturbing.

• I don't understand

The only reason I go to school is for good grades. The only reason I get good grades is for my parents. I don't know why grades are so important. Is retaking a test to go from a B to an A really going to make me happier at all? The extra work I am required to do in order to retake 1 test is only going to make me miserable. My parents probably want me to get good grades so I can go to a good college, which seems to be important for me to make good money, which for some reason determines the success of my existence. I consider myself more successful if I was homeless and happy than if I was rich, but stressed and unhappy. I feel like grades are the sick way that society manufactures a fake type of happiness called monetary success.

• What I go through.

I'm in high lschool and every day in algebra it's a new topic and everyday the teacher gives us an assignment to be graded the next day. This has been going on for a month. Why just why. I want to learn. Not get graded about something I'm going to forget the next week. Let's make a change. #Awakening

• Our kids are set up for failure

A lot of teachers don't teach very well and won't help when it is asked of them by a student and way too much is expectedly of kids these days. The questions i see on homework is absurd. No wonder they are cheating. These schools just don't value education much anymore. It's so sad

• Yes, definitely think that schools are more about grades than learning

My parents have become pretty intense about my grades always being a B or higher, and I don't see where that matters at all 10 years from now. I know where parents want their students to exceed in everything, but I mean come on...Acceptance should be based on passion and integrity to achieve your certain dream, not just a basic number that tells whether you're exceptionally good at something. With all this pressure that is put on kids at such a young age, it really isn't healthy at all for the children's well-beings later on in life. If somehow we could just stop all the grades and focus on more passion and the yearning of a dream, it would make a person much more open and fresh.

• Yes, it is.

In my school you have to pass every test givin to you. If you mess up one test and fail to retake it you fail the class. I feel like I'm being forced to memorize and not actually taught. I worry about college everyday. Colleges don't look for a personality or humanity. They look for a letter and GPA. As a student I feel like I am nothing more than a grade.

• School is now a worthless trash bag

A long time ago, school was just about learning new things, but now, the education system is completely trash. It feels like I want to become a drug dealer. Why? Because school is now about "achieving success". I'm so tired of school that it's nothing important to me, nor education. It's just.... A piece of crumbled paper...

• It's pretty obvious

From what I see, to get to college, you must have PRISTINE grades!!! They don't care that you are a good learner, they want people who get good grades so that their college looks good. This scares me a lot, I constantly worry about not getting into a good college, but into a community college, which I've been told is not good.

• We should learn

I stongly belive that Learning is way more importent then grades yes we should work on are grades but not that much we need to focuse on learning! I'm guessing its certain with the teachers aswell that learning is more importent then grades. See my point is that we need to learn more not strech about grades just KEEP CALM AND DO YOUR WORK!!

• No ok ok

No! Education isn't just about good grades or test scores, it's about actual learning. I absolutely hate kids these days who hate school, they're just messed-up (and I'm 12!!). So yeah this is my supporting argument. Ok I need more words to finish this. Does that work? Nope. Okay. Done.

• Yes, it is.

• Be it a 6 or a 16 year old, if their child has incorporated the new ideas, why do parents get angry?

From my point of view parents should have highlighted the importance of learning rather than grades because keeping their marks up without learning won't be of any use in the long run. Although the majority of parents understand this nowadays, if you ask around a school all the teachers would agree that their main aim is to help their pupils learn, not just improve their grades.

• School is not only about grades but actual learning

A school is a place where people get knowledge they learn something new.The teachers teach us not for the sake of passing the students with good grades but to give them the real knowledge on the subject.Ya thats true that grades matter but not more than the knowledge .The schools see the results of the students but they also take the admission tests before admitting the students to check what they have learnt earlier.