• Many arguments why it is bad.

Firstly, health reasons. Besides eye problems resulting from staring at the screen such a close distance from your face, other health problems can arise from too much body inactivity when sitting in front of the computer for too long. Backaches are just the start. People absorbed in their computer tend to neglect basic physical activities, i.e. instead of walking to the person in the other room, one simply sends an email/online chat message. This leads to a decline in health over prolonged time periods. Furthermore, ailments like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and RSI arise from too much wrist movements from excessive typing.

Obviously, we must not neglect our mental health. Cyber addiction can often occur if one spends too much time on the computer. Cyber addiction leads to other mental problems, hallucination, depression and others.

Spending too much time on the computer can also dull our cognitive abilities. Spending too much time on the computer may lead to decrease in concentration and focus when doing work off the computer. Shorter attention span and easily distracted are other traits that are common of people who spend too much time on the computer.

While it cannot be denied that computers do have their benefits, the key is to use the computer in moderation.

• It's bad for your eyes

Its bad for your eyes. Believe me I used to have 20/10 no I have 20/50. Only go on it once in a while. I used to go on it 10 hours straight when I was 10. Don't make my mistake. If you want to play on the computer go ahead, but don't come crying when you have to get glasses or contacts.

• Death after playing Diablo 3.

Yes it is, the worst is it can kill you A teenager died at an Internet cafe in Taiwan after reportedly playing the video game "Diablo 3" for 40 hours straight.

The 18-year-old, who has only been identified by his first name, Chuang, had booked a private room at the Tainan cafe in southern Taiwan on the afternoon of July 13, according to the Australian, which cited the United Daily News broadsheet. Chuang then proceeded to play the video game for 40 hours straight without eating.

On July 15, an attendant went into the room where Chuang had been playing and found the teen resting on the table, according to the Australian. The attendant was able to wake Chuang, who stood up, took a few steps and then collapsed onto the ground. He was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

According to the Mirror, authorities believe the teenager may have suffered a blood clot due to sitting for such a long period of time.

Blizzard, the developer of "Diablo 3," released the following statement, obtained by the Mirror and other news outlets, regarding the teen's death:

We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don't feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved. While we recognize that it's ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person's day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.

• Yes.

I, my self has been on the computer for a long time and it gives me a headache. It can also give you eye-damage, you can become addicted to the internet. Having or doing 'too much' of anything is bad. Think about eating; if you eat too much pizza for example you get fat. Being fat isn't very healthy. Doing too much sport can make you ill. Doing TOO MUCH of anything is bad.

• Yes.

I spend too much time on my computer, and now I'm addicted. I'm neglecting my school work because of it too. My friends are trying to help me, but you can see how that's going...

• Yes, spending too much time on your computer can be bad.

I think that spending too much time on your computer can be bad because it can affect your health. It can cause eye damage, carpal tunnel, and can also cause headaches because of needing to focus on the computer all day. A person that is on the computer all the time should see a doctor about their eyesight, headaches, and carpal tunnel if they are experiencing any of these.

Posted by: SeriousNestor34
  • Doing too much of anything is bad, even if it's for work, or something you enjoy.

Doing too much of anything is always bad. On the computer, spending too much time means your eyes may fatigue and develop dryness, and your physical shape may deteriorate, due to lack of exercise and movement. It's ok to use the computer for extended periods of times, but one should also get around and move about in between periods of use.

Posted by: TickoNest
  • Spending too much time on the computer is bad, by definition.

Of course, spending too much time on the computer is bad. Too much water is bad, too much pizza is bad, and too much of anything is bad. That's precisely what "too much" is. "Too much" is that very quantity which is excessive.

Posted by: LudicrousJosh83
  • Yes, because too much time on computers means too little time with friends and family.

Too much time addicted to video games or Internet browsing means less time socializing in the real world. For example, one of my neighbors demands to play with my son in Modern Warfare 2 every night from 11-3, and gets angry if my son does not log in at that time. He has been married for only a year, and it is my belief that that marriage will not last long with this type of behavior.

Posted by: Random59387
  • Spending too much time on the computer is regretfully bad because it takes away from real life.

While computers have freed up new possibilities in our lives, using them too much is bad because it interferes with real life; that is, it detracts from daily activities. People spend too much time behind a keyboard instead of outside, enjoying the fresh air and getting exercise. It also takes away from personal interaction which is 'real life' in favor of impersonal online events.

Posted by: SAugustus
  • Computer is not bad, but spending too much is.

Spending TOO much time on the computer is bad. The point is though, I have seen many of these posts talk about how it has not affected their lives, but then you wonder something, it has not affected your life YET. When someone takes drugs at first, they think it is not too bad, everything is fine and it is fun to do. But after three years of doing it, you begin to find out that you made a un-changeable mistake. Same with computer, and you may think everything is fine but if you look closely at yourself you may actually notice that it is ruining your life. Spending too much time on the computer is a very slow process, it sneaks up on you slowly and you get use to the affects it has on you but if you compare yourself to when you first began, you will be shocked.

• No it's not

I have seen many people and kids in front of the computer and nothing bad has happened to them. Even my dad says that it's alright for me siting in front of the computer. But my mum says that me siting in front of a computer is bad. But nothing is happening to me!

• No, computers are my career and hobbies and to a lot others too.

Though I have other hobbies such as karate and boxing, 75% of my time I spend on computers, programming, researching and problem solving. It is not bad to spend much time on computers as long as it does not take over your life to the point that nothing outside it is important to you, not to just sit on computers for weeks. At least, when you work all day on computers, take a walk, visit the park, go bowling, visit friends. I believe everything should be done in its right time, even though Internet has brought a whole new world, human interaction are very important.

• Why would it be bad?

I play many games on my computer, I also have straight A+'s. I have a social life, and I have many friends who I hang out with every day. I also play sports such as football, wrestling, and basketball. These sports affect my grades and relationships more than my video games or forums do.

• Yes and No?

I think it's only bad if you let it become more important than anything else in life. Being on the computer is fine to me as long as I get everything done at home, school work, and family things done first. If everything around the house is done, school work is completed, and I have nothing to do? I'd spend my time watching anime, speaking with friends on my phone, etc. --But I'd still go out to movies with friends, hangout with others, go jogging, dinner with family, the beach, travel, do my chores. Life comes first you know. :)

• No it is not bad.

How exactly is it bad? A lot of people has spend their lives really in front of a computer and others they'd actually use a computer for work or for school. Computers are widely used over the United States and of course the rest of the world. As far as I recall, being in a computer for such a long time doesn't do anything to you. So really, it isn't bad. Unless you are damaging your health by raging on an internet computer game then yes. There is really different ways in whether spending too much on your computer is bad. And sometimes it can be bad for you if you're making your experience on your computer bad. Especially if you're feeling stress by using your computer and all. Then there is a bunch of reasons on how it could be bad for you.

• Computers are what they are.

Computers are only going to get more powerful and more capable as well as more integrated. Its not the computer or any sort of addiction that's the problem. Its the people who don't know when to say when or simply when to take a break. This story about the Teen playing a game for 40hrs in a cafe is most interesting. For one why wouldn't anyone check on him long before 40hrs were up? An lets not blame the game makers cause if its one thing I can say as a gamer its that games are not the villain. People need to learn to have responsibility for themselves and not look for a excuse as to why they can't be sensible.

• No, it can help with artistic productivity

I have been trying to find out who I am as a person, what my passion is in life, and what my hobbies are. Many people associate computers with gaming, fps (First Person Shooter), and random web browsing. Yes, I agree that playing video games constantly is bad for you; it can result in poor behavior, attitude towards others, and bad grades. In my case, as an artist, I spend most of my time creating art and teaching others about graphic design. Without spending time on the computer, I would have never gotten to the current stage; where I am right now. I have been flourishing as an artist and haven't seen any changes in my life style at all. I still work out, eat healthy, and get good grades.

• No it's not bad at all.

What's with all the arguments on the Yes side saying that it can cause you back pain? I get back pain when I exercise too much. I get back pain by sleeping the wrong way. I NEVER get back pain by sitting in my comfortable chair playing games or watching videos. People say that it causes eye damage, it has IMPROVED my eyesight. I can look at things clearer since I pay attention to things more when I'm on a computer, so it teaches me to do so in real life. I'm sure that EVERYONE has read the story about the kid dying from playing Diablo 3 for too long because of a blood clot. BEING ON A COMPUTER ISN'T THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO WHEN SITTING. Watching TV has been scientifically proven to be worse then being on the computer since you're mindlessly staring at a screen while you actually do stuff on a computer. All in all, being on a computer is actually healthier than a lot of other things.

• Computers Are Good

I think computers are good. They promote imagination in some cases, and wake the brain up. I don't see why everyone hates them, adults just don't understand because they didn't grow up with them like the 21st generation did. I am proud to use the computer because it shows that my own kin made something as cool as this.

Anonymous says2013-03-20T16:11:08.793
I agree with all this people that think that videos games are harmful
Anonymous says2013-05-07T11:33:24.223
Its not harmful
Quan says2013-06-11T05:18:54.277
It can have physical consequences in the form of weight gain, back problems, carpal tunnel, etc. If you aren't careful. But being on a computer is not inherently bad. My parents never liked me being on the computer so much, but it put me miles ahead of the other students in the field, and I went on to get both a degree and a career in software engineering. Virtually everyone can benefit from improving their computer skills.