Is sleep deprivation hindering performance in U.S. schools?

• Yes, sleep deprivation is hindering performances in the schools.

I think with grade school children, it isn't as bad, since they go to bed early and don't start school until 8:30. However, middle school is probably the worst. They are early teenagers, they want to stay up later and their hormones are out of whack. I would also blame it a little on excessive amounts of homework. They are probably running on six hours of sleep at the most, and falling asleep in class.

• Yes, sleep deprivation is hindering performance in U.S. schools.

I believe that sleep deprivation is hindering performance in U.S schools. Kids need to get a good night's sleep in order to stay alert doing school. So many of them stay up late watching TV, playing on computers or texting. I have worked in education and have seen kids come to school, put their heads down and snooze off right away. Test scores have gone down in our district, and I think lack of sleep is definitely contributing to the poor scores.

• This is undeniable.

Simply ask why people come to school with droopy eyes, coffee, energy drinks, etc. So they could try to stay awake in class, teens have a strange sleep schedule that is unique to thir age group. Do you really have to work against the biology of these people? The next time you see someone sleeping in class, remember that it is their biology, and the times aren't suited for these people, too much homework, family life and being a kid. Their brains aren't developed yet so we can't expect them to be able to get far without actually allowing them some shuteye.

• absolutely positively YES!

It sure is. Teenagers have so many issues to deal with, notwithstanding the tumultuous time that adolescence is for almost ALL teens,combined with the lack of communication and apathy that often accompanies these feelings,behaviours,and emotions and thoughts, plus the rigorous amount of coursework plus extracurricular activities and sports it's no wonder that performance is down. Not to mention the pressure from adults and questions like "what do you want to do when you grow up?" or "Where do you want to go to college?" It's just overwhelming for a lot of young people. So take a break and get some sleep. It won't hurt can only do good.

• It most definetly is

Teenagers don't produce melatonin as readily as children or adults, so they have trouble falling asleep as it is and then difficulty waking up. But screens like televisions, mobile phones, iPods, iPads, and computers actually further disrupt the melatonin cycle and should not be used within two hours of bed. M,any teens stay up all hours of the night using them.

Sleep deprivation causes similar problems to being drunk, reduced judgement, slower reaction times and so on.

• I'm still going

I Get close to four hours of sleep a night. I get 4.0 most every term I am in 8th grade and I still average better than most my school mates I seriously doubt that sleep deprivation dismisses school learning, though it may change attitude. Children and Teens may be losing sleep but, it all comes down to compliance, if your child gets cranky or angry when he's tired then it may effect him more than others me myself I don't like wasting time sleeping when I could be doing so much more in the extra 3-4 hours. If you disagree I'm open to new ideas.