• The pain inflicted on others is worse than the pain person was experiencing

I have experienced suicide first hand and words can not even begin to explain the deep hurt and anger I feel. The worst part is that this anger and pain is never going to leave because I am never going to know why the person did it. Yes, I believe something was psychologically wrong but help was on its way! Things will and can get better! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that leaves those closest to them wondering what they could have done differently, how they could have helped, why didn't they provide more help or do something sooner? Its selfish because the person who committed the act is free of pain but the people they love are left with a suffering that can't be understood unless experienced firsthand.

• You should endure the pain you go through to save others from it.

Killing yourself is selfish in any way you think about it. It hurts people who care about you, and you killing yourself will cause such emotional grief to them that it should be enough to sway one from suicide.
    You stick it out if you're going through bad times so that the people who would grieve you wont go through that pain.

• Suicide is selfish

They are so absorbed in the bad of their own lives. They don't think about the other people in their lives. Like the parents who gave them life. They don't take the fact that there will be people who mourn and feel sorrow because of their suicide. There is more lives hurt by them taking their own life.

• Suicide is selfish, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is always unjustified.

A selfish act is one in which the person only thinks of himself/herself, and does not worry about others. Although I believe suicide does fit this criteria, I cannot imagine what those that commit suicide were going through. It is a last resort for those that feel completely helpless against the onslaught of daily struggles that people face in life. Some people have much worse luck than others, and in some cases, the thought that things will never get better may actually be realistic. It is selfish, because it is an act that is solely for the individual, and does not worry about the consequences on the family and friends. But to be in such a situation where everything seems hopeless must also be terrible, and I cannot condemn those that chose to end their lives.

• By definition, suicide is selfish

Selfish- lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure:
    http://www.Oxforddictionaries.Com/definition/english/selfish

The person committing suicide is concerned only with ending his/her own suffering, which is an obvious profit, hence a selfish act.

The person committing suicide is also not concerned about other people's well being, for example their family and friends who will receive serious psychological damage sometimes even permanently.

The only exception to this is doing something suicidal to save another life, as rightfully pointed out by one of the voters.
    But by and large, suicide is selfish.

• Sorry, people; but yes it is

I believe suicide is the most selfish act someone can commit in most cases. (Unless the person gives his life to save another.) The suicidal person is not considering all the good he can do in the world and for himself. To just end it all is ultimately a cop-out from life for someone who doesn't know how to deal with it. No wonder so many teenagers commit suicide, they think they have it so bad they want to kill themselves, but they don't realize adolescence is only the beginning of life's problems. I've had multiple problems and tragedies throughout my life but I persevered and got through it, and suicide never entered my mind ONCE. To get through them requires a perseverance and ability to see all the good in being alive. There is no justification whatsoever to just cop out on life.

• Wanting to Live is a conscious choice - You have a choice... Be a Victim or rise above it.

I have had all the reasons in the word to make that decision... I form part of statistics. I was sexually abused as a child... My childhood was stormy - my home was a pressure cooker of arguments and thick atmospheres... My parents fought all the time... Mostly about me.... I had to endure the loss of people I cared for throughout my life... My biological father died in a gas explosion at work ... @ 19 yrs old... I lost my fiancé when they hijacked and killed him. My family went through trauma when my step dad was hijacked in their driveway while my mom and I looked on in horror. One of my friends died in a accident at work... 2 years ago my best guy friend was viciously attacked when he got home.. He was stabbed 30 times and they slit his throat(he survived).... 2010 I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy which helped me to identify my triggers and understand my emotions... I have had one stormy relationship after another until I finally got married and am currently in what I would not call the fairytale... My husband has PTSD and just like me has his own demons to fight. But through all of this... Even though the thought of ending it came up many times... I looked at the bigger picture... I thought of my mother and my kids and everyone who would be in severe pain and anguish for the rest of their lives cause I didn't want to fight anymore. I didn't just survive my life so far by crawling into a corner and deciding to give up... I constructively decided not to be a victim of my life and let all theses things DEFINE who I am. I took my medication for the chemical imbalances for the brain but I made the choice to find books and audios on positive affirmation / positive internal dialog and even books with religious connotation even though I have grown in spirit rather that religion. No one was goanna save me... Because the hole of depression I created with my own mind was so deep that no one could reach me.... I made a conscious decision to be my own saviour. And even though I still battle anxiety and depression some days... I don't allow it to consume me. AT THE END OF THE DAY.... IT's a choice.... I had to make it.... Just like any other person fighting their demons has to.... If you cant fly... Then you run... If you cant run... Then you walk... If life knocks is so severe that you can't walk ... Then you crawl.... But whatever you do... YOU HAVE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD. Mental illness is no excuse. I have mental illness but I decided to accept and adapted and learn how to deal with my triggers(without the help of a psychologist)

• What about the grief you are going to leave for everyone that loves you.

If someone loves the people around them, then those people are above anything else. A mother's pain from losing a child will not compare to any other. And the kids, why should they have to suffer losing a parent. It's weakness and laziness, an easy way out. There are parents and children fighting for their life just to take away a perfectly healthy life.

(unless the person is terminally ill and in immense pain)

• The idea that suicide is selfish can help prevent suicide (if put in a certain way)

Example: One idea commonly responsible for suicide is that one is a burden while alive (especially to their loved ones), and the idea that suicide is selfish goes against this extremely toxic idea. People with this idea should be brought to attention to the fact that they will actually be more of a burden to those who truly love them if they commit suicide. Furthermore, this isn’t just a burden of loss, this is one that causes potentially unwarranted guilt, which comes from your loved ones questioning their own worth in being unable to stop your action of suicide forever. The kind of guilt caused by suicidal cases can haunt someone forever, and can even cause another suicide. A butterfly effect potentially ensues. The idea that suicide is selfish, when phrased and propagated carefully, could prevent many suicides that stem from the idea that committing suicide is “doing the world a favor” when it does the exact opposite.

• Yes. Especially if you have kids.

My dad killed himself 1/1/74 when I was 6. It is something that is incredibly selfish & proof that my dad only cared about himself. Why have 5 kids & then just kill yourself? I will never understand it. Never! Val Kilmer said what I was thinking. My Mom is my hero. She raised 5 kids by herself & worked several jobs to get us through school. She is amazing! My dad will always be the selfish coward who committed suicide.

• Just give them a reason to live.

If someone commits suicide, I can promise there is a reason why. They felt abandoned or everything they felt was too hard to handle. Maybe they were tormented. What is selfish is too allow someone to feel the need to off themselves, not considering all of what could happen. A suicidal person feels that they are burdening the world, and I'm not trying to glamorize suicide, but most think they are doing the world a favor.

Posted by: TazM
  • Its more selfish to say its selfish

Its more selfish for the person to want the suicidal person to stay in the world, for their own needs. Suicide is not selfish in many ways. Its an act of a depressed mood and a desperate act. You cant think straight. Im sure your not thinking of yourself. I honestly think its their choice and their life and we have control over our lives, and we choose what we do with our life. Isn't it selfish to want someone to stay on the planet just so we can be happy, and leave the person in pain. Suicide is not selfish because your experiencing a whole lot of pain, and maybe you got all the help you can get and nothing happened. Its mire selfish to say its selfish, cause you want them to stay on the planet for YOUR own needs

• It is not

Many may disagree but suicide is not selfish. The reasoning behind this is that if one is to come to a point where they feel like they have nothing to live for and want to commit suicide everyone around that person is to blame. No one around this person has put in an effort to care about this person while the are/were alive so they do not get to say it is a selfish act and care, or pretend like it anyway, when they do commit suicide

• I don't think it is.

To say it is selfish seems to imply that we have a fundamental duty to prioritize the needs of others as our ultimate reason for existence. A person who wants to commit suicide ultimately sees no reason to continue living (or at least that the reasons to continue do not outweigh the reasons to not continue) so to stay alive for the sake of others necessarily means that your life is only important or primarily important because of what you owe to other people which is a concept I'm not sure I can accept.

• It's not selfish.

I am suicidal and I can tell you that killing myself is always in my mind. I know that I'll hurt my family but I can't stand the pain and feelings in my head. I won't kill myself to hurt people that "love" me. And nobody actually cares about me so I don't care either. Suicide isn't selfish. And only people that never thought about it or never tried to commit it can say that.

• Its not the suicidal persons fault most of the time!

90% of people who die by suicide had a mental disorder, this means in many cases they are extremely phychologically impaired and, while they may be able to think mostly rationally, they are convinced that THEY are the problem, and that the pain will ONLY end through suicide. Its not selfish because it wasn't really thier choice that was made in the first place. It was not thier fault. I understand the extreme collateral damage that it causes and that is where many make thier arguments. But you again assume they were making the decision based solely on their RATIONAL thoughts and were thinking of what would happen to their friends and family. They were in too much pain and were too blinded by thier mental disorder to make logical decisions for their own safety and for the future of those around them.

• Suicide isn't a selfish act.

It is the option of the person to do what will make them feel better. Some turn to drugs or alcohol to make them feel better, but in the end, they will just end up low. Suicide is sad and hurts those around you, but to want someone be in your life when they don't is more selfish. To take their own freedom away isn't right.

• Saying it is selfish hurts more.

Telling someone that it is selfish to want to die hurts them more. They can't help what they feel. I would know. I have gone through this. Those people will eventually get over it. It is hard to sit with the pain and it is hard to deal with the other people causing you pain. I know. And instead of them telling you that it is selfish, they should want to help you, not bring you down more.

• Suicide is not selfish

People commit suicide because they feel like everyone would be better off without them. A person only sees suicide as the only option when they're in so much pain that they can't see any other way of getting rid of it. Yes, it may hurt the people who loved them, but people die all the time. This death is no different from any others.

• Suicide is the outcome of a very serious illness.

For someone to end their own life, they will most likely be in a horrific amount of mental or physical pain. It is the end result for a person who can no longer continue to live with the mental or physical pain that they endure every single day. We all have different ways of dealing with life and what comes with it- Just because one person doesn't feel suicidal about what has happened in their life, doesn't mean another won't feel that way. To say that someone who has committed suicide is 'selfish' or 'cowardly' is extremely narrow minded and inconsiderate.