• Death after playing Diablo 3.

Yes it is, the worst is it can kill you A teenager died at an Internet cafe in Taiwan after reportedly playing the video game "Diablo 3" for 40 hours straight.

The 18-year-old, who has only been identified by his first name, Chuang, had booked a private room at the Tainan cafe in southern Taiwan on the afternoon of July 13, according to the Australian, which cited the United Daily News broadsheet. Chuang then proceeded to play the video game for 40 hours straight without eating.

On July 15, an attendant went into the room where Chuang had been playing and found the teen resting on the table, according to the Australian. The attendant was able to wake Chuang, who stood up, took a few steps and then collapsed onto the ground. He was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

According to the Mirror, authorities believe the teenager may have suffered a blood clot due to sitting for such a long period of time.

Blizzard, the developer of "Diablo 3," released the following statement, obtained by the Mirror and other news outlets, regarding the teen's death:

We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don't feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved. While we recognize that it's ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person's day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.

• Many arguments why it is bad.

Firstly, health reasons. Besides eye problems resulting from staring at the screen such a close distance from your face, other health problems can arise from too much body inactivity when sitting in front of the computer for too long. Backaches are just the start. People absorbed in their computer tend to neglect basic physical activities, i.e. instead of walking to the person in the other room, one simply sends an email/online chat message. This leads to a decline in health over prolonged time periods. Furthermore, ailments like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and RSI arise from too much wrist movements from excessive typing.

Obviously, we must not neglect our mental health. Cyber addiction can often occur if one spends too much time on the computer. Cyber addiction leads to other mental problems, hallucination, depression and others.

Spending too much time on the computer can also dull our cognitive abilities. Spending too much time on the computer may lead to decrease in concentration and focus when doing work off the computer. Shorter attention span and easily distracted are other traits that are common of people who spend too much time on the computer.

While it cannot be denied that computers do have their benefits, the key is to use the computer in moderation.

• It's bad for your eyes

Its bad for your eyes. Believe me I used to have 20/10 no I have 20/50. Only go on it once in a while. I used to go on it 10 hours straight when I was 10. Don't make my mistake. If you want to play on the computer go ahead, but don't come crying when you have to get glasses or contacts.

• Yes.

I, my self has been on the computer for a long time and it gives me a headache. It can also give you eye-damage, you can become addicted to the internet. Having or doing 'too much' of anything is bad. Think about eating; if you eat too much pizza for example you get fat. Being fat isn't very healthy. Doing too much sport can make you ill. Doing TOO MUCH of anything is bad.

• Live physically while you still can

I believe we are migrating as humans to a Virtual Living mode. Everything is moving in that direction, nature is being destroyed by over population and over-consumption, Poor getting poorer and rich getting richer; knowledge is being created and shared at exponential speed. Soon we will integrate with machines. The beauty of the physical world is still here for a few generations and we should cherish it while we still can. Be in both worlds, don't neglect to breathe fresh air, run or swim while you still can, play with your pet, touch other humans, have sex, feel the grass under your feet....soon you wont be able to because you will be too old, or too sick.....Live physically! Z

• Dont let computers hack into your lifestyle

People can become obsessive about the computer and it becomes a part of there "little cyber world" but once they learn to deal with real life they are confronted that the real world is not a computer game. Hours being spent on shooting, blowing up places and constant swearing in computer games cant be good for anyones mind. I have known many cases to see poeple who get so addictive to the computer that it actaully is there life. But once the computer and technology gets taken away from them they dont know what to do with themselves or how to cope. Being mindful is the key, especially living in the 21st century (as almost everyone uses a computer) it is important to have time set aside for computer time, yet always realise that real life is so much more amazing. Don't let time pass you buy just from sitting at a screen day and night. Live your life and experience the culture of the world. you wont regret it

• Yes, it causes many health problems

Spending too much time on the Internet can cause Internet addiction, eye damage, headaches, sleep disorders, depression, stress, loneliness and lack of face-to-face communication. If you have any of these, you need to take a break from technology for a while until they have gotten better or gone away.

• Yes.

I spend too much time on my computer, and now I'm addicted. I'm neglecting my school work because of it too. My friends are trying to help me, but you can see how that's going...

• Yes, spending too much time on your computer can be bad.

I think that spending too much time on your computer can be bad because it can affect your health. It can cause eye damage, carpal tunnel, and can also cause headaches because of needing to focus on the computer all day. A person that is on the computer all the time should see a doctor about their eyesight, headaches, and carpal tunnel if they are experiencing any of these.

Posted by: SeriousNestor34
  • Doing too much of anything is bad, even if it's for work, or something you enjoy.

Doing too much of anything is always bad. On the computer, spending too much time means your eyes may fatigue and develop dryness, and your physical shape may deteriorate, due to lack of exercise and movement. It's ok to use the computer for extended periods of times, but one should also get around and move about in between periods of use.

Posted by: TickoNest
  • Computer is not bad, but spending too much is.

Spending TOO much time on the computer is bad. The point is though, I have seen many of these posts talk about how it has not affected their lives, but then you wonder something, it has not affected your life YET. When someone takes drugs at first, they think it is not too bad, everything is fine and it is fun to do. But after three years of doing it, you begin to find out that you made a un-changeable mistake. Same with computer, and you may think everything is fine but if you look closely at yourself you may actually notice that it is ruining your life. Spending too much time on the computer is a very slow process, it sneaks up on you slowly and you get use to the affects it has on you but if you compare yourself to when you first began, you will be shocked.

• You learn a lot and it is a good alternative for watching TV

People who never use the Internet probably watch a lot of TV instead since they have to have some sort of activity. Spending a lot of time on the computer teaches people and leads them away from the TV. If somebody did not use a computer, they would
    resort to watching TV which is more tempting for people who have not had much experience with the Internet and have not discovered the immense pleasure the Internet can offer. Those people would be addicted to TV and TV is one of the most addictive things for anybody who is unfamiliar with the Internet. Also, that person would
    probably be brainwashed and very misinformed about the world around them. I do not think that any amount of time spent on the Internet especially is too much unless that person is literally spending so much time on the Internet that they miss
    sleep. The Internet also diverts people's attention from food.
    There would be far more obesity in our country without the Internet because everyone would be watching TV and eating food. In fact, almost everyone would probably
    be obese in our country. There has been several
    decades without the Internet. It was certainly worse before the Internet. That is why the Internet revolutionized the world and why many people think the Internet should be a basic human right. I have had personal experience
    with this circumstance at home. My dad never uses the Internet
    for some weird reason although he spends that time in front of his TV instead. Once
    somebody has become addicted to the TV, there is no hope. Spmebody who has become addicted to TV will probably have a permanent addiction to it because they made a bad choice to start watching TV early on in their lives instead of choosing to use the Internet early on in their lives. It is very unfortunate.

• Judging wrongly aren't we?

For those who do not know what they are talking about since they are not addicted themselves, let me share something with you. I am very addicted to the computer. I'm proud of using advanced technology and for all the people that say you don't learn anything, I also take my time researching stuff that people never heard of. Ii really like to play games and I'm also addicted to talking with friends on Skype. It's stupid how people judge you by saying they are virtual when clearly, they see them in real life too. Honestly, it does not hurt my eyes either. I use to wear glasses while spending hours in the computer and I have stopped wearing them for almost a year because guess what? My eyes have never been better and they're properly working.

• No a bad thing

Because I spend a lot of time chatting to friends or playing games but the computer can also be used for helping children with homework and researching things . Also there is no proof that this hurts your eyes or hearing .And I have brilliant eye sight and average hearing and I spend quite a lot of time on the computer .

• It is NOT unhealthy to be on a computer

I agree that people have in fact spent more time on computers than ever, But computers are becoming ever more PRODUCTIVE and useful to people. So I don't think that all of that nonsense
    is in fact true. I think that you should balance computer usage with non-computer usage, but not completely limit the time you spend online.

• No, it isn't.

There is no evidence that computer can make you violent, hurt your eyes, hearing, or any of that. I spend a large portion of my time on the computer, I have above average sight, hearing, and everything. The computer is a source of knowledge. The computer isn't the cause, the cause is YOU. You can't blame the computer. Hell, limit yourself if you want. What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with the computer. I've learned more things on the computer than I have anywhere else I've spent. People who don't realize this are mostly senile old people who don't know what a keyboard is, or misinformed children who have parents who are overprotective.

• No it's not

I have seen many people and kids in front of the computer and nothing bad has happened to them. Even my dad says that it's alright for me siting in front of the computer. But my mum says that me siting in front of a computer is bad. But nothing is happening to me!

• I disagree on a certain level

Being on a computer all the time obviously has its downsides especially if thats all you do with your life !! It can cause obesity etc but im always on my laptop whether its homework or facebook or youtube or watching film yet i am still active i do 5 hours of sport a week which i guess isnt much compared to some people but its better than nothing not to mention walking to and from classes and up stairs and to and from home etc its not a bad thing to be on the interntet at all its there so use it but some people need to do other things besides using a computer so you cannot say all people using computers and watching tv are obese have no friends or social lives etc because its not true at all also remember that some peoples jobs are working on computers everyday and they seem to be doing alright

• It Teaches You Sometimes And Is Definitely Better Than TV

I would rather spend my whole life on the Internet than be a TV addict. Computers can be bad just like anything else if not done in moderation. I would certainly prefer that someone spends their whole day online than someone who sits on a couch all day in front of their idiot box. There are virtually no benefits whatsoever to watching TV in any amount unlike with a computer. Many people I know are addicted to TV and I wish they would be addicted to the Internet instead. People who do not spend much time online are likely to be spending too much time in front of a TV screen instead and that is much worse.

• No, computers are my career and hobbies and to a lot others too.

Though I have other hobbies such as karate and boxing, 75% of my time I spend on computers, programming, researching and problem solving. It is not bad to spend much time on computers as long as it does not take over your life to the point that nothing outside it is important to you, not to just sit on computers for weeks. At least, when you work all day on computers, take a walk, visit the park, go bowling, visit friends. I believe everything should be done in its right time, even though Internet has brought a whole new world, human interaction are very important.

Anonymous says2013-03-20T16:11:08.793
I agree with all this people that think that videos games are harmful
Anonymous says2013-05-07T11:33:24.223
Its not harmful
Quan says2013-06-11T05:18:54.277
It can have physical consequences in the form of weight gain, back problems, carpal tunnel, etc. If you aren't careful. But being on a computer is not inherently bad. My parents never liked me being on the computer so much, but it put me miles ahead of the other students in the field, and I went on to get both a degree and a career in software engineering. Virtually everyone can benefit from improving their computer skills.