Is sexualizing female game characters acceptable? Why or why not?

Asked by: LTYD
  • Yes because of

1.Most games are focused towards males so they would like sexy characters, there is no big deal in that.
    2. Women are obviously objects because everything is an object, so I don't get this object thing because of that and it's women's nature to look sexual to attract the opposite sex.
    3. Women complain about this because women get angry when they see another female that is highly likely to attract males, now what does this have to do with video Games? They get angry because of how hot video game characters are so as primitive as they are, they even get jelly over that.
    4. Also if women complain about women being sexualised, they have no basis to defend this because in real life that is what women do, they dress to attract males. So it seems to me the only girls that get angry are the unattractive ones who get jelly because they wish they were like that, and start hating mans nature because they like women looking like that, and also hypocrites.

• I think so.

I think that whatever video games people want to buy is fine (so long as they are adults at least). If people want sexy video game characters let them have them. If they want something else that's fine too. Different people should get to choose between a number of different games geared towards different demographics. Really it's all harmless fun. I don't know why the kill joys are making such a bid deal out of it.

• Watch this before agrueing against

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI55CyoPsVU&feature=iv&src_vid=V7l_tLWFxhA&annotation_id=annotation_2761559477 . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• I don't find it sexist

Provided the characters have a decent backstory and agency, are fun to play as from a game play perspective, are just as powerful and useful as the male characters, there is no problem.

I carry a similar concept to anime and movies; if the characters are well written, have agency and contribute to the narrative themes, there is no issue.

I apply this concept to both male and female characters because male characters in art/entertainment are also sexualized quite often.

• Not degrading to women

I am tired of people claiming that a female character is a bad character just because she wears sexy, revealing outfits. I hear a lot of people refer to this as "sexist and sending out a bad message". By saying that, those people sex-shame, and therefore, they are the ones being sexist.

Endereloise made a few awful points that deserve rebuttal. He said, for instance, "You usually don't see men oversexualised, and that would be considered bad," when in reality, you do see men oversexualized and that isn't considered bad. Men appear muscular and all pumped up with washboard abs, and a lot of that is present in books like Twilight which definitely pander to a female demographic.

• Not a poor representation of women

• Yes its acceptable.

Sure its acceptable.

Do I want to see it all the time? No. But its still acceptable. People who make these games are allowed to design them as they see fit. Everything is overly sexualized in my opinion but that is because sex sells. Its a good marketing tool to make money.

• It's only a game.

Most gamers who play games with sexy female characters are guys, so what's the harm? Guys like to look at hot girls. And games are fantasy/escape, so there's no harm in guys playing in a fantasy world where are the girls are sexy. A lot of girls dress that way in real life to attract guys, and that's just biology and evolution.

• A Bad feminist arguement.

Women wear these clothes in real life. It may be tacky to some and the Video game characters may be more endowed, yet its true. If a women can wear the same outfit in real life then demand to not be objectified or "s!U#" shamed, a video game creator has the right to put it on the characters in the game. Double standards are not to be toyed with.

• I don't see men!

It's fine if people (so long as they're adults) want to buy a video game with a sexy character with skimpy clothes, but estrogen seems to be too much of a trend. It would be much more acceptable if they made men in video games (at least some of them) wear a little (or a lot) less. But they don't. It's sexist.

• Sex shouldn't be used to sell.

It's not realistic and it demoralizes women. For example the prostitutes in GTA. It portrays life in a way which is far-fetched and very improbable. Women are objectified and victimized in many games apart from GTA. Princess Peach is a cliché 'damsel in distress'. Though she isn't sexualized the game itself is still sexist.
    In my opinion women should be treated with more respect in the gaming industry.

Posted by: LTYD
  • It's sexist and is sending out a bad message.

It IS a marketing tool, but is disrespectful to women. You usually don't see men oversexualised, and that would be considered bad so why isn't female oversexualisation? It also sends a bad image to children who play the games because they can grow up thinking that "females are weak and unimportant", just like in games. Another message can be that in order to be strong, females must wear skimpy clothing and be really sexy. It can also be harmful because people who play these games can then want all real females to look like the characters and act like them. This is dehumanizing and wrong. Lots of people say that women still wear this clothing in public, but I never see anyone wandering around in outfits such as Kitana's. It makes women seem as objects incapable of proper human emotions and are simply used for sex. It's unfair because women aren't just for sex, they are human too and has anyone ever thought that women have interests other than having sex?

• No, not if its overboard, especially for young men game players.

Super sexual things in video games can drive the instincts of young boys or men in a bad way. It could cause bad cravings for things like sex at a young age, and its not fair to men or boys because its hard to get out of that hole once you've fallen in. It could also cause people to want to see those things more often leading to a world of hurt if you go to far :[

• Well, it happens with men as well

Video games are a fantasy world, so none of the stuff in them are real. They may be based on real events, but the games them self are not real. So the primary market, males, (which is very disappointing, as the market is about 50/50 for men and women) gets sold on imagining their protagonist as a muscular male with military assets, and who is a spy and their flirt as a hot, hot lady who also has big assets, but of a different kind. So you see, the double standards for video games are actually quite strong, and this is not a problem. What is a problem is that the female community is not being heard as much through the developers and the male community.

• Woman is not an object

You cannot sell this because woman is not a product. Not everything is about money, not everything is for sale. Humans are more than products or animals. And it is reason why I will not support it. People have to learn how to respect to each other. We should follow a good rules.

• They Fight and needs as much armor coverage as possible to survive, their exposed cleavage wont help them.

Seriously I get the whole esthetic purpose of things but in reality, these characters will do all kind of movements to fight and survive, and the uber daring clothing wont help them achieve this. Don't let me get started with the harsh environment too. Seriously, the outdoors alone will kill these characters because of the lack of cloth on their body. BOTTOMLINE is, they simply wont survive if wearing those clothing. NOT realistic, Not cool. Obviously made to attract male players. Capitalism is the whole root of this problem, and their capital... Skin and cleavage.

• Sexualisation is not a focus of gaming.

Sexualising female characters should not be used as a device to gain attention and appeal for the particular franchise. The main things we should be focusing on with regards to games are the mechanics, gameplay, backstory and not the physicality of female characters particularly (which is known to be commonly exaggerated in a negative way, and not for the means of promoting confidence in body type and sexuality). The fact of the matter is, women who are sexualised in games are often demeaned, victimised and objectified, and many women take offence to this, as the main focus of our video games should not have anything to do with these concepts.