• The pain inflicted on others is worse than the pain person was experiencing

I have experienced suicide first hand and words can not even begin to explain the deep hurt and anger I feel. The worst part is that this anger and pain is never going to leave because I am never going to know why the person did it. Yes, I believe something was psychologically wrong but help was on its way! Things will and can get better! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that leaves those closest to them wondering what they could have done differently, how they could have helped, why didn't they provide more help or do something sooner? Its selfish because the person who committed the act is free of pain but the people they love are left with a suffering that can't be understood unless experienced firsthand.

• You should endure the pain you go through to save others from it.

Killing yourself is selfish in any way you think about it. It hurts people who care about you, and you killing yourself will cause such emotional grief to them that it should be enough to sway one from suicide.
    You stick it out if you're going through bad times so that the people who would grieve you wont go through that pain.

• Suicide is selfish

They are so absorbed in the bad of their own lives. They don't think about the other people in their lives. Like the parents who gave them life. They don't take the fact that there will be people who mourn and feel sorrow because of their suicide. There is more lives hurt by them taking their own life.

• Suicide is selfish, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is always unjustified.

A selfish act is one in which the person only thinks of himself/herself, and does not worry about others. Although I believe suicide does fit this criteria, I cannot imagine what those that commit suicide were going through. It is a last resort for those that feel completely helpless against the onslaught of daily struggles that people face in life. Some people have much worse luck than others, and in some cases, the thought that things will never get better may actually be realistic. It is selfish, because it is an act that is solely for the individual, and does not worry about the consequences on the family and friends. But to be in such a situation where everything seems hopeless must also be terrible, and I cannot condemn those that chose to end their lives.

• By definition, suicide is selfish

Selfish- lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure:
    http://www.Oxforddictionaries.Com/definition/english/selfish

The person committing suicide is concerned only with ending his/her own suffering, which is an obvious profit, hence a selfish act.

The person committing suicide is also not concerned about other people's well being, for example their family and friends who will receive serious psychological damage sometimes even permanently.

The only exception to this is doing something suicidal to save another life, as rightfully pointed out by one of the voters.
    But by and large, suicide is selfish.

• Sorry, people; but yes it is

I believe suicide is the most selfish act someone can commit in most cases. (Unless the person gives his life to save another.) The suicidal person is not considering all the good he can do in the world and for himself. To just end it all is ultimately a cop-out from life for someone who doesn't know how to deal with it. No wonder so many teenagers commit suicide, they think they have it so bad they want to kill themselves, but they don't realize adolescence is only the beginning of life's problems. I've had multiple problems and tragedies throughout my life but I persevered and got through it, and suicide never entered my mind ONCE. To get through them requires a perseverance and ability to see all the good in being alive. There is no justification whatsoever to just cop out on life.

• No matter how you look at it... Yes it is.

The concept of selfishness if enhancing ones own personal interest without the proper consideration or concern for others. If a person commits suicide, their family is (normally) very saddened by this and their friends always are. Suicide is extremely traumatic for those who are left behind and can cause a lot more pain than that of a "natural" for death for those people have to live with the fact that that person despised life so much, that they wanted to die.

I'm not condemning suicide, but there is no way that you can deny that it is not a selfish act. It is done purely in the interests (of ending suffering) for one person. If that person was to act selflessly, they would not inflict the incredible pain of loss upon their friends and family.

Of course there are situations when suicide is not selfish. Such as ending your life due to terminal illness and the likes of euthanasia and assisted suicide. But that really is different territory. Unless those who you know support the ending of you life (due to terminal illness and such), suicide is a selfish act.

• Yes I would say in most cases

My husband died almost 5 years age he was being bullied by his brother I heard them having an argument over the phone a week before. Can't go into to much detail on here I asked my husband what was going on with him and his brother he would not talk about it. I believe his death was a cry wolf gone wrong. My son and I were abandoned by my husband he should have done something about his brother who have be abusive to us for years. I was blamed by the rest of my husband's family for his death. He left a 17 year old behind. My son has come though thing very well no thanks to the way my in-laws behaviour which was a disgrace. It depends on individual circumstances. In my husband's case it was selfish. He left us to deal with fallout and I will never forgive him for tha

• Just give them a reason to live.

If someone commits suicide, I can promise there is a reason why. They felt abandoned or everything they felt was too hard to handle. Maybe they were tormented. What is selfish is too allow someone to feel the need to off themselves, not considering all of what could happen. A suicidal person feels that they are burdening the world, and I'm not trying to glamorize suicide, but most think they are doing the world a favor.

Posted by: TazM
  • Its more selfish to say its selfish

Its more selfish for the person to want the suicidal person to stay in the world, for their own needs. Suicide is not selfish in many ways. Its an act of a depressed mood and a desperate act. You cant think straight. Im sure your not thinking of yourself. I honestly think its their choice and their life and we have control over our lives, and we choose what we do with our life. Isn't it selfish to want someone to stay on the planet just so we can be happy, and leave the person in pain. Suicide is not selfish because your experiencing a whole lot of pain, and maybe you got all the help you can get and nothing happened. Its mire selfish to say its selfish, cause you want them to stay on the planet for YOUR own needs

• It is not

Many may disagree but suicide is not selfish. The reasoning behind this is that if one is to come to a point where they feel like they have nothing to live for and want to commit suicide everyone around that person is to blame. No one around this person has put in an effort to care about this person while the are/were alive so they do not get to say it is a selfish act and care, or pretend like it anyway, when they do commit suicide

• I don't think it is.

To say it is selfish seems to imply that we have a fundamental duty to prioritize the needs of others as our ultimate reason for existence. A person who wants to commit suicide ultimately sees no reason to continue living (or at least that the reasons to continue do not outweigh the reasons to not continue) so to stay alive for the sake of others necessarily means that your life is only important or primarily important because of what you owe to other people which is a concept I'm not sure I can accept.

• Suicide is the outcome of a very serious illness.

For someone to end their own life, they will most likely be in a horrific amount of mental or physical pain. It is the end result for a person who can no longer continue to live with the mental or physical pain that they endure every single day. We all have different ways of dealing with life and what comes with it- Just because one person doesn't feel suicidal about what has happened in their life, doesn't mean another won't feel that way. To say that someone who has committed suicide is 'selfish' or 'cowardly' is extremely narrow minded and inconsiderate.

• No it is not selfish.

People say suicide is a selfish act. I say no. Treating someone so badly and pushing people commit suicide and take their own lives is the absolute worst thing a person could do. Because not only are you killing the body, but you are killing the soul. Pushing others to attempt/commit suicide is the worst form of selfish betrayal I have ever heard of. There are consequences for everything that we do.

• Suicide is not selfish , people who make them commit suicide are selfish

Well i want to make an argument about this topic. I agree many people like to think suicide is selfish but if you investigate it closer it's not. Most of them who commit suicide have depression . While if you ask how depression comes from? Depression have many causes not only one. But mostly it comes from being bullied. Cyberbullying is the main cause of suicide and the recent discussion now a day.But i agree in some point to the people who say suicide is selfish.Yes suicide can be sometimes selfish if that person want to ask attention from people and not satisfy of what other people give to you for example: your girlfriend/boyfriend broke up with you and you want to commit suicide just because you want him/her to stay with you for ever. In this case it's absolutely selfish because you only focus on your need.But on the other hand such as being bullied it's not selfish . Because being bullied has nothing to do with selfish. And you should understand them also. And those who devote yes should better have more empathy on other people instead of blaming on them .If you were being bullied , how would you do ? You would suffer as well. I doubt that you would feel depressed just like the victims.Bullying is not only making fun or insulting other people but it's a torture against other person. While those bully they try find a ways one way on the another to make that person feel bad as much as they can.Also cyberbullying is a very mean act more than traditionally bullying.Everyone can see what your post and you feel embarrassed. I fully understand the victims . In conclusion those who make them commit suicide are more selfish than those who commit suicide.

• Burden in others

The main reason suicide should not be seen as selfish is due to the fact that those people who suffer from depression (I cant speak for any other reasons than this) begin to feel that they are a burdon on others. Yes they may think about themselves at some point but I tell u the last thing they think is along the lines of "they would be so much better off without me" and they honestly believe that.

• Think About This Rationally...

If a individual is suicidal then they don't feel as though they are wanted nor needed in the world. They feel as though by committing suicide they are getting out of your way and allowing others to live their own lives.

They are effectively giving up their lives so that you can live your life in a happier way - or at least that is what they believe, what they tell themselves.

I'm not here to promote suicide or anything but I think that there is a deep misunderstanding of what goes through a suicidal person's head and the general public needs to realise that it's barely ever 'Me me me'. It's also easy to blame them for your lack of coping in their death and, trust me, wherever they are if they could see/hear you blaming them they would reverse what they have done.

My point is that an act is not necessarily selfish if the person has done it believing that it is for the greater good of all of their loved ones.

• Its definitely not

I have personally experienced suicide and have tried to kill myself and if someone is going to kill themselves they have a good reason nobody just kills themselves for no reason. You may be hurt by them leaving but if they feel like they are in too much pain to live than they honestly have a good reason.