• State your name cuz

State your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuz state your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuzstate your opinion cuz

• Many arguments why it is bad.

Firstly, health reasons. Besides eye problems resulting from staring at the screen such a close distance from your face, other health problems can arise from too much body inactivity when sitting in front of the computer for too long. Backaches are just the start. People absorbed in their computer tend to neglect basic physical activities, i.e. instead of walking to the person in the other room, one simply sends an email/online chat message. This leads to a decline in health over prolonged time periods. Furthermore, ailments like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and RSI arise from too much wrist movements from excessive typing.

Obviously, we must not neglect our mental health. Cyber addiction can often occur if one spends too much time on the computer. Cyber addiction leads to other mental problems, hallucination, depression and others.

Spending too much time on the computer can also dull our cognitive abilities. Spending too much time on the computer may lead to decrease in concentration and focus when doing work off the computer. Shorter attention span and easily distracted are other traits that are common of people who spend too much time on the computer.

While it cannot be denied that computers do have their benefits, the key is to use the computer in moderation.

• It's bad for your eyes

Its bad for your eyes. Believe me I used to have 20/10 no I have 20/50. Only go on it once in a while. I used to go on it 10 hours straight when I was 10. Don't make my mistake. If you want to play on the computer go ahead, but don't come crying when you have to get glasses or contacts.

• Death after playing Diablo 3.

Yes it is, the worst is it can kill you A teenager died at an Internet cafe in Taiwan after reportedly playing the video game "Diablo 3" for 40 hours straight.

The 18-year-old, who has only been identified by his first name, Chuang, had booked a private room at the Tainan cafe in southern Taiwan on the afternoon of July 13, according to the Australian, which cited the United Daily News broadsheet. Chuang then proceeded to play the video game for 40 hours straight without eating.

On July 15, an attendant went into the room where Chuang had been playing and found the teen resting on the table, according to the Australian. The attendant was able to wake Chuang, who stood up, took a few steps and then collapsed onto the ground. He was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

According to the Mirror, authorities believe the teenager may have suffered a blood clot due to sitting for such a long period of time.

Blizzard, the developer of "Diablo 3," released the following statement, obtained by the Mirror and other news outlets, regarding the teen's death:

We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don't feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved. While we recognize that it's ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person's day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.

• Yes.

I, my self has been on the computer for a long time and it gives me a headache. It can also give you eye-damage, you can become addicted to the internet. Having or doing 'too much' of anything is bad. Think about eating; if you eat too much pizza for example you get fat. Being fat isn't very healthy. Doing too much sport can make you ill. Doing TOO MUCH of anything is bad.

• Yes.

I spend too much time on my computer, and now I'm addicted. I'm neglecting my school work because of it too. My friends are trying to help me, but you can see how that's going...

• Yes, spending too much time on your computer can be bad.

I think that spending too much time on your computer can be bad because it can affect your health. It can cause eye damage, carpal tunnel, and can also cause headaches because of needing to focus on the computer all day. A person that is on the computer all the time should see a doctor about their eyesight, headaches, and carpal tunnel if they are experiencing any of these.

Posted by: SeriousNestor34
  • Doing too much of anything is bad, even if it's for work, or something you enjoy.

Doing too much of anything is always bad. On the computer, spending too much time means your eyes may fatigue and develop dryness, and your physical shape may deteriorate, due to lack of exercise and movement. It's ok to use the computer for extended periods of times, but one should also get around and move about in between periods of use.

Posted by: TickoNest
  • Spending too much time on the computer is bad, by definition.

Of course, spending too much time on the computer is bad. Too much water is bad, too much pizza is bad, and too much of anything is bad. That's precisely what "too much" is. "Too much" is that very quantity which is excessive.

Posted by: LudicrousJosh83
  • Yes, because too much time on computers means too little time with friends and family.

Too much time addicted to video games or Internet browsing means less time socializing in the real world. For example, one of my neighbors demands to play with my son in Modern Warfare 2 every night from 11-3, and gets angry if my son does not log in at that time. He has been married for only a year, and it is my belief that that marriage will not last long with this type of behavior.

Posted by: Random59387
  • Computer is not bad, but spending too much is.

Spending TOO much time on the computer is bad. The point is though, I have seen many of these posts talk about how it has not affected their lives, but then you wonder something, it has not affected your life YET. When someone takes drugs at first, they think it is not too bad, everything is fine and it is fun to do. But after three years of doing it, you begin to find out that you made a un-changeable mistake. Same with computer, and you may think everything is fine but if you look closely at yourself you may actually notice that it is ruining your life. Spending too much time on the computer is a very slow process, it sneaks up on you slowly and you get use to the affects it has on you but if you compare yourself to when you first began, you will be shocked.

• No it's not

I have seen many people and kids in front of the computer and nothing bad has happened to them. Even my dad says that it's alright for me siting in front of the computer. But my mum says that me siting in front of a computer is bad. But nothing is happening to me!

• No, computers are my career and hobbies and to a lot others too.

Though I have other hobbies such as karate and boxing, 75% of my time I spend on computers, programming, researching and problem solving. It is not bad to spend much time on computers as long as it does not take over your life to the point that nothing outside it is important to you, not to just sit on computers for weeks. At least, when you work all day on computers, take a walk, visit the park, go bowling, visit friends. I believe everything should be done in its right time, even though Internet has brought a whole new world, human interaction are very important.

• Computers Are Good

I think computers are good. They promote imagination in some cases, and wake the brain up. I don't see why everyone hates them, adults just don't understand because they didn't grow up with them like the 21st generation did. I am proud to use the computer because it shows that my own kin made something as cool as this.

• No it does not

No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side are that it is bad for you because it can cause eye strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background light... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other? And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It is part of today's world.

This world is increasingly dependent on information and it is most easily found and filtered through the computer. There are countless jobs that require the use of a computer. One of my largest personal skills includes 3D digital art. And I am hoping to use this skill in my future as a source of income, so it is necessary for me to use a computer.

• No, it is not harmful.

Many IT guys that I have grown up with and computer professionals said to me it is not bad and the radiation the computer gives off is not as harmful as every day life. Also, yes, your eyes get damaged IF you don't take breaks every hour. The professionals say that you should take a break every hour or so (about 10 to 20 minutes) and walk around, eat, look at a distant corner, or any other thing that you can look at 10+ feet.

-Cole H. Senior High School Student

• No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side is that it is bad for you because it can cause I strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background lig... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are the exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other. And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It does not have that bad of an effect

It is something to do, and it helps people with everything in their lives. I have been doing this for a long time, and haven't noticed a lot of bad things because of it. Although I try to spend time wisely being on the computer. I think the computer has helped me a lot.

• Its about your opinion

Nobody tells you how to live your life - then why should you?
    Its okay to have an opinion about it and it may be that it is bad, but is life not about doing what you enjoy? I myself play a lot of games, and sometimes i get "Why do you not go out and socialize more?" And i do socialize, but where others may enjoy hanging out on a café or something like that, i just like to play games. They say "But thats wrong" and no it is not, thats just their opinion and it does not mean a lot to me. Then there are the health issues.. Well where to start.. Eye damage, loneliness? Pf, you can get eye damage just from looking in the sun as well. You can get injured from all sorts of things, a computer is just another thing.. Added to the millions of things that can also injure you..

Anonymous says2013-03-20T16:11:08.793
I agree with all this people that think that videos games are harmful
Anonymous says2013-05-07T11:33:24.223
Its not harmful
Quan says2013-06-11T05:18:54.277
It can have physical consequences in the form of weight gain, back problems, carpal tunnel, etc. If you aren't careful. But being on a computer is not inherently bad. My parents never liked me being on the computer so much, but it put me miles ahead of the other students in the field, and I went on to get both a degree and a career in software engineering. Virtually everyone can benefit from improving their computer skills.