Is self-control more important than having pleasure?

• I say yes.

Basically to be successful, you have to do what others don't want to do. If you always prefer pleasure, then naturally you wont be doing things that are beneficial for your success. If you have self control, you can control what you can do and focus on your work. Without self-control is important in many ways.

• Pleasure is Important But Self Control Is A Necessity

Trust me, I learned that the hard way. I am sure I am not the only one who has either. Pleasure is a great thing, but sometimes can be to great! If you are having to much fun at something, you may not know when it is time to call it quits. This can be a disaster for people's work ethic, or even can land them in trouble with the law. So make sure you use self control to regulate yourself. This way you do not go overboard. Life is all about balance, to much of anything is bad.

• Self-control is the key to the highest of pleasures

Anything you do in life will of course be based on your pleasures, but you can't have everything so self-control means deciding what's really important to you and directing yourself towards that, even directing one's cultivation of tastes(to determine your future pleasures) in order to be more stimulated towards one's goals in the future to improve your chances of getting to them. Ultimately the goal should be for all of your life's activities all fun included to have a stimulatory tie towards the achievement of your goals. This tie may be invisible to others at times, but pay very close attention and you can notice the rational use of "fun", that things we think serve no purpose that usually come to us subconsciously when analyzed and contextualized do serve purposes for ourselves, understanding this can help you have more self-control and to direct your impulses towards your goals.

• Yes, self-control is more important than having pleasure.

If we did not practice self-control, there would be many more diseases spreading around and probably more pregnancies. We can lose control with our significant other in the bedroom, but only then. There is a time and place for pleasure. Self-control does not only go for sex. It is also deals with food. If we didn't have any self control more people would be obese.

• Learning self-control is important

Because if no one had self-control everyone would be spoiled, but I'm not saying no one should have pleasure, pleasure is an important thing in life. No pleasure is like saying not to live your life to the fullest, it's like saying to never have happiness. It's important for everyone to have pleasure!

• Strive for Self Contentment

Everybody should try to live their life so that they are happy with what they have achieved. If someone desires to eat a lot of bad food and become obese, so what? If they are happy with themselves and can accept the consequences of their actions, by all means, be happy.

• I don't see any meaningful "Why" for it.

Nevertheless, self control will definitely help you in life. You can use it to stay out of crime, away from disease, etc.

But as for any true, meaningful moral analysis of pleasure, I haven't found any of them compelling. It is a Darwinian function designed -by- genetic coding -for- genetic coding. A simple tool for our gene overlords to control our bodies like machines, designed for no purpose other than to replicate more of ourselves.