Is Star Trek Into Darkness better than Wrath of Khan?

Asked by: Babeslayer
  • Still Faulty Film

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" still has its faults, but it is better than "The Wrath of Khan" in many respects. The main gripe I have with "Into Darkness" is the lack of a developed antagonist--Khan's stated motivations for his actions don't reflect his evil nature. The movie was better than the first "Star Trek" reboot and better than "Wrath of Khan" for its depth and timeliness in regards to terrorism in contemporary society.

• I like WoK, but I LOVE into Darkness.

I'm not a "treckie", so I'm going into this without a Treck perspective. I watched Wrath of Khan almost a year ago, and I thought it was pretty good. It had a lot of emotions, but William Shatner was pretty cheesy. And Ricardo Mantalban was cool, but he came off a bit over the top.

SPOILER ALERT!

However, I loved the crap out of Into Darkness. It was in interesting take on Wrath of Khan. Benedict Cumberbatch was way better, and Chris Pine was a better actor. Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nemoy are on the same level of performance, but I felt the movie was just way better all around.

• Blockbuster vs Classic

Into Darkness was certainly flashy, witty, and had good actors. But Wrath of Khan was so much deeper. It had better actors (Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and Ricardo did so much better). The theme of the movie was better than the entertainment of Darkness. The "we age and die" underlying concept was amazing, the subtler use of commanding language from Khan to suggest he was something greater than human, the history between them, Khan's direct motivations (which were really a subplot of Darkness, which also better explains Kirk yelling "KHAAAAN!"-he had reason, Khan had nothing to do with Kirk's death), the fight being intellectual rather than physical, Kirk's better planning, the movie may not have looked as polished, but it has more where it counts.

• Blockbuster vs Classic