• Proportionality in All Things

I usually feel badly when I spend too much time on any one thing. This is especially true of computer use. I feel enervated, blue and ashamed after hours of meaninglessness activity on-line. Computers exacerbate our neglect of the physical world, where we were meant to live. Our tendency to retreat from whole to processed food, face-to-face to Facebook friends and tangible to virtual places has a deleterious effect on us and our planet. Computers have their place in the modern world but we have made that place too big.

• Battlefield Hurts My Eyes!

I've been playing Battlefield 4 for days, I play about 4 hours straight or more, my eyes are staring to hurt when there's too much movement or even explosions. I regret playing for hours, and I'm just 15. Just be carful on how long you play and how far you are from the screen. My parents told me this but I never listend, which I also regret. So yea, it affects your vision.

• Yes spending too much time on a computer is bad for you

Based on personal experience. I am an IT professional who has been working with computers intensively since the days of monochrome screens and punch cards. My eyes are ruined (mainly from eye strain and CRT damage). I suffer from migraines, lost / disturbed sleep and even though I still work daily with computers I find these days I have a cut off point where if I've been working too long I get to a stage where even the sound of my household appliances irritates me, I become very hypersensitive to anything electrical including my mobile phone and I find I can pick up on even the slightest electrical noise. Usually going out into nature and the countryside helps put me back in what I would consider a normal state. I don't know if there is a name or description for what I suffer from but I can assure anyone reading this that too much is very unhealthy.

• Live physically while you still can

I believe we are migrating as humans to a Virtual Living mode. Everything is moving in that direction, nature is being destroyed by over population and over-consumption, Poor getting poorer and rich getting richer; knowledge is being created and shared at exponential speed. Soon we will integrate with machines. The beauty of the physical world is still here for a few generations and we should cherish it while we still can. Be in both worlds, don't neglect to breathe fresh air, run or swim while you still can, play with your pet, touch other humans, have sex, feel the grass under your feet....soon you wont be able to because you will be too old, or too sick.....Live physically! Z

• Dont let computers hack into your lifestyle

People can become obsessive about the computer and it becomes a part of there "little cyber world" but once they learn to deal with real life they are confronted that the real world is not a computer game. Hours being spent on shooting, blowing up places and constant swearing in computer games cant be good for anyones mind. I have known many cases to see poeple who get so addictive to the computer that it actaully is there life. But once the computer and technology gets taken away from them they dont know what to do with themselves or how to cope. Being mindful is the key, especially living in the 21st century (as almost everyone uses a computer) it is important to have time set aside for computer time, yet always realise that real life is so much more amazing. Don't let time pass you buy just from sitting at a screen day and night. Live your life and experience the culture of the world. you wont regret it

• Yes, it causes many health problems

Spending too much time on the Internet can cause Internet addiction, eye damage, headaches, sleep disorders, depression, stress, loneliness and lack of face-to-face communication. If you have any of these, you need to take a break from technology for a while until they have gotten better or gone away.

• Many arguments why it is bad.

Firstly, health reasons. Besides eye problems resulting from staring at the screen such a close distance from your face, other health problems can arise from too much body inactivity when sitting in front of the computer for too long. Backaches are just the start. People absorbed in their computer tend to neglect basic physical activities, i.e. instead of walking to the person in the other room, one simply sends an email/online chat message. This leads to a decline in health over prolonged time periods. Furthermore, ailments like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and RSI arise from too much wrist movements from excessive typing.

Obviously, we must not neglect our mental health. Cyber addiction can often occur if one spends too much time on the computer. Cyber addiction leads to other mental problems, hallucination, depression and others.

Spending too much time on the computer can also dull our cognitive abilities. Spending too much time on the computer may lead to decrease in concentration and focus when doing work off the computer. Shorter attention span and easily distracted are other traits that are common of people who spend too much time on the computer.

While it cannot be denied that computers do have their benefits, the key is to use the computer in moderation.

• It's bad for your eyes

Its bad for your eyes. Believe me I used to have 20/10 no I have 20/50. Only go on it once in a while. I used to go on it 10 hours straight when I was 10. Don't make my mistake. If you want to play on the computer go ahead, but don't come crying when you have to get glasses or contacts.

• Spending too much time on your computer is bad

Spending too much time on the computer is bad for your eyes. It also wastes your time and doesn't allow you to exercise. If you go on the computer everyday, it is bad for your hands and makes your eyes tired. You can also get fat and lazy if you don't exercise.

• To much time on PlayStation and pc is bad

I know that its bad because I have been on the computer for long periods of time and come off felling drowsy and tired and while your on your devices your not socializing because you could be at the beach or over at a friends house or missing out on something important in your life. And though its fun and all it comes with side affects such as carpal tunnel, headaches, eye damage etc. and you get lazy and expect other people to do things for you

• Computer is not bad, but spending too much is.

Spending TOO much time on the computer is bad. The point is though, I have seen many of these posts talk about how it has not affected their lives, but then you wonder something, it has not affected your life YET. When someone takes drugs at first, they think it is not too bad, everything is fine and it is fun to do. But after three years of doing it, you begin to find out that you made a un-changeable mistake. Same with computer, and you may think everything is fine but if you look closely at yourself you may actually notice that it is ruining your life. Spending too much time on the computer is a very slow process, it sneaks up on you slowly and you get use to the affects it has on you but if you compare yourself to when you first began, you will be shocked.

• No it's not

I have seen many people and kids in front of the computer and nothing bad has happened to them. Even my dad says that it's alright for me siting in front of the computer. But my mum says that me siting in front of a computer is bad. But nothing is happening to me!

• No, computers are my career and hobbies and to a lot others too.

Though I have other hobbies such as karate and boxing, 75% of my time I spend on computers, programming, researching and problem solving. It is not bad to spend much time on computers as long as it does not take over your life to the point that nothing outside it is important to you, not to just sit on computers for weeks. At least, when you work all day on computers, take a walk, visit the park, go bowling, visit friends. I believe everything should be done in its right time, even though Internet has brought a whole new world, human interaction are very important.

• Computers Are Good

I think computers are good. They promote imagination in some cases, and wake the brain up. I don't see why everyone hates them, adults just don't understand because they didn't grow up with them like the 21st generation did. I am proud to use the computer because it shows that my own kin made something as cool as this.

• No it does not

No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side are that it is bad for you because it can cause eye strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background light... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other? And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It is part of today's world.

This world is increasingly dependent on information and it is most easily found and filtered through the computer. There are countless jobs that require the use of a computer. One of my largest personal skills includes 3D digital art. And I am hoping to use this skill in my future as a source of income, so it is necessary for me to use a computer.

• No, it is not harmful.

Many IT guys that I have grown up with and computer professionals said to me it is not bad and the radiation the computer gives off is not as harmful as every day life. Also, yes, your eyes get damaged IF you don't take breaks every hour. The professionals say that you should take a break every hour or so (about 10 to 20 minutes) and walk around, eat, look at a distant corner, or any other thing that you can look at 10+ feet.

-Cole H. Senior High School Student

• No conclusively, and uniquely harmful effects.

90% of the arguments made on the Yes side is that it is bad for you because it can cause I strain which may lead to seeing difficulties in the long run, and something regarding "Enough" exercise. I do not see how eye strain can even be used as a harmful effect considering everything you do could cause the exact same problems, you NEVER see people complaining that reading is bad for you because it does the exact same to your eyes minus the background lig... Never-mind with the introduction of various types of E-Readers they are the exactly as harmful so how can you argue one but not the other. And when it comes to exercise I just laugh, these people sit there on their computer saying that too much computer is bad because you won't exercise, please tell me how others who do not use the computer as heavily spend their time, because I can fairly safely presume that it is not spent in the Gym or on a Walk/Run. Also, in no way shape or form is this question asking if spending 40 FREAKING hours on the computer is bad for you, obviously if you do anything for 40 hours it would not be very good for you but how can you take it to such an extreme. This question is asking for the general public maybe even up to a good 10 hours on any given day. Can anyone tell me, conclusively that they live a better life than I because of my time spent on my computer?

• It does not have that bad of an effect

It is something to do, and it helps people with everything in their lives. I have been doing this for a long time, and haven't noticed a lot of bad things because of it. Although I try to spend time wisely being on the computer. I think the computer has helped me a lot.

• Its about your opinion

Nobody tells you how to live your life - then why should you?
    Its okay to have an opinion about it and it may be that it is bad, but is life not about doing what you enjoy? I myself play a lot of games, and sometimes i get "Why do you not go out and socialize more?" And i do socialize, but where others may enjoy hanging out on a café or something like that, i just like to play games. They say "But thats wrong" and no it is not, thats just their opinion and it does not mean a lot to me. Then there are the health issues.. Well where to start.. Eye damage, loneliness? Pf, you can get eye damage just from looking in the sun as well. You can get injured from all sorts of things, a computer is just another thing.. Added to the millions of things that can also injure you..

Anonymous says2013-03-20T16:11:08.793
I agree with all this people that think that videos games are harmful
Anonymous says2013-05-07T11:33:24.223
Its not harmful
Quan says2013-06-11T05:18:54.277
It can have physical consequences in the form of weight gain, back problems, carpal tunnel, etc. If you aren't careful. But being on a computer is not inherently bad. My parents never liked me being on the computer so much, but it put me miles ahead of the other students in the field, and I went on to get both a degree and a career in software engineering. Virtually everyone can benefit from improving their computer skills.