• Why kill defenseless 3-5 day old human embryos?

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but it is truly a sick practice. Saying that "as long as the embryo feels no pain its okay" is like saying its okay to murder someone in their sleep because "they feel no pain". Is that alright? Is it ethically correct for me to murder someone if I am 100% sure they will feel no pain?
    Now, I don't disagree with stem cell research as a whole, but I disagree with embryotic stem cell transplants.
    I also believe that human life begins as soon as the sperm fertilizes the human egg. What proof is there that the fetus created isn't alive? What makes my life any more important than that 3-5 day old human embryo/ baby?

• Depends on the viewpoint.

Even if you believe that stem cell research kills innocent babies it still follows the ethical principle of Utilitarianism. Therefor it is ethical. On the other hand it violates the principle of principlism (if you believe killing children is wrong) and therefor it is unethical. It always depends on the principle you're following. Of course you could say that is an important principle to act utilitarian and thus t would also be fine with principlism.
    Personally I'm more the "the end justifies the means" kind of person, but you can't objectively say that something is wrong or right/ ethical unethical.

• As long as we don't cross any ethical boundaries, I don't see why stem cell research is unethical in any intrinsic way.

Stem cells can make our lives much better by reprogramming cells to do specific jobs in the human body. For example with stem cells we can repair damaged hearts by implanting new functional tissue. As long as these stem cells are not reprogrammed to make somebody suffer in any way, there is no reason to believe that stem cells are intrinsically unethical.

Ethics are there for a reason; to guide the human conduct in such a way that we can leave peacefully with each other. For example, killing somebody is unethical, not because the institutions say so. But rather because it is a peril to human society; if people could kill at will without any punishment or regret, then the world would be very dangerous.

As long as stem cells are used to the benefit of everybody then by definition, they are being used in a ethical way.

• Yeah it is.

I dont see it isn't? Stem cell research is being done to save lives. Just because it includes removing tissue from a woman's body doesn't mean its wrong. Saving lives and donating tissue to do so isnt bad at all. If you think its wrong then just dont participate. Some people here would like to help save lives and become part of this big medical breakthrough so if you have a problem with that you have no right to tell them what to do.

• No. We are ending lives that haven't even started yet.

People say that stem cell research saves lives. This is true, but it is also ending them. What about those poor unborn children who were denied the right to live. Whoever you are saving or improving has been on earth and spent some time here. The aborted children, on the other hand, have not. You might be destroying the life of the next great President to improve the life of some average joe who will bring more harm to society than good.