• The perfect model for a city.

Granted Singapore isn't as big as a mega-city in Tokyo or New York, but they don't put up with any sort of stupidity from fellow citizens. Strict drug laws are just one of the very many examples that makes Singapore a good city. Does it sound a bit strict? Depends who you are. However from my point of view, Singapore is that type of city that every other city can only dream of having.

• Singapore has among the highest average income

Anyone who has actually lived/been to Singapore can understand the crimeless, clean, and efficiency of this society in particular. Although many believe Singapore is a police state, those who abide by the rules have nothing to fear unless if they fear being in one of the most educated countries in the world.

• I am from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

But I have lived in Singapore, Washington DC, Vancouver etc. and by far, Singapore has the best model. I worked at a property development company in Singapore so I had to work with the government a lot as well because the city planning there is very strict. The master plan is updated every 5 years so that the city is constantly growing without any disturbance. Every part of the city has its purpose. There is very minimal crime, the city is clean, and people are all sheltered. I was fascinated by the city and I think any city looking to become self sustaining should follow suit.

• Not by a long shot

I find this city a little two bizarre for its own good. And they're not alone. I think any city-state is just bizarre beyond comprehension. A city is only a smart part of a larger country. I find it weird that a city-state should just be of a city. That is so dumb! People with their weird inventions, seriously.

• No, heavens, no.

'If the people be led by laws, and uniformity sought to be given them by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame. If they be led by virtue, and uniformity sought to be given them by the rules of propriety, they will have the sense of shame, and moreover will become good.' (Analects 2.3) I'm sure Singapore teaches proper virtues in schools, but provided that they pass and enforce laws so stringent as to tightly monitor and control every part of the citizen's life, I cannot but feel that the city is led by laws and punishments, not by virtues and ethics. That cannot sustain. The citizens abide by laws not because they are virtuous, but because they fear the repercussions of violating the laws. If there are loopholes in the laws, they may be exploited by the smart but unwise; and if there are people who have no fear of being jailed/caned/executed, they will commit crimes without repent. 'When one by force subdues men, they do not submit to him in heart. They submit, because their strength is not adequate to resist. When one subdues men by virtue, in their hearts' core they are pleased, and sincerely submit.' (Mencius 3.3)

• While it may work there...

It works for Singapore, but the truth is, that they are exceptionally special due to many circumstances which mean their system applied anywhere else would surely fail. And this is besides the fact that "benevolent dictatorship" should be a role model for well-functioning societies. In short, the unique geographic, historical, political, and cultural influences which make Singapore Singapore mean that it is not a good model for the vast majority of all other cities.