• People underestimate children

We live in a society where children are treated as stupid, excessively fragile specimens, who will fracture and fall completely part at the smallest exposure to fear and pain. The popular claim is that spanking teaches kids that violence is okay. Kids, however, are not that simple, nor are they so stupid to understand the real reasons behind their physical punishment. Corporal punishment, if doled out correctly, teaches kids in a direct and forceful way that there are consequences that are not at all pleasant in any way, shape, or form. If kids learn from a young age the extremities of the consequences to their actions, by the time they're older, they will have discipline, understand right from wrong, and avoid doing "wrong" as much as possible. Because they'll the concept of consequence. That is discipline. Discipline is not abuse. Discipline is teaching. Of course not all kids are going to learn discipline the same way, since, obviously, not all kids are the same. But to treat spanking specifically as a "wrong" method of discipline is inaccurate and unfair.

• Pain is an excellent teacher

When a child, especially a young child does something naughty it is quite hard, due to their limited language skills to explain to them that it is wrong and you don't want them doing it again.
    When if I child does something wrong and you hit them across the back of the legs or on the bottom, it causes them pain. They will then associate the behavior with pain and be less likely to do it again.

The biggest and only point I want to make here is there is a HUGE difference between hitting a child for punishment, and beating a child.

I was hit regularly as a child and I have turned out fine, I hold no ill-will towards my parents for it and I will hit my children. If I was kicking off in a supermarket because I wanted some sweets and I got slapped across the back of my legs I soon learnt to shut up and do as I was told.

Too many kids these days lack discipline and I blame the removal of the cane in schools and parents not hitting their children.

• They learn what is good for them

Otherwise they will not get diciplined and I got hit, slapped and spanked as a child so they need it. They need to get hurt and cry so they won't do it again. I hit my kids and they behave really well now and I think schools need to hit children too!

• They learn what is good for them

• Rude, nasty, horrible

Smacking your child is not going to get them anywhere in life, when they grow up and someone smacks them they are going to retaliate because they will think that it is okay to hit them back because its what happened to them when they were a child. In my opinion I just find it rude and disgusting how you can hit your child because they were being naughty. Your child will grow up knowing that there own parents have smacked them because of your behaviour. This is vile!!

• Yes 100%%% an

Because you need to teach them a lesson people like my friend here christian doesnt really understand the concept of this , children tend to forget until something drmamtic happens , so need to teach them a lesson. So u need to prepare them for the real world , no mercy

• Yes 100% because

Children tend to forget until something dramatic happens thats why you need to teach them a lesson when they do something wrong. Ypu need to toughen up your children for the real world , in the real world there isnt 2nd chances and forgiveness when you do somethig wrong you get fired when you mess up in work

• Final Level Escalation

I believe that in the arsenal of parenting tools lies "smacking".

It is indeed a dangerous tool but sometimes a job in the real world requires one to use a dangerous tool. When using a dangerous tool it must be used wisely, appropriately and proportionately.

I also feel smacking should exist as the final level of escalation, rather like prison is in the western world. We always try to avoid sending folks to prison but that deterrent must exist.

• Correct parental intuition cannot be policed.

Recently observing a multitude of parents self-righteously debating yes or no to smacking in regards to a smacking ban to be introduced by the Scottish government. Parenting skill and blatant child abuses are two distinct areas, with the latter having relatively effective statute law in place to tackle the issue. The law/government has no place in imposing and effectively doing the parenting of the legal guardians of any child. It must be understood that there are different parents with different children, both of different personalities and behaviours, brought up in different environments under varied circumstances. A carefully weighted smack on a child's buttocks is unlikely to cause any physical harm or damage. If used reasonably and responsibly, in other words, when there is no doubt the child has misbehaved, and therefore must be punished in order to learn consequence. Even say, a mock spanking where the spank itself is merely a tap and completely harmless physically, in some cases can be adequate punishment for a child with the mild action ensuring the child knows they have been caught misbehaving, signalling clear penalization for the wrong behaviour. This, in a way, is more of a psychological punishment where consequence is being realized, and the effect on the child can be similar to being sat in the naughty corner for ten minutes, there are varied strategies for disciplining children. Ten minutes in a naughty corner is a mild, spurious form of imprisonment, and can be a highly effective alternative strategy for punishment of the wrongful acting child. In some individual's eyes this strategy of punishment could be viewed as more cruel, though the effect is still aimed at a form of psychological punishment. It could be argued that such a strategy is verging on psychological/emotional abuse, raising another question on child discipline altogether (whatever next, where does it end). As for certain studies, some of which have differing conclusions, though keeping in reference to children growing up better without smacking, empirical evidence clearly shows that youths of the millennial generation are a lot more spoiled, less disciplined/more unruly with a proclivity towards entitlement, dissatisfaction and lower degrees of self-esteem compared to their previous generation, which experienced more smacking with very little negative impact upon adolescence.

• Naughty Step drivel

Absolutely acceptable. A smack is in no way a punch or anything of the sort, it is a careful and appropriate means of punishment, for poor and quite possibly dangerous behaviour by the child. Yes, a softly, softly approach should be the first point of call, when that doesn't work, needs must.

Some of the comments for against beggar belief, parents could turn into serial killers? Could cause injury, even death??!!

One of the main things wrong with modern society is a severe lack of discipline, respect for authority and a view that actions have no consequences. Modern parenting is absolute tosh. Boundaries must be set as must expectations.

• Vile, disgusting, rude

• Rude, nasty, horrible

• Its bad to smack

Children can learn behaviour from their parents so they could go into school and go and hit the other children or whip them with there tie or hit them with their belt and harm their bodies the go and get themselves expelled. Don't smack! Don't smack! Don't smack! Don't smack!!!

• It is awful

You guys are all idiots thinking that it is ok! Think of all the supporting research! The physical pain of the children being abused. Imagine if you were being smacked by someone triple your weight and height, and especially if that someone is the person you love. Violence IS NOT a good form of parenting, and if anyone has ever hurt their child physically they should be ashamed of themselves!

• Not very effective

There's just better ways. We got sent to sit in the bathroom for 10 or more minutes, I was jealous of my friends that got a hit and sent on their way.
    Then there's all the debate showing that it promotes violence, which im only mentioning to fill the word minimum

• NOOOOO!!!Dddd nndd dd

NOOOO!!!!Ssss sss sdsfjuv hsu v and kh visbjif chaos soap ffdddi vind d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d dd d d d s s

• NOOOOO!!!Dddd nndd dd

• There's better ways to give discipline.

I know this as a fact because I am a child myself. Children can easily learn from what their parents do. Like my mom sleeps early and wakes up early to do work, so I do the same. Kids are smarter than you think, and they can easily pick up bad habits from parents. So, the parents should instill good habits in the child instead of encouraging rebelliousness with hitting and slapping children.

• Do not smack yo kids

I do not like that it is evil, cruel, wicked, bad, wrong, immoral, sinful, foul, vile, dishonorable, corrupt, iniquitous, depraved, reprobate, villainous, nefarious, vicious, malicious and very very very very very rude!!! |Main reasons:

Abusive
    Rude
    Immoral
    Ow!
    Could lead to injury / death
    Could lead to children who become serial killers because of childhood issues with parents :(
    They might abuse their future children if they think it is normal.

• Physical abuse is never an acceptable punishment.

Smacking is merely an act of abuse that is disguised as something that is helpful when, in reality, all it does it teach the child that violence is acceptable, and they'll be more likely to be guilty of it in future to other people because they'll think that it's okay.
    Children will begin to lie to their parents about their life so they will not get smacked, which only creates a bond of mistrust and fear between the parents and the child, with the child withholding information and not talking to their parents about their life for fear of punishment. So, really, smacking is more harmful than beneficial.