• YES - self preservation is the first law of natüre.

As a fellow inhabitant of our planet Earth - currently the keyword *self preservation* came in my mind, so I used an online searchengine.
    Great: the first website I founded and entered: better to have a GUN and not need it than needing a GUN and don't have one.!!
    Boy: was I irritated & disgusted.
    Then: some nice philosophical guru, gone all spiritual & religious: brother: definitely NOT what I WANT TO pursue.
    No. But having confirmed, or so it says online: SELF PRESERVATION has just become my own law, being part of NATURE.

• I think that self-preservation is definitely the first law of nature.

I think that self-preservation is definitely the first law
    of nature. No one is going to look out
    for you like you are. If you don’t take
    care of yourself, then no one will. You
    have to do everything you can to protect yourself and your life, because once you’re
    gone there’s no coming back.

• Yes to self-preservation!

Self-preservation is the first law of nature. People have the right to protect themselves from danger and harm's way. In today's society when there are wars going on all over the place and danger lurking in every corner, people need to take every necessary precaution that they can. Everyone deserves to live and has the right to preserve that necessity, in my opinion.

• Yes, I believe that self-preservation is the first law of nature.

I believe that self-preservation is the first law of nature. I think we would like to think differently--that in a dire situation, we would think of others first, and then ourselves. However, this is not the case. Self-preservation is an instinct. Since it is our instinct and is something inborn, saving ourselves will always outweigh preservation of others.

• Self-preservation is the first law of nature.

Say we are in a plane accident and the only survivor. We do anything we can to live until we find help. We find roots to eat and fish. We learn how to make fire to keep warm. We have certain needs to live and we have the instinct to protect ourselves and then others.

• Yes, self-preservation is the first law of nature.

Food, water and shelter are the basic essentials for our lives. We cannot survive without them. For me, self-preservation is the seeking of these basic needs. Self preservation is first among the laws of nature for all animal life due to the fact that life cannot exist without these things.

• Preservation of the species is a more important law of nature.

Contrary to what some have said "No one is going to look out for you like you are. If you don’t take care of yourself, then no one will." What about your parents? For years you were helpless yet survived. You may also have had family member that put themselves in harms way to make sure you were safe. A common reflex for a mother with a child to do when in the face of danger is to shield their child from it. Are these acts of self preservation?

• Almost, but not quite.

Self-preservation is an EXTREMELY important part of animal nature, but some things are even more important. The passing on of ones genes, for example. I'm sure we've all heard stories about parents doing almost impossible (or unthinkable) acts to save their children. Praying Mantises, as well as some species of spiders, have a very high mortality rate right after (or during) copulation. But they still engage in these acts. That's because, while self-preservation is a very close second on the list of priorities for most organisms, the passing on of their genes is even more so.

• It takes a village!

Even if you self preserve abandoning all others, you can't procreate. Thus species survival potential is thwarted. It takes a village therefore! Let's use the plane crash example provided in support of self preservation. In an adverse circumstance like that, combination skills would be preferred to my solitary skills. Personally, my outdoor skills are very limited. I know math and science, but not botany! My survival would be enhanced, and I could benefit from the assistance of another person.

• It depends on what you mean by "Nature" and "self"

If by "nature" you mean all physical phenomena without direct human influence, than no. Nature only follows the laws of physics in this sense.
    If by nature you mean life, then it's a more complicated answer:
    Since all life on earth (that we know of) is subjected to natural selection, than organisms which do not possess mechanisms of self preservation will die more often on average than the ones which do. Therefore, after a while individuals which do self-preserve will be more common. But it's not "really" a natural law, such as the law of gravity. It's just a common property of living creatures.

Then you'll have to ask what do you mean by "self"? After all, taking care of an offspring is a self preservation strategy even though it doesn't have any advantage for the individual's survivability.
    The principle is "self preservation", but the preservation of what? The individual? It's offsprings? It's genes? The population? Or maybe the preservation of the principle itself?
    It's not clear, but I tend more generally to the latter possibility.

Anyway, self-preservation is NOT a law of nature, let alone the "first" one (don't let me go into the definition of this word as well).
    Frankly, it's not even the most common one...
    Millions of people with depression want to die each year, billions of bees are prepared to sting an enemy with the cost of their lives, and for billions of years, quadrillions of Cyanobacteria were pumping oxygen into the atmosphere even though it destabilized Earth's chemistry and most life on earth (including the same ecosystems they depended on).
    I don't even have to mention the Cold War and anthropogenic climate change...