• Competition increases one's desire to do well

When there is competition among students, they will be motivated to prove themselves to their peers. They will want to focus on their studies and anything else they face competition in. This in a way encourages them to improve their talents in a particular field and hence helps themAlthough learning is collective, there needs to be an element of competition. Why do students get good grades? So they can be the top of their class. It is powerful motivation and allows students to get ahead. In other words, it is the drive for students to succeed. To be successful in life, you have to collaborate, yet you also need to stand-out from other people. If you don't have the competitive spirit, you won't have the edge in college admissions and job applications. You have to be competitive AND know how to work well with others.

• Yes it is.

Student competitiveness is a good thing because it encourages the student to try harder and try to understand and learn more about what ever it is they are competing for. It is a good way to make the student feel rewarded when they do well, and strive to do better when they do badly.

• Competition increases one's desire to do well.

When there is competition among students, they will be motivated to prove themselves to their peers. They will want to focus on their studies and anything else they face competition in. This in a way encourages them to improve their talents in a particular field and hence helps them.
    Posted: Amartya

• Teaches Students about the Real Word

Competition will surround a person all their life. Why would you shelter a student from that? Competition is so good, it makes a student work for something, trying to be the best that they can be. If schools keep it up with their new 'everyone is a winner' statements, kids aren't going to strive to be their best because they know they will always be the same as everyone else. Competition builds self confidence, self discipline, and prepares students for the real world. As long as they learn how to lose gracefully, and respect other competitors, competition is an incredibly healthy, character building experience.

• Of course

Competition gives a boost of confidence - especially when you are the victorious one. It is fun and you can have light competition which spurs students on to do well.

• Competition Creates Incentives to Learn.

Although learning is collective, there needs to be an element of competition. Why do students get good grades? So they can be the top of their class. It is powerful motivation and allows students to get ahead. In other words, it is the drive for students to succeed. To be successful in life, you have to collaborate, yet you also need to stand-out from other people. If you don't have the competitive spirit, you won't have the edge in college admissions and job applications. You have to be competitive AND know how to work well with others.

• It's called life

You will compete for a job, a mate, an apartment. You will compete for the attention of the bartender or the parking spot two lanes over. Life is nothing but a competition. Why shelter kids?

When there is competition among students, they will be motivated to prove themselves to their peers. They will want to focus on their studies and anything else they face competition in. This in a way encourages them to improve their talents in a particular field and hence helps them

• Competition is de-motivating.

Mark twain or someone once said, "don't let your education get in the way or your learning". I find that dealing with obnoxious, competitive assholes makes me hate school, and become therefore less engaged. I'm also a freaking genius, and don't need to go to so much trouble to be better than the next guy. It's great that I was born smart, or course, but that's good luck on my part, and I don't really feel that I have anything to prove. Competitive environments also encourage jealousy, and I'm sick and tired of people trying to ruin my life because I'm smarter or prettier or have better people skills than they. One succeeds or fails due to any number of factors, hard work only being one of them. Personally I have found that natural ability, background, creativity, exhibiting politeness and maintaining a sense of humor to be just as, if not more relevant to achieving one's goals.

• Competitiveness has its own drawbacks.

Well, everything that is written about people being competitive and striving for a better living opportunities is, of course, great. But in this situation, sword is double-edged, that is to say, let us not forget about adverse consequences entailed to competitiveness. Nowadays it is common that people compare each other and try to achieve as much as your friend. Maybe the person do not even want to achieve something in that particular sphere, but he does so because of his friend, and of course in order to not to be worse than he. Nevertheless, it is impossible to be equally skilled and talented and there are different personalities. If your friend is a great businessmen and earn a lot of money and drives a Ferrari, it does not mean that you have to do so in order to earn all those money. Maybe you do not have that competitive spirit and you are more artistic for instance. All I want to say is that competitiveness leads to depression, which is a very common illness nowadays not only among the adults, but among the teenagers as well. And it is all about trying to be the best, instead to create something really good in a group with other people!!!!

• Learning Is Collective.

Learning is not for competition. Learning is for everyone to understand how to do things in life. Sharing and trading your information with others while you learn advances everyone with a fraction of the effort per person. For example, if your assignment requires reading a long book, you can split everyone's share and then share the general idea of the book. One of my teachers said that he did that himself in high school and he along with the rest of the group got the highest marks on the assignment. Learning should be for everyone.