Is school more about grades then actual learning?

Asked by: ModernMichael
  • Unfortunately, it is.

Students in school are forced into a setting and made to absorb and repeat information they may or may not have any interest in, and which they often have little to no control in. The parents behind the students often--yet certainly not always-- place values on the grades and associate them with a student, as though the child is worth less for lower performance and worth more for higher performance. While this message might actually work as a form of encouragement, it does not associate personal worth with learning and knowledge. The parents often don't bother to look beyond the grades, as though the grading tells them everything. The emphasis is on these marks the student receives to fulfill a goal that may not have ever been theirs in the first place. As such, the motive instilled is "do better to satisfy people who have power over me" rather than "do better to be more knowledgeable". While making them do it because they're too young to understand the value certainly is acceptable--I'm not saying students shouldn't be in school, nothing of the sort--it becomes less clear when they so often never come to understand the value, or the reason it has value. School too often becomes a case of large quantities of rote memorization that rewards temporarily holding knowledge for immediate use and discarding it as soon as it stops having immediate use.

Again, school still works and is crucial. However, while students can and usually do form goals much later, there's not too much question that the students who go there earlier on generally have earning little markings on pieces of paper they don't have any personal motivation for.

• Children don't care about grades.

It is unfortunate that grades are the motivator in public schools. It is a mistake though to say that children care about grades. It is the elitism of most parents that desires good scores. They want to see the Jimmy is smarter than Johnny next door. It's sad to see how parents corrupt innocence in this way. Last year University of Michigan's Psychology Dept published a study that showed that when children were not graded the overall class scores were actually much higher. I don't know what you do with this information. How about we get rid of grades in K-12 but then remove federal financial aid for college so things overall don't change too much?

• Sadly, yes it is.

While I wish it were the other way around, the truth is that most students and teachers just seem to care about the grade. That is why students cheat on tests, teachers rush "insignificant" lessons just because they provide a little challenge that may drop the class's overall GPA, and colleges look at tests and GPAs to grant admission rather than actually talking to them about their passions. As an example for that last one, I will use myself. For the career path I would like (preferably NASA), my GPA is low: 3.8. My SAT scores are medium, too. However, I have a strong urge to pursue my dream. I can point out a star by name, and if you ask me what satellite is going by at a certain spot right now, I can most likely tell you which one (or type) it is. The fact that there is no high school level test for this subject (and many others) that colleges can look at to determine who is the best scholar to admit is disturbing.

• Yes it is

I had grades a and b all through school, but I feel like i would have learned more actually useful things just from the internet or my parents. Schools care more about the money they get from "successful" students than how much they actually learn. When am i actually going to use algebra anyway?

• Grades are said to be the key to success.

Many schools, including my own, focus on grades as a means of what you can accomplish. But, that doesn't take emotions, home situations, or the want or need of a personal life into account. Yes, colleges do look at other factors, but grades have become a major cause of stress and can become hazardous to your health if the stress from, friends, school, and or your family becomes the main message.
    Schools need to focus more on what a student needs to learn, will ACTUALLY use, and what they want to learn. If a student is too stressed or unhappy than that student will not do well no matter what the school does. And, pilling on more work for them to do isn't going to help or solve any issues.
    Since I haven't seen or heard of any progress in this regard, I have lost any hope I had for my school, and I only go because it's required by law. So, until schools try to take mental health into account, and possibly make it easier for handicapped students to attend, then I and many other students, won't be learning effectively.

• Students are forgetting about the real reason there at school to learn

I am a student myself and from elementary school, I have found it more important to get a better grade then to actually understand the material. I can't tell you how many times I have learned about the weather system and have gotten an "A" on it. But could I tell you about it now, no! Students focus more on memorizing the information needed, that they don't learn the material. Grades don't even represent real student knowledge

• It's like that

Unfortunately, we students are just sponges, absorbing information waiting to squeeze it all out on a piece of paper with our candidate name on it. We are nothing but sponges full of facts that do not leave an intellectual or emotional impact on us. Sadly it has become this way, real learning has disappeared.

• Why would it be about learning?

Everyone says it's to "prepare you for the future" and I don't completely disagree because where else will your "learn" what you learn at school?
    But school is, unfortunately, more about memorizing a topic and quizzing or testing over it rather than understanding. If you don't understand a topic or unit, you'll fall behind ( which makes homework THAT much more difficult) and as we all know, that's not a good thing. Because of you falling behind due to not understanding the topic, grades will be the next thing to drop. Dropped grades are no good either so you'll want to fix them. Because of the way school works, you'll have to figure out a way to fix failing grades while keeping up with the rest of the class and managing your other classes and extracurricular activities. All of these combined factors (misunderstanding, falling behind, not being able to catch up, etc. I could go on for ages) causes way more harm than good thanks to good ol' stress (The friend you've never wanted)! My school experience hasn't been too good, not always because of the teachers, but mostly because it isn't about learning but, like I've stated before, memorization. All of this is made worse of course if you're taking AP or PAP classes. And the worst part is that you'd finish an entire unit of work and never use that information again in your life.
    - 14-Year-Old Freshman

• Why would it be about learning?

- 14-Year-Old Freshman

• Yes it is

Schools are more concerned about a students grade rather than the actual student learning their content. Neil deGrasse Tyson had once stated "school systems value grades more than a student values learning." thats all i have to say other than schools have to start seeing that students are miserable at school because of grades.

• We should learn

I stongly belive that Learning is way more importent then grades yes we should work on are grades but not that much we need to focuse on learning! I'm guessing its certain with the teachers aswell that learning is more importent then grades. See my point is that we need to learn more not strech about grades just KEEP CALM AND DO YOUR WORK!!

• Grading is only a way to test actual learning.

Education itself is only about actual learning. The knowledge and skills you will possess after colleges made the tuitions so high. It's not the grading system made the tuitions high. For example, think about, if all Harvard Economics graduates with 4.0 GPA actually know nothing about Economics, will people still trust Harvard education as a school? No. We won't. Grading is one of the ways to prove your knowledge and skills but not the only way. The real world will test your ability in the subjects.

Grading is supposed to help to build actual learning, that's why the school is using it. You guys are saying that you are forced to learn. OMG. You guys even use calculators at colleges. I am Chinese. I have never seen any calculators allowed in any of my classes. That's might why we are good at Math? But my bf born here has to use his phone to calculate tips.

Sadly, grading is distorting the purpose of schooling. That's why we should advocate the actual learning at school through experiential learning projects. This will help students know the importance and reasons for learning the topic. My cousin at her last year in high school in China has to go to school 7am to 10pm, for preparing for the Chinese University Exam ( compete with other millions of students). I think he doesn't know why he learned to learn possibility and linear algebra. I knew them after I start to do data analysis and to bet on basketball games.

Grading is supposed to help to build actual learning, that's why the school is using it. You guys are saying that you are forced to learn. OMG. You guys even use calculators at colleges. I am Chinese. I have never seen any calculators allowed in any of my classes. That's might why we are good at Math? But my bf born here has to use his phone to calculate tips?

• Grading is just a way to test your performance on actual learning.

• No ok ok

No! Education isn't just about good grades or test scores, it's about actual learning. I absolutely hate kids these days who hate school, they're just messed-up (and I'm 12!!). So yeah this is my supporting argument. Ok I need more words to finish this. Does that work? Nope. Okay. Done.

• Yes, it is.

In my school you have to pass every test givin to you. If you mess up one test and fail to retake it you fail the class. I feel like I'm being forced to memorize and not actually taught. I worry about college everyday. Colleges don't look for a personality or humanity. They look for a letter and GPA. As a student I feel like I am nothing more than a grade.

• Be it a 6 or a 16 year old, if their child has incorporated the new ideas, why do parents get angry?

From my point of view parents should have highlighted the importance of learning rather than grades because keeping their marks up without learning won't be of any use in the long run. Although the majority of parents understand this nowadays, if you ask around a school all the teachers would agree that their main aim is to help their pupils learn, not just improve their grades.

• School is not only about grades but actual learning

A school is a place where people get knowledge they learn something new.The teachers teach us not for the sake of passing the students with good grades but to give them the real knowledge on the subject.Ya thats true that grades matter but not more than the knowledge .The schools see the results of the students but they also take the admission tests before admitting the students to check what they have learnt earlier.