• Yes, definitely. spending too much time on the computer is harmful.

I think if you spend too much time on the computer, it can damage many things in your lifestyle. You could develop a mixture of different diseases and it could weaken your social skills.

• Spending too much time on your computer is bad

Spending too much time on the computer is bad for your eyes. It also wastes your time and doesn't allow you to exercise. If you go on the computer everyday, it is bad for your hands and makes your eyes tired. You can also get fat and lazy if you don't exercise.

• To much time on PlayStation and pc is bad

I know that its bad because I have been on the computer for long periods of time and come off felling drowsy and tired and while your on your devices your not socializing because you could be at the beach or over at a friends house or missing out on something important in your life. And though its fun and all it comes with side affects such as carpal tunnel, headaches, eye damage etc. and you get lazy and expect other people to do things for you

• Spending too much time on your computer can hurt your social interactions in the real world.

Spending too much time on your computer can hurt your social interactions in the real world. That said, the definition of how much time is too much would have to be defined further in order to refine my opinion. There are plenty of people who spend all day on the computer because that is the kind of work they do and that is not too much in my opinion, if that is the nature of their jobs.

Posted by: NatBIab
  • Yes, I agree that spending too much time on your computer is bad.

Spending too much time on your computer is a negative thing. It's proven that too much time on the computer causes eye strain, and can lead to worse problems, like dry eye and problems focusing. Also, time on the computer is stationary, and if you're spending too much time on it, you don't have enough time for physical activity, and everyone knows that obesity is a huge problem facing North America.

Posted by: Lopez111
  • By definition, spending too much time on anything is bad because of what it interferes with.

Spending too much time on your computer takes time away from other things that are worthwhile. Maybe it means that you shirk your responsibilities to your family. Maybe it means that you neglect your health. Maybe it means that you miss out on what other people in the house are doing. The computer is a valuable tool and a good communications device, but there is much more to life than even the best computer. When it gets in the way of living a full and well-rounded life, you're spending too much time.

Posted by: M4hm0Honda
  • Modern day social networking is disabling people from having real interpersonal relationships.

There is something wrong with society today if people are getting proposed to, notified of important family events, and getting fired via internet. people are using the internet to do what they can't muster the courage to do face to face. Which is very sad. We are moving in the direction to complete reliance on internet interaction.

Posted by: 4uncLife
  • Too much of anything is bad - that is the operative phrase here.

I make a living on my computer, so I spend at least 8 hours a day in front of this infernal box. But this is not excessive because I am working to support a family. However, if computer use is the sole form of interaction or occupation of one's mind and senses, then yes, that is excessive. Just like too much TV, too much internet leaves one lethargic and uninspired.

Posted by: Th4Fire
  • Too much computer time leads to less time for exercise and social activity.

The more time you spend on the computer, the less time you have left for exercise and social interaction. Young people of today are becoming increasingly overweight, due to an increased amount of screen time replacing play. Additionally, young people are becoming less adept at social interaction, because so much time is spent on the computer. E-mail and texting does not constitute social interaction. These two components will lead to a group of less healthy people.

Posted by: TaintedHamel
  • You do not get enough socialization or exercise.

If you sit and work on the computer all day you are losing muscle flexibility, strength and interrupting your bowels.

Posted by: SareBeach
  • Computer is not bad, but spending too much is.

Spending TOO much time on the computer is bad. The point is though, I have seen many of these posts talk about how it has not affected their lives, but then you wonder something, it has not affected your life YET. When someone takes drugs at first, they think it is not too bad, everything is fine and it is fun to do. But after three years of doing it, you begin to find out that you made a un-changeable mistake. Same with computer, and you may think everything is fine but if you look closely at yourself you may actually notice that it is ruining your life. Spending too much time on the computer is a very slow process, it sneaks up on you slowly and you get use to the affects it has on you but if you compare yourself to when you first began, you will be shocked.

• No it's not

I have seen many people and kids in front of the computer and nothing bad has happened to them. Even my dad says that it's alright for me siting in front of the computer. But my mum says that me siting in front of a computer is bad. But nothing is happening to me!

• No, computers are my career and hobbies and to a lot others too.

Though I have other hobbies such as karate and boxing, 75% of my time I spend on computers, programming, researching and problem solving. It is not bad to spend much time on computers as long as it does not take over your life to the point that nothing outside it is important to you, not to just sit on computers for weeks. At least, when you work all day on computers, take a walk, visit the park, go bowling, visit friends. I believe everything should be done in its right time, even though Internet has brought a whole new world, human interaction are very important.

• Computers Are Good

I think computers are good. They promote imagination in some cases, and wake the brain up. I don't see why everyone hates them, adults just don't understand because they didn't grow up with them like the 21st generation did. I am proud to use the computer because it shows that my own kin made something as cool as this.

• No it does not

No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side are that it is bad for you because it can cause eye strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background light... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other? And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It is part of today's world.

This world is increasingly dependent on information and it is most easily found and filtered through the computer. There are countless jobs that require the use of a computer. One of my largest personal skills includes 3D digital art. And I am hoping to use this skill in my future as a source of income, so it is necessary for me to use a computer.

• No, it is not harmful.

Many IT guys that I have grown up with and computer professionals said to me it is not bad and the radiation the computer gives off is not as harmful as every day life. Also, yes, your eyes get damaged IF you don't take breaks every hour. The professionals say that you should take a break every hour or so (about 10 to 20 minutes) and walk around, eat, look at a distant corner, or any other thing that you can look at 10+ feet.

-Cole H. Senior High School Student

• No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side is that it is bad for you because it can cause I strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background lig... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are the exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other. And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It does not have that bad of an effect

It is something to do, and it helps people with everything in their lives. I have been doing this for a long time, and haven't noticed a lot of bad things because of it. Although I try to spend time wisely being on the computer. I think the computer has helped me a lot.

• Its about your opinion

Nobody tells you how to live your life - then why should you?
    Its okay to have an opinion about it and it may be that it is bad, but is life not about doing what you enjoy? I myself play a lot of games, and sometimes i get "Why do you not go out and socialize more?" And i do socialize, but where others may enjoy hanging out on a café or something like that, i just like to play games. They say "But thats wrong" and no it is not, thats just their opinion and it does not mean a lot to me. Then there are the health issues.. Well where to start.. Eye damage, loneliness? Pf, you can get eye damage just from looking in the sun as well. You can get injured from all sorts of things, a computer is just another thing.. Added to the millions of things that can also injure you..

Anonymous says2013-03-20T16:11:08.793
I agree with all this people that think that videos games are harmful
Anonymous says2013-05-07T11:33:24.223
Its not harmful
Quan says2013-06-11T05:18:54.277
It can have physical consequences in the form of weight gain, back problems, carpal tunnel, etc. If you aren't careful. But being on a computer is not inherently bad. My parents never liked me being on the computer so much, but it put me miles ahead of the other students in the field, and I went on to get both a degree and a career in software engineering. Virtually everyone can benefit from improving their computer skills.