• They are one and the same,

There is no such thing as "gender fluid" or "transgender" or "intersex" or whatever pronoun you crazy people choose for any particular day. You can certainly BELIEVE that you are these things. But believing does not make it so. Believing in something DOES NOT make it actually real. You are born with specific chromosomes that can NEVER be changed, no matter how many surgeries you have.

You can't just make up whatever you want just because you feel unhappy with your body or who you are. Gender is clearly defined by your DNA. And your feelings don't change that.

So yes, sex and gender are the same thing. Because there are actually only two genders: male and female.

• Wow, a lot of people have a deluded idea of what gender is.

Gender is not a social construct. Our society doesn't understand how being louder doesn't make you more right. Sex and gender are one and the same. Biology has never found a difference in them. Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose. I am really amazed how people don't get it.

• The Word Gender Has Been Hijacked by Ideologs

(((They))) are trying to advocate for the general acceptance of what is clearly a mental illness. A trans person's feelings regarding their gender are no different than the delusions of a schizophrenic person. This is especially clear since they went to mutilate their own bodies, something no sane person would wish to do. (((They))) are pushing acceptance of anything that defies traditional gender norms in order to destroy our people from the inside out.

• A referent is not the same as that referred to.

Gender and sex are different, sure, but only in the sense that gender is a linguistic term that refers to a thing in the real world: the actual construction of sex. You can't point to a gender in the real world but you can to a person.

The elimination of categories of thought is an assault on the categorical imperative of Kant known by the Post-Structuralist school of philosophy. Their argument that "everything is political" is a political argument, if what they say is true and if the existence of categories is a mere tool by which one man oppresses another, then their categorization of the distinction between gender and sex must likewise be the same thing.

What is the political aspirant of the "everything is political" school which also says "sex and gender are not the same" and "Categories are fundamentally oppressive" and
    "Language is an arbitrary system?" It seems transparent to me that power without the necessity of its rationalization or legitimization is the strange and twisted goal.

This is a dangerous game. They have forsaken all that is good in dialog and liberalism and replaced it with confrontation, violence, and mass hysteria movements.

• I doesn't make sense to me anymore!

I just don't know when sex and gender stopped meaning the same thing. I've always been tomboyish. I've never heard of women being expected to do certain things while men are to do others. I always thought that men and women were supposed to support their families. I thought both genders or sexes or whatever it is now, were supposed to cook, clean, be gentle, be strong, be amazing.

I see some of the definitions of gender provided by those who say no and what they say are that I'm not who I think I am. I like sports, mud, cars, racing, "guy things", but I still say I'm a girl. So, to society am I a disillusioned man with a vagina?

• Because Gender is a "Social Construct" doesn't mean it can be changed

As the other side says (as their only argument) is that gender is a social construct. Let's say, for argument's sake, that argument is true. As a social construct, men are supposed to act manly, while women are expected to act feminine, but the other arguments say that this can be changed. Yet age is also a social construct, but you cannot change your age. It makes no sense to bend the rules only when it supports your argument. Like age, gender may be a "social construct," but that doesn't mean it can change.

• Of course it is!!

I don't understand why people consider themselves "Gender-queer", "Gender-flux", "androgynous", "Bi- tri- quad gender", "Pansexual", all those things. Like, one of my friends considers herself genderfluid. I'm like, dude, your BIOLOGIC gender is a girl, so you are a girl. No offense to anyone like that, but there are 2 genders, male and female. None of the rest of those exist. They are illusions, made by stupid people who don't think biologic genders are the only thing. Well guess what, unless you are a genetic mutation, your thoughts don't count. So to my friends Soleil and Callie (their 'gender identity' names, not their real ones) "YOU ARE GIRLS. SUCK IT UP!!

• Yes because science.

Your want for sex and gender to be different is no reflection on what it actually is any more than your want for a god to exist is a method to verify it's existence. Most of the arguments for the differentiation are from transexuals. Transexuality is NOT the same as homosexuality. It is not genetic. It is labeled in psychology as gender identity dysphoria. Stop being ignorant.

• Of course it is

No matter how one feels about themselves and how they choose to identify, if the person has a penis they are a male and if they have a vagina they are a female. It is scientifically proven that they are the same thing no matter what one decides to say.

• This isn't a misogyny issue or any kind of oppression issue.

This isn't a misogyny issue or any kind of oppression issue, although, it can be used as such in order to oppress, or be perceived as oppression. Let's be real here; the amount of people who push any agenda to suppress gender equality, or specifically in this case, transgender/transvestite people, isn't very significant, but it certainly does exist. Quintessentially, it's a semantics issue (communication issue). When you fill out a form for health insurance, or if you're registering for a gender specific sport, male and female biology is very important.

If you add an additional meaning or replace the meaning of the word gender, confusion and legal issues would ensue.

I think when it comes to addressing a person, they should be addressed in the way they want to be identified. But because you identify in a philosophical sense or a subjective sense as a certain gender, it does not actually make you that gender. If a giraffe wants to be a gopher(it wants to be something other than itself), that doesn't make it a gopher. However, humans can now undergo surgery and treatments to change their gender for the most part. I would say that a man who replaces his genitals with female genitals, and undergoes hormone therapy, is pretty close to being a woman. It's not very black in white, as there are more things one may be able to do to become more of a certain gender in the future with improvements in technology/medicine, but that person is now a woman more so than he(she) is a man. I would round up, so to speak, and accept that biologically "he" is now a "she".

Long story short, it would be conflicting/contradicting to include/replace a subjective/philosophical definition with a word that is rooted in scientific fact. We need separate definitions for these things. Biology is important, as well as one's own subjective experience, but let's keep them separate. Emotion has no place in the scientific method, and for good reason. If you feel you're mentally the opposite gender, you can identify as the opposite gender if that's what you want. But until you undergo gender transformative surgery, your body is your body. You have every right to not subscribe to societal norms, but changing the definition of scientific terms to fit a subjective context is contradicting and inefficient, and therefore irrational. Gender's attachment to certain words in certain languages is mostly unnecessary, too, but those languages were created during unscientific times.

If I want to know if you're biologically male/female, and I also want to know what sex you philosophically subscribe to for your identity, I can't ask you, "So what is your gender? Okay, and what is your gender?". It doesn't work. You're not going to successfully change the meaning of the word "gender".

I think there should be a term for gender identity, though. It would be more efficient to have a word for that. Gender identity works just fine for now though, I think.

• Two Different Things

Sex describes biological differences, both in the genotype and phenotype. Gender is a social construct whereby society creates roles to be played by individuals dependent upon their sex. For instance, Western society assumes that individuals of the male sex will assume masculine gender roles (ie, playing with cars) while individuals of the female sex will take on feminine roles (ie, playing with dolls).

• Sex and Gender are Different.

Those who have answered yes to this have completely ignored the existence of transexual people. This is understandable because the vast majority of people have male or female genitalia and then feel like a male or female in their head - but it is extremely close-minded to think that these are the only options.

• Sex is objective, Gender is subjective.

Sex a noun is based on the function a reproductive organ plays in the reproduction of a species. Many species like mammals on earth have two sexes, one sex carries eggs while the other carries cells containing genetic material which is used to fertilize an egg or eggs. Where as examples of species on earth that have one sex and have the ability reproduce from a single organism are single celled organism, fungi and plants.
    Gender is subjective between different cultural norms and has referred to the role of the individual in a society or collective and are based around the binary sex of the human species. Historically, different cultures on earth had different kinds and numbers of genders, four genders being the norm in some Native American cultures which would be based on two sexes and two roles they would play in that society. Two genders being the norm in many cultures heavily influenced by bronze age mythology in each sex only had one role to play in those societies. In some technologically developed societies in the early 21st century, gender is used more as a means of self identification and less so as a role the individual has in that society, however it still plays a role in people's appearance and behavior.

• Lol no. Just no

Go to Google. Type in "Gender definition". Read it. Now, type in "sex definition" and don't look at the one that talks about intercourse. Look at the one that talks about what you are physically. That is my argument. No stupid stuff. No logic crap. Just definitions. That is all.

• Learn your definitions and there wouldn't be a debate.

Point blank, sex is biological (male, female, intersex) and gender is the social construct of what it means to be that sex (masculine, feminine). In every society there are different gender roles. In every time period there are different gender roles. Who are typically care givers? Women. Who are typically construction workers? Men. Who are the typical breadwinners (although this is currently changing)? Men. Hunting is seen as a more masculine sport/hobby and so the males are typically the ones who do it now. If you look at different societies in places like Africa, women are often seen gathering the food or hunting. So no, sex and gender is not the same thing. This is not even something that is debatable.

• No, gender and sex aren't the same thing.

Now I don't have that much evidence to state in my own words. But have people completely ignored transgender people? TransGENDER. Sex is biological (male, female, intersex) and gender is the social construct of what it means to be that sex (masculine, feminine). In every society there are different gender roles. In every time period there are different gender roles. ... So no, sex and gender is not the same thing. Gender is what you think yourself as. Sex is the gender you were born with.

• They are different

Sex, in the dictionary, has two main defenitions.
    1. either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.
    2. the sum of the structural and functional differences by which the male and female are distinguished, or the phenomena or behavior dependent on these differences.
    In other words, sex is the biological identity of whatever organism is being called into question.

Now gender:
    1. a set of classes that together include all nouns, membership in a particular class being shown by the form of the noun itself or by the form or choice of words that modify, replace, or otherwise refer to the noun, as, in English, the choice of he to replace the man, of she to replace the woman, of it to replace the table, of it or she to replace the ship. The number of genders in different languages varies from 2 to more than 20; "often the classification correlates in part with sex or animateness." The most familiar sets of genders are of three classes (as masculine, feminine, and neuter in Latin and German) or of two (as common and neuter in Dutch, or masculine and feminine in French and Spanish). Quotation marks added.
    This paragraph was just a really long-winded way of saying that gender is a perceived sexual identity one has in society.

In summation, ones sex is there physical characteristics. One's gender is their sexual identity as held in the eyes of their society.

• Should not be considered the same

Gender is something we use to identify ourselves for social construct purposes. Sex is defined by the gametes being produced in the body. Males produce male gametes and females produce female ones, however many people are actually capable of producing both male and female gametes at birth, so basing our gender on sex would make no sense because many people would otherwise have no gender to be considered as.

• No, sex and gender are two different things

Sex refers to the biological differences between men and women. Genitalia. Height. Muscle mass distribution. Gender refers to the culturally conditioned attitudes that those differing sexes come with. For example, that women should be dainty and high voiced. Or that men should enjoy beer and football. Gender is constantly fluctuating and changes based on many factors.

• Sex is genitals, Gender is a spectrum

A person born with female sex organs may be female in sex, but their gender doesn't mean that the are female. Look to transgender people, a person with female genitals doesn't constitute that they identify as female, transgender people identify as a different gender, not cisgender. While it is in every respect that gender and sex are the same scientifically, that doesn't mean it's okay to call someone who wants to be called he, she because they were born female.

cca494 says2015-10-18T23:13:25.063
I don't understand. What IS sex?
MasturDbtor says2017-08-22T18:54:43.857
On most opinions there really is a right answer, or both answers are somewhat right/wrong but in specific ways. In this case it really is subjective. "Sex" and "gender" are words. Word usage evolves and changes over time, and large groups of people disagree on usage such as in this case. 100 years ago using "gender" to refer to anything other than grammatical gender was considered grammatically incorrect although sometimes an appropriate euphemism to avoid having to say the word "sex". The euphemism eventually made its way into the dictionary for regular use. And then antropologists and linguists decided to translate words from other languages which we now refer to as having "third genders" as "gender" rather than using another term such as "gender presentation" or "social role type" which they could have done instead.