• Capitalism is the solution

America has not tried Capitalism for decades since goverment spending went up. Government can not control market forces without leading to disaster. Government's role is to defend people, protect people's rights and makes sure everyone is following the rules. Goverment should NOT go into healthcare, entitlements, social security, etc. If people want social security there are private companies or investments that can handle that

• Socialism always fails

While I wish I could support socialism history proves it does not work on a grand scale. The higher we raise the safety net the more people who will be satisfied resting in it and not producing on their own. Fewer and fewer will have to pull the weight and will be capable of keeping less of their earnings. This world needs more volunteered charity and less mandated entitlements.

• Good Concept ... Horrible Execution

I wish I could sit here and say that socialism is good for America. But it can't be good. The reality is that the U.S. economy is built on a corporate-centric freely capitalist society. Freedom with laws. It's how we've done things for the last 240 years. And it appears to be working. The man at the top will always work harder than the man below him. And he deserves more compensation for it. It is hardly the governments choice to tell me I have to foot someone's medical bill, or pay them the same salary I have. The is a free country, people make what they earn. It's probably the most sensible totology out there.

We may be one people, but let's be honest. We are not all equal. Some of us work harder than others, some of us make something of our lives, and some of us don't. It's that knowledge that keeps the people of this country in line, and that is a dream far greater than any to compare to. To work hard, raise a family and have a home is the American Dream. But you have to work hard for it. That's the American Way, and if you don't ... Tough...

• Europeans Have Already Test Driven this one

I'm sorry but too many European countries have tried and failed. The Scandinavian countries like Sweden and Denmark did it well, but the list ends there. Britain WAS a socialist country. They aren't anymore. USSR was socialist. Socialist was the second S in the name. Did I mention Cuba? Oh yeah, and Greece, a socialist country, was bankrupted. Twice.

• If you believe in FREEDOM, Socialism is inherently bad.

Let me start off by saying that I don’t identify as a Republican, nor a Democrat – and that the two party-system is broken, corrupt, and needs a big change in structure…a breakdown, a new day. In regards to Socialism, though…there are so many perverse incentives that are driving the promotion of it. It’s really not what you think when you take a closer look at it. It sounds like a nice, happy-go-lucky, everyone’s equal and we’re such a giving community with puppies and rainbows utopia. It’s very misleading…because it’s all bullsh*t. People need to do more research, dig into history, and really think about what having a Socialist economy would be. The main problem I have with Socialism: IT REDUCES PERSONAL FREEDOM. Sharing is caring when you’re not being forced to do so, and unfairly so. The government/state should not have such control over our civil liberties. Another problem with Socialism: IT’S UNNATURAL. It destroys personal initiative (human beings natural sense of free will, if you may), and replaces it with government/state control. How can that be a good thing for our country…or for anyone? Socialism also violates private property. The redistribution of wealth…the Robin Hood ideology that “takes from the rich and gives to the poor” is just inherently wrong – and for many reasons. It sounds like a nice thing to do, and those who give are lovely, and those who don’t are as*holes, right? The bigger picture of it is that Socialism will create more economic problems, not remedy them. How is it fair to impose taxes on people who’ve taken advantage of their productive talents, and who’ve worked very hard for their financial gains, and be FORCED to give their hard-earned money to others? That infringes upon our liberties, our RIGHTS. What about economic growth and people with dreams of becoming an inventor, owning their own business, etc.? With Socialism, kiss those dreams good bye. Capitalism at least encourages entrepreneurship, while Socialism blatantly discourages it. Capitalism leads to innovation. Capitalism produces more economic growth. A fast growing economy produces more jobs, more wealth, and in the long run helps everyone. The last, but certainly not the least problem that I have with Socialism has to do with education. In a Socialist state, “they” control the education our children get – and the parents have no say in it what-so-ever. We’re already heading down that road with the government-issued “common core” math everyone (including teachers I’ve spoken to) despises. American will not, nor will we ever benefit from Socialism…and history proves just that with other countries who’ve failed as a Socialist state.

• Yes, it will be rough at first, but think of the future

I support socialism because, we've tried capitalism for 240 years, and you see where it has landed us, in the s**tter. I'm all for trying a new method of doing things. I want to go to collage, bit can't afford it. I need medication for my bi polar disorder, but can't afford it. Things like this need to change, if we keep on this track we're on, Im saddened by what our children's children will have to face

• NIGGA its socialism

The issue is all men are created equal in the court of law not when it comes to money. The fact there can be a Doctor and a janitor making the same amount of money everyone can agree thats bs. In socialism there is no reason to strive to be the best you can be when you can just underachieve and be treated the same as people who go above and beyond expectations. Why would anyone want to study extra to be a Doctor when theres in no benefit to them. In society everyone can agree hard work pays off in socialism thats not the case.

• Saying that socialism is better than capitalism is like saying that being in a high impact car crash is better than winning a million dollars.

Saying that socialism is better than capitalism is like saying that being in a high impact car crash is better than winning a million dollars.
    In other words, if you have an open mind, a good grasp on human nature and economics, and a passing knowledge of world history, there's absolutely no question that capitalism is superior to socialism.
    5 Reasons Socialism Is Inferior to Capitalism
    1) Capitalism produces faster growth than socialism.
    2) Capitalism works in concert with human nature while socialism works against it.
    3) Capitalism rewards merit. Socialism rewards mediocrity.
    4) Capitalism is freedom while socialism is slavery.
    5) The marketplace does a much better job of allocating resources than socialism's central planning.

• Survival of the fittest...

Socialism is not what is intended by nature. Survival of the fittest is natural and socialism completely goes against that. I want to work hard to support myself, not my neighbor who can't handle it. Socialism will destroy what this nation was built on: FREEDOM. Socialism takes away American's freedom to choose what they spend their money on!

• Yes socialism can't work in America

On paper socialism is not bad at all. The principles and what it looks to accomplish are very noble. The reality though is that it simply can't work in America so to try would be bad. People would never function properly under socialism and the threat of disputes would be great.

• Socialism is not bad, the Application of it is.

Socialism is a utopian ideal where everyone can live in harmony and share with other people. It is based upon the major premise that everyone will contribute what they can for the betterment of the community. Unfortunately, this is just not how it works in real life. So is socialism itself inherently bad? No. But it will never work in America.

• Socialism keeps your freedom

In a socialist Government, you can still spend money on what you want, get the job you want, but no one will go poor. In fact, socialism helps people get jobs it allows for everyone to work for the good of the community. And if you don't work, that is for the community as a whole to decide what to do, even our current capitalist state has people abusing the system, socialism wont increase or decrease this.

• I dont see socialism as bad, like most.... Here is why!

I was reading about this subject & this was from the article. Democratic socialists believe that both the economy and society should be run democratically. Government and economy must be radically transformed through greater economic and social democracy so that ordinary Americans can participate in the many decisions that affect our lives".
    I dont see a problem here because the key word here is ordinary americans. Last time I checked ordinary is the majority. This nation was built by the labor of ordinary american hands. Meaning the ordinary american should have a say so... Wanting to segregate by having poor and than rich, eliminating middle class is a form of SLAVERY. I dont like the word socialism but if thats what is being thrown to describe democrates.... Than i love it!!

• For the Better Good

America has gone through a time where socialism is necessary. After Bill Clinton repealed the glass-steagall act that essentially protected our money from banks to gamble with. Now that banks pretty much can gamble with OUR money, our economy will be seeing some interesting large ups and large downs. In a social economy, the economy only goes up and this is proven between the years of FDR and the years of LBJ. Those 2 decades were the most prosperous times in American history and the reason why was because of FDR's New Deal. His new deal regulated the economy and many people do not want to accept this, but he was a socialist. Socialism in simple terms is an economy where the government intervenes in the economy and regulates it so no social injustice is caused. For example, labor unions in the early 1900s that fought for better working conditions and a minimum wage were mostly socialists. Many people don't understand socialism is different from communism in the sense that communism applies to both society and the economy while socialism applies to the economy only. Socialism helps the people grow out of poverty, while capitalism encourages business to prevent this and keep the poor poor and the rich rich.

• The Real Difference

In countries like the USSR, we have pure socialism in both its political and economic renderings that were too far-reaching and difficult manage without an absolute ruler.
    In countries like Sweden, we see the development of a new interpretation of socialism (typically referred to as a social democracy).
    Social democracies only really tend to focus on the political side of socialism coupled with ethical regulations to the business sector. An example of a policy most suited to social democracy would be one incorporating universal healthcare. Changes like these would, in essence, raise the civil liberties of Americans. America is a country that has lagged behind over the years in regards to freedom for its people. Things like paid maternity leave, free college, secure retirement, etc. all benefit society as a whole by providing a sense of economic freedom we can enjoy without crippling debt and retiring without dignity. In America, the government cannot oppress you thanks to the constitution, but that hasn't stopped Americans from becoming slaves to the dollar.
    Just like most things, socialism is best in moderation. The sweet spot is the social democracy, but when you hit communism, you've gone too far.

• Can a moral case be made for taking the rightful property of one American and giving it to another to whom it does not belong?

"I think not. That’s why socialism is evil. It uses evil means (coercion) to achieve what are seen as good ends (helping people). We might also note that an act that is inherently evil does not become moral simply because there’s a majority consensus."
    Walter Williams
    Just the thought of it send shivers down my spine.

• Capitalism is wonderful if everyone pays their fair share.

Agree that if you work harder and longer you should be paid more, but you should not be excused from paying taxes. The loopholes for the rich are ruining this country. Why should having an empty office overseas excuse companies from paying their share in taxes? It makes no sense that I am paying more taxes than these large corporations.

• We need healthy community not Social Darwinism!

If you think most people are just expendable tools to be used up and tossed on the trash heap by greedy sociopathic capitalists then you are naturally opposed to socialism, which places a higher priority on reducing misery in the general population than on coddling and creating a playground for the obscenely wealthy.

• If practiced correctly, It can be good

If applied correctly, socialism can work. What the U.S. needs is true equal opportunity. For example, State health should be an option for those who cannot afford privatized healthcare, where there is 1 fixed price for an operation instead of 20. There will be higher financial unity, instead of "classes." Everyone will be treated the same, instead of catering to the CEO's and the wealthy. As long as we still have the Amended rights and the government still follows the constitution (2 term limit, democracy, etc..) This can benefit the U.S.